Any computer geeks??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodipodi

Reaction score
Hiya can anyone help me with a stupid problem please:rolleyes:
When you recieve an email with an attatchment and you download it, what do you do if it wont open and says something like ''cant open file as its not supported or not decoded??!!'' this has happened a few times....any ideas? xx

Hi, what email software are you using? e.g. Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird etc? Or is it webmail, e.g. GMail, Hotmail, etc? And what sort of attachment is it? It should have a 3-letter extension after it, like .doc, .zip, .ppt etc...

Hi Jodie, it could mean that the person sending you the attachment is using a newer system. Are you using Windows XP or Vista? This used to happen to me when I was sending thing from my laptop to work.

Unfortunatly, I don't know how to fix it.

HTH

Erm windows vista I think, and its AOL. The attatchment say doc?? Tried to open in adobe but not having it x

What version of "Office" do you have?
If
A) your version is older than the doc sent to you, it can't read it.
B) if you don't have a complete "Office" (example, you have Home or Student which are not complete, like "professional" is) you may be missing the appropriate software program to open the document.

Ask your friend to send it in an older Version (she/he can select an older version when 'saving as' and determining which 'file type' and from there, choose an older version) and/or what specific program the doc is saved in, and find out if you even have the program.

hth's

If it's a .doc (Microsoft Word) then you can also use OpenOffice to open it. OpenOffice is a free download from OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite and you aren't violating any Microsoft licences either (which you might be if you used a dodgy copy of MS Word lol...)

Thanks guys, ruth im doing it now hun xxx

Latest posts

Back