Anxiety - tips to relax instantly!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was almost agraphobic late last year. I saw a CBT counsellor, and also used EFT, which is a form of tapping, its very very good.
I used this tapping technique and it is good although not very useful in a shop because you look like a right weirdo tapping strange bits of your body in public!! Thats why I like the band technique because its descrete and you can save the tapping for at home or when you are locked in a loo (yes I've done this at work when things have got really bad!)

I always had my attacks in public because that was my worst fear making a fool of myself infront of others. I never had them when I was with hubby. He is my rock but its tough on him.:confused:

To this day some of my friends haven't got a clue what I go through and it was so so hard telling my best friend because I was such a good actress but I made my self ill covering it up.

I also have a phobia called emetophobia which is the fear of sickness/sick/being sick/others being sick. Its horrible and it rules my life. I hate it:cry:

Its the reason for all my anxiety problems.

Does anyone else know the original cause for their anxiety troubles?

what brilliant thread .. so good to know that i am not the only one with these symptoms.. Thanks everyone i really enjoyed reading your replies. I found hypnotherapy and a monthly de stressed deep massage helps for me ..
and also wiggling your toes is a massive mind diverter !!!

Anxiety is a funny thing it can be brought on due to stress or it can be apart of a more serious illness the way it is treated is different in both these cases and I would say to anyone having Anxiety AND if you dont have a mental illness then take a step back and look at the amount you are doing and if you are over doing things then slow down and make more time for yourself, Also you have control over your thoughts so make them more positive all this will help. For people with severe depression with anxiety GET PROFESSIONAL HELP.

I agree with this. Reactive depression is normal and very common - deep depression needs addressing with a Dr. I do not want to make people feel like their Depression is not a real illness and can be cured with a few Crystals and some Rescue Remedy.. but I also want people to realise that they aren't necessarily mentally ill because they are having panic attacks. You have to look within and determine when and why these attacks came on... it has taken me several years to realise that my Anxiety REALLY started in late childhood. I always believed it begain a couple of years ago.. but that was because I started getting the Panic Attacks... the having to run from wherever I was! BUT.. this isn't always the case. Some people are totally overwhelmed with everyday life, or situations beyond their control.. and it all builds up and then they start to get anxious.. it creeps up slowly.

First time it happened.. I was at the PC. I felt like I was losing my mind and I had to get out of the house.. so I rang a cab and took a silly little handbag with me, with some money in and my Toothbrush. I fled to my friend who is an RMN (Mental Health Nurse) and told him to take me to the Psychiatric unit - funny how I was so concerned about my teeth :green:

He refused, poor bloke had done a night shift and actually fell asleep whilst I was telling him I'd lost the plot... I made him phone my boyfriend (now husband) and tell him I wasn't coming home as I was nuts!!!

I also have a phobia called emetophobia which is the fear of sickness/sick/being sick/others being sick. Its horrible and it rules my life. I hate it:cry:

Its the reason for all my anxiety problems.

Does anyone else know the original cause for their anxiety troubles?

I have exactly the same thing. The severity comes and goes depending on what's going on in my life. I've always had it and i think it stems from being ill a few times in public as a child, plus my mum had the same phobia as a child so i think some of it rubbed off on me!!

It puts me off ever wanting children in case they are ill and i can't cope.

When I told a close couple of me and my bfs they were shocked at how severe it was - they thought I just didn't like it! It's still very difficult to tell people as I feel people look down on me because of it....even though I know I shouldn't care...

#1 thing to always repeat to yourself when feeling stressed and panicked..

This Too Shall Pass

Nothing is forever. Breathe deep and slow. Think serene thoughts. Do imagary.
Think and picture yourself on a white sand beach sitting under a palm tree in a lounge chair, feeling the warm breeze gently caressing your skin, looking out at the beautiful clear blue water with the waves gently lapping the shore, hear the birds, feel the sun..Breathe deep and slow.

Let yourself sink into this image.

Meditation works wonders also. Do not do it only when you are feeling panic but every morning and every night. It is very focusing and relaxing.

it has taken me several years to realise that my Anxiety REALLY started in late childhood. I always believed it begain a couple of years ago.. but that was because I started getting the Panic Attacks... the having to run from wherever I was! BUT.. this isn't always the case. Some people are totally overwhelmed with everyday life, or situations beyond their control.. and it all builds up and then they start to get anxious.. it creeps up slowly.

So brilliantly explained! I thought the same thing but over the years have come to realise it started in my mid teens, as did my depression.

At the moment my depression seems to be under control, thanks to medication. Everyone has different opinions on taking meds, but in my case this is the only thing that makes a significant difference.

I'm still having a bit of a 'mare with anxiety, but the CBT seems to be helping and I've totally stopped having panic attacks. I'm looking forward to the day I wake up in the morning without being scared of what may happen.

It puts me off ever wanting children in case they are ill and i can't cope.

Yeah I am dreading having kids too cos its just sods law that I will get bad morning sicness and then have a sickly child.

My best friend is pregnant and in the early stages I was nervous to be around her incase she started feeling ill.

I dread the day me or my husband gets a bug and I don't drink either or like going clubbing incase I or someone else is sick. Life is really boring and I know I'm gonna wake up in 30 years time and regret not doing things. It totally holds me and my husband back.

I wish I had another phobia like snakes cos you can avoid that but bugs and sickness is impossible. You wouln't believe how I FREAK if I get wind of a stomach bug in the local area. I'm even scary to me. I completely flip and would go into hiding if my family and life would allow.:cry:

Yeah I am dreading having kids too cos its just sods law that I will get bad morning sicness and then have a sickly child.

My best friend is pregnant and in the early stages I was nervous to be around her incase she started feeling ill.

I dread the day me or my husband gets a bug and I don't drink either or like going clubbing incase I or someone else is sick. Life is really boring and I know I'm gonna wake up in 30 years time and regret not doing things. It totally holds me and my husband back.

I wish I had another phobia like snakes cos you can avoid that but bugs and sickness is impossible. You wouln't believe how I FREAK if I get wind of a stomach bug in the local area. I'm even scary to me. I completely flip and would go into hiding if my family and life would allow.:cry:

I know exactly what you mean. I'd be the same. Although I would say the severity had got less since i've been seeing the CBT.

I had the phobia as a child but then it went away as i got older (although still hated it - but i could watch someone be sick on ER and not freak out that I was going to be!). However 2 yrs ago i was away with my bf and got ill - it really wasn't bad at all looking back and was barely anything (i think due to a temperature and acid problems) but it bought it all back.

Since then it got worse and worse and i was terrifeid it would happen again. Not a lot of people understand what we go through :(

Tell me about it.
When I tell people I have a phobia about being sick they say;

"Well no body LIKES being sick".

Its so embarrassing to try and explain to everyone why you are freaking out watching tv or if someone is sick on a night out.

It really gets me down.

Latest posts

Back