Anxiety - tips to relax instantly!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here Teri... you think a little nomal thought.. and then whoops... in 10 minutes.. you've envisaged something that even Wes Craven couldn't imagine!

omg i thought that was just me that did that :eek:, great thread hun :hug:

Just Joking ..... but
VALIUM
XANAX
VODKA :)
OR TRY AND GET RID OF WHATS STRESSING YOU
I suffer fom anxiety every now and then, try and remember things will often be better the next day.
Rescue remedy is good, as are herbal teas.

Rescue remedy is good, as are herbal teas.

You can buy Rescue Remedy in different forms... it's brilliant stuff..

as for Valium.. I think it's given out as diazepam here.. is it called Valium over there?

Thankyou for this thread Caroline xxx

Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to the nausea ? Thanks

I had this for about 6 months quite severly - was never actually sick but couldn't face food and lost a lot of weight. Seeing the CBT guy has helped a lot I think as it's another symptom of anxiety/stress.

I think the best thing is to sit down and try and work out why you're nauseous - is it something that's happened to you or you're worried will happen to you and then try to deal with that.

Deep breathing and meditation is good - although I'm the first to admit I can't be bothered with it!!

If you want any more help PM me and I'll do my best!! xx

18 months ago I couldn't even walk out the front door. My anxiety got so bad I ended up seriously agoraphobic. CBT did me the world of good and you really can't beat rescue remedy.

If you're having a panic attack remember it is highly unlikely you'll faint. It's your body's natural fight or flight response to what you perceive to be a dangerous or frightening situation. If you were being chased by a lion, passing out would not be an option! Your body is going to do everything it can to prevent being eaten!:)

As has been said before breathe in for 10, hold for 3 and out for 11. This also helps to distract you.

Keeping the light-hearted thing going ...

stress-picture-stress-relief-kit.jpg

omg i thought that was just me that did that :eek:, great thread hun :hug:

Same here Teri... you think a little nomal thought.. and then whoops... in 10 minutes.. you've envisaged something that even Wes Craven couldn't imagine!

well that makes me feel better, i am soooooo always doing this, tom says sometimes the situations my imagination invents, are unbelievable, and i end up a nervous wreck, then the things ive got myself worked up about, dont happen (obviously) and i end up wondering why i worried myself sick for nothing,

but i cant stop it, its like i always see the worst in a situation, i sit and think it through, seeing what could go wrong etc, and almost feel relieved if you like when it dosent (even though never in a million years would it happen) this isnt going to make sense to anyone who hasnt done this i bet lol

great thread caroline, i needed to read this today, i really did hun thanks xxxx

I dont think that you should knock doctors for perscribing medication especially when it comes to depression and mental illness. Mental illnesses are very serious and thinking happy thoughts alone does not help everyone.

My mother suffers from bipolar disorder, and started off with anxiety attacks, then depression and had a nervous breakdown, which turned out to be almost 2 years of a manic episode. Just thinking about that time in our lives is upsetting, let alone talking about it.

Bipolar disorder, depression etc... is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Medication saved my mother's life. The minute she stops taking it I can see a change in her for the worse. I do not want to lose her again.

It is true that no one likes to take medication, but sometimes it is necessary.
So if you are feeling depressed or having anxiety attacks, don't dismiss it and let people tell you it is nothing. Go and see your doctor.

There are certain things to do that can encourage positive thoughts and behaviour and we should remember to take time out to relax and have fun.

Im sorry if i seem so serious but this affected my life in a massive way and i dont think its something to take lightly.

As most of you know I wear my heart on my sleeve and I am a very open and trusting person :hug:

But this is still hard for me to talk about as it makes me feel like some sort of failure - but here goes!

Some years back I was diagnosed with manic depression and life can be extremely difficult at times when you are on a "low" cycle. Even the tablets do not always keep you on an even keel but they do help enormously and like Monikinha says, my hubby and close friends can tell straight away if I have missed my tablets.

I have been through every type of counselling/cbt/therapy you can think of with one exception and that is the shock treatment - which I do not intend to have!

In NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) it is believed that every time you repeat a thought eg "I am the worst person in the world" then it deepens the brains pathways - that is the thought becomes deeper and deeper ingrained into your personality/thoughts etc.

So someone, who is depressed - either clinically or due to a certain situation, will be deepening these pathways and then becoming more and more depressed/anxious - or if you have panic attacks then you probably will end up having more because the fear of having one, will bring one on iykwim.

This is where the positive thinking comes in - because obviously if repeated negative thoughts can create deep pathways in the brain, then so can positive thoughts - easy peasy you may think! BUT nope - it isn't !!!

Many of you may agree that it is the recurring thoughts that drag you down and a really simple thing of having an elastic band around your wrist and twanging it (sorry can't think of a more descriptive word :eek:) when the thought is running riot in your head works a treat! Why? well because the pain is quite intense and the shock breaks your train of thought! The downfall is that if you are really wrapped up in your thoughts then you forget to twang it!

Writing things down- you can always burn the piece of paper or shredd it afterwards
Cry and when you have finished cry some more
Stay away from negative people as much as possible
Share problems with a trusted person
Go to an isolated spot and scream and shout at all the injustice you feel - do this until you are exhausted
Go to the bottle bank and smash the bottles as hard as you can when throwing them in

I will remember some more later (gotta go and sort the littleuns out) but most of all

REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD THAT FEELS LIKE IT AND IT IS OK TO FEEL LIKE IT FROM TIME TO TIME ! there will always be someone somewhere who will understand BUT if you don't let people know, they can not help and support you :hug::hug:

I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks when I was about 20. I felt like a freak to be suffering from something like anxiety when I was supposed to be happy and having the time of my life. It was ruining my life and stopping me coping with everyday life let alone anything big.:cry: I'm getting upset just writing this!!!

I went to the doctors who were useless. They wanted to put me on pills which I didn't want because that to me was really admitting something was wrong. I knew there was something very wrong but for me drugs were a final solution.

So I went for councelling. The NHS waiting list was a year!! So I paid myself.

I went to a special type of counceller (sorry can't remember the name) who used your body and how you were physically feeling to work out how to control the anxiety.

Makes sense really because you need to understand what is happening to your body before you can begin to control it.

Anxiety and panic attacks are simply a build up of addrenalin and your body has to get rid of it either by fainting,being sick,loosing your breath etc. The trick is to reduce the addrenalin before it builds up too much and gets to the fainting/sick stage.

The best 2 bits of advise I can give are-

Learn to breath correctly! Sounds silly but majority of anxiety prone people breath wrong.

To breath correctly you should breath in through your nose. As you do so your stomach (yes stomach!) should expand outwards. Breath out through your mouth and deflait your stomach as you exhale.

The next thing is to distract your mind when you do start to think thoughts that will cause you to panic.

The best way is pain!! I also wear an elastic band or tight bobble around my wrist and when I think "bad thoughts" just ping it. The pain sends a shock thought of ouch to your brain and interups your bad thought process.

These 2 techniques saved my life.

Hope they help someone else too.:hug:

Gosh there are alot of us who have/are suffering with anxiety on here.:hug:

I was almost agraphobic late last year. I saw a CBT counsellor, and also used EFT, which is a form of tapping, its very very good.

I also did a little bit of Reiki on myself, I'm not trained and wouldnt use it on anyone else but I am attuned and both my parents were/are Masters.

Recue Remedy is fabulous, but I got into the othet Bach Flower Remedies, and made my own mix but also to this day I carry a make-up bag full of the ones I need, should the moment arise.Remedy Chooser helps you choose what you need.

Star of Bethlehem has helped me get through the shock of my Mum dying.

I also joined a forum for panic sufferers, that really helped. If anyone wants the link then please PM me.

I have had a couple of mild attacks since I lost my Mum, one was in a shop, but I just brazened it out thinking "what is the worst that will happen?" it really helped and I managed to complete my shopping!

Can I ask without sounding thick, What is rescue remedy???

Teri x:hug:

Can I ask without sounding thick, What is rescue remedy???

It's a miracle!! It's a homeopathic remedy - flower extracts in a grape wine solution to calm/reassure. You put drops straight on your tongue (or they sell a spray). My bf says I smell like an alcoholic coz i'm always using it!!

Bach Remedies - RESCUE - Home page

xx

It's a miracle!! It's a homeopathic remedy - flower extracts in a grape wine solution to calm/reassure. You put drops straight on your tongue (or they sell a spray). My bf says I smell like an alcoholic coz i'm always using it!!

Bach Remedies - RESCUE - Home page

xx

So it's alcohol based then??

As most of you know I wear my heart on my sleeve and I am a very open and trusting person :hug:

But this is still hard for me to talk about as it makes me feel like some sort of failure - but here goes!

Some years back I was diagnosed with manic depression and life can be extremely difficult at times when you are on a "low" cycle. Even the tablets do not always keep you on an even keel but they do help enormously and like Monikinha says, my hubby and close friends can tell straight away if I have missed my tablets.

I have been through every type of counselling/cbt/therapy you can think of with one exception and that is the shock treatment - which I do not intend to have!

In NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) it is believed that every time you repeat a thought eg "I am the worst person in the world" then it deepens the brains pathways - that is the thought becomes deeper and deeper ingrained into your personality/thoughts etc.

So someone, who is depressed - either clinically or due to a certain situation, will be deepening these pathways and then becoming more and more depressed/anxious - or if you have panic attacks then you probably will end up having more because the fear of having one, will bring one on iykwim.

This is where the positive thinking comes in - because obviously if repeated negative thoughts can create deep pathways in the brain, then so can positive thoughts - easy peasy you may think! BUT nope - it isn't !!!

Many of you may agree that it is the recurring thoughts that drag you down and a really simple thing of having an elastic band around your wrist and twanging it (sorry can't think of a more descriptive word :eek:) when the thought is running riot in your head works a treat! Why? well because the pain is quite intense and the shock breaks your train of thought! The downfall is that if you are really wrapped up in your thoughts then you forget to twang it!

Writing things down- you can always burn the piece of paper or shredd it afterwards
Cry and when you have finished cry some more
Stay away from negative people as much as possible
Share problems with a trusted person
Go to an isolated spot and scream and shout at all the injustice you feel - do this until you are exhausted
Go to the bottle bank and smash the bottles as hard as you can when throwing them in

I will remember some more later (gotta go and sort the littleuns out) but most of all

REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD THAT FEELS LIKE IT AND IT IS OK TO FEEL LIKE IT FROM TIME TO TIME ! there will always be someone somewhere who will understand BUT if you don't let people know, they can not help and support you :hug::hug:

god how wise is this girl !! great advice as ever debs, I'm very lucky in life that I have (as yet) not suffered in any way from anxiety/panic attacks ( I have bad times which I've had brill friends that have helped no end.. and I've done the same for them)

but one thing that did stick out for me in debs post was not letting the mood of others bring you down, this is not to say you can't be a good friend or geek, but in the past I have had friends (well ..my sister) who are always negative with life and have when trying to help, found myself being negative with life in general also, but then have felt a bad friend (sister!) when I can't see where they are coming from 100% by helping I've always 'tried' to lift their mood, its not always worked but as a kind of up lifting sole this is all I can do... I love and care for my sister but I'm ashamed I can't help her ....

god how wise is this girl !! great advice as ever debs, I'm very lucky in life that I have (as yet) not suffered in any way from anxiety/panic attacks ( I have bad times which I've had brill friends that have helped no end.. and I've done the same for them)

but one thing that did stick out for me in debs post was not letting the mood of others bring you down, this is not to say you can't be a good friend or geek, but in the past I have had friends (well ..my sister) who are always negative with life and have when trying to help, found myself being negative with life in general also, but then have felt a bad friend (sister!) when I can't see where they are coming from 100% by helping I've always 'tried' to lift their mood, its not always worked but as a kind of up lifting sole this is all I can do... I love and care for my sister but I'm ashamed I can't help her ....

some people just completely drain you of energy without meaning too. They can do this in many ways, not just by being negative! I have a friend I only hear from when she wants something... and it irritates me and annoys me.. everytime I speak with her she wears me out..making demands, expecting this and that.. she seems to have no idea she's so selfish. I ignore calls now - I have 3 small children which is a brilliant excuse!

Then there's the people who just phone up to tell you how bad their lives are.. and when you make suggestions on how they could help themselves.. they don't want to know... so you just go around in circles! People will help themselves when they're ready, they've just got to get to that stage.

I have to admit I will ignore calls from people like this. But we have one friend who turns up every now and again, only to ever tell us how bad their life is and we end up feeling so depressed and feeling sorry for ourselves... and needing to go to bed early when they've gone!

So it's alcohol based then??

Yes it has a small amount of alcohol, however, its nowhere near enough to make you drunk, or unable to drive or anything like that!

Yes it has a small amount of alcohol, however, its nowhere near enough to make you drunk, or unable to drive or anything like that!

:lol:

It does smell like Alcohol but it is safe for driving - I used it on my Driving courses to help my nerves (better than a Brandy)!

Clare what a lovely caring person you are :hug: you must never feel bad about not being able to lift your sister's mood. Unfortunately it can not be done so easily and it is only after 12/13 years my hubby has realised that it is not his fault that my mood can not be lifted by him.

I'm not sure about being wise :lol::lol: but what I do know is due to my life experiences, I have bags of empathy and when trying to understand someone and their feelings, you need empathy opposed to sympathy!

The thoughts which go around some ones head when anxious/depressed/panicky are irrational and their perception is not real - HOWEVER to that person the thoughts and perception is reality! and that is why friends and relatives find it difficult to understand or change their loved ones emotions/way of thinking.

I can assure you Clare, that your sister will appreciate everything you do and I am sure that when she is having a good period in her life, she will tell you :hug:

The other thing, I will say is that when you are lost in the downward spiral of uncontrollable emotions, you literally can not stop yourself from feeling that way, in fact as a coping mechanism a lot of the time you actually feel nothing, at all (and this in itself is very distressing for the person experiencing it and the people who care for them) It is only when you reach rock bottom that either you can help yourself or others can help.

So Clare, feel proud of yourself not ashamed and remember that you are a very special person :hug:

some people just completely drain you of energy without meaning too. They can do this in many ways, not just by being negative! I have a friend I only hear from when she wants something... and it irritates me and annoys me.. everytime I speak with her she wears me out..making demands, expecting this and that.. she seems to have no idea she's so selfish. I ignore calls now - I have 3 small children which is a brilliant excuse!

Then there's the people who just phone up to tell you how bad their lives are.. and when you make suggestions on how they could help themselves.. they don't want to know... so you just go around in circles! People will help themselves when they're ready, they've just got to get to that stage.

I have to admit I will ignore calls from people like this. But we have one friend who turns up every now and again, only to ever tell us how bad their life is and we end up feeling so depressed and feeling sorry for ourselves... and needing to go to bed early when they've gone!
Caroline this is exactly the sort of negativity I was meaning - you have explained it so well THANKYOU :hug:

My oldest son is exactly how Caroline has said and despite the fact that I love him to bits, I find him very difficult to cope with when I am having a wobbly moment and indeed sometimes it is even worse if I am having a "good period" and he comes and pees on my bonfire!

So geeky friends, remember, someone somewhere will have an understanding of how/what you are going through and where ever possible I will be there for you all :hug:

:lol: Well except for this weekend when we go to the Oasis (Centre Parks) :lol: :wink2:

Debs as you know I like yourself have Manic depression and I think that through are posts we have let the outside world know that we dont have 2 heads or wield knifes etc WE are normal people who suffer with a illness the difference between what Candace's thread is about and what we have is very different and I think this is where a lot of the general public struggle they think that we can control our moods and illness which in our case we cant. I have learnt fab ways to cope with my illness and ways to get through the tough times. Anxiety is a funny thing it can be brought on due to stress or it can be apart of a more serious illness the way it is treated is different in both these cases and I would say to anyone having Anxiety AND if you dont have a mental illness then take a step back and look at the amount you are doing and if you are over doing things then slow down and make more time for yourself, Also you have control over your thoughts so make them more positive all this will help. For people with severe depression with anxiety GET PROFESSIONAL HELP.

Latest posts

Back