Any Gel polish you can't layer??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterfly :)

Reaction score
Does anyone know what Gel polishes you can and cant use to do layering, thought it was only shellac you could do it with, haven't ventured into anything more than Rockstar and rhynestones/art bits with my Gel polish's.
If anyone has any photo's of what they have done i'd love to have a wee peek please?? thanx :D

I think you could layer with any gel polish. In fact, you could layer with any nail polish.

No one will have the colours you have, so why not experiment one day on some spare tips?

well the only way i will know i guess is if i give it a go with mine. shall see how i get on. :biggrin:
If anyone has tried it out i'd love to know how it turned out for you??
would i leave the first colour tacky and apply the next colour to this layer like i normally would with using one colour?? x

Hunni, you can't layer successfuuly with every colour.

You want to use the more heavily pimented colours on the base layer and semi-sheer colours over them for the best meld. You of course can use semi-sheer on top of other different semi-sheers for different effects. But you cant put an opaque over an opaque and expect to get a good meld.

CND are very clever and have specific colours that are designed to be layered, like Moonlight and Roses and Iced Coral to name but a few.

When these colours are applied over a darker colour as Geeg has explained, I'm impressed every time and my clients are always amazed, because the effect is stunning and you can get so many colours by layering, the colour combos are endless really.

I unfortunately do not use shellac, but if i try a lighter colour over a darker one this would have a better result i take it?? perhaps when i have earned enough pennies i shall get on the shellac bandwagon too, have been very impressed with the layering other tech's have done.. I so wish I could have everything but like everyone else you have to work very hard to get a little of what you desire. x

I unfortunately do not use shellac, but if i try a lighter colour over a darker one this would have a better result i take it?? perhaps when i have earned enough pennies i shall get on the shellac bandwagon too, have been very impressed with the layering other tech's have done.. I so wish I could have everything but like everyone else you have to work very hard to get a little of what you desire. x

I was giving you general help not help specific to Shellac :hug: ..

The same principles apply with all except for one thing (so try it out); Most gels are more semi-opaque than Shellac as Shelladc is not a gel .. even the solid cream colours .. so the cream gels may layer over each other where the Shellac cream opaques will definitiely not. You will have to trial that one yourself. One day you will get everything you want if you want it badly enough. x

I was giving you general help not help specific to Shellac :hug: ..

The same principles apply with all except for one thing (so try it out); Most gels are more semi-opaque than Shellac as Shelladc is not a gel .. even the solid cream colours .. so the cream gels may layer over each other where the Shellac cream opaques will definitiely not. You will have to trial that one yourself. One day you will get everything you want if you want it badly enough. x

thank you for your advice, I'm going to have a try on my own nails this evening. might even hunt down my colour wheel which is yet to be painted...had too much fun getting stuck into the basics&rockstar took over lol. I shall also take note to read replies carefully, read over what you had said and it was referring to all gel polish, i do also realise shellac is not exactly the same...it's one of its own kind lol. x

Latest posts

Back