Any laws regarding dogs in Salons?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ummmmm another annoying thing in a salon/hairdresser' or dentist etc the stench of stale smoke leaning over you (yuk) thank god smoking is banned from public places just need to teach peeps to brush there teeth or take a mint.

i agrre with you Chazz about most kids are afrid of dogs because they have been frightened by parents or relatives etc or maybe even a bad experience, i always tell my children not to just go up to any dog and stroke it and always just walk past them calmly not screaming, shouting and waving there arms.

I have a home salon ,
I have dogs ,
my dogs know there boundary's they wont come into the room unless asked , my husky can open doors in both directions so it is not the closed door that stops him.

it is training ,

I do let him come in and say hello to the clients that ask for them,
and you would be surprised how many do ask !

He is regally groomed by me , he is up to date with vaccines including rabbis , and regally wormed and treated for ticks or fleas ,

people do not have allergy's to dog or cat hair.
,it is proteans that are found in ether the danda or the siliver of the pet , the sliver will coat the hair but if an animal is groomed regally, is healthy and fed the correct diet for its breed , and your environment is kept clean (ie salon) so these things do not build up .

the other reason that i actively let him play a part in my work is that
I am training with him and the American red cross as an emotional support dog!
he WILL be going in to HOSPITALS to visit the wounded warriors (beare in mind here we have the hospital the wounded get brought to first from Iraq or Afghanistan to be "stabilized " before they are returned to the US ,
this means quite a few burns and amputees , :sad: they are also along way from home with outfamily or friends .

it is proven time and time again that animals can help lower your blood presser and stress , they are also amazing for helping to build confidence back up , and even aid the healing process , the comfort it can bring some one can be far more than another human can .

Undisputed Mizzy_dizzy. Working dogs do excellent jobs in many ways but that wasn't the question or the reason behind why the question was asked. I do agree that an animal should know it's boundaries but in my two examples it wasn't the fault of the dogs. The first dog did a "stress" wee ( I'm not a dog owner so not sure if I have that right) through the excitement of being somewhere new etc. The second dog was lifted on and off by the owner!
Good luck the Red Cross training, I doff my cap in respect xx

I don't want to get into a heated debate about this but I feel the need to state a few things.

People can be allergic to dander, saliva or urine from pets.
The protein in these can be transferred to hard surfaces and will take years (yes really) to dissipate.

If you have clients with compromised immune systems, asthma, eczema etc then they will be far more likely to develop a pet allergy, and exposure to the allergens will exacerbate it.

We live in a litigious society where people are happy to sue at the drop of a hat. Why open yourself up to potential issues when they are easily avoided.

I love my little cat so much but she doesn't go near the salon.

We work in an image industry. You need to look at the image it portrays when there is a pet in the salon. Of course there will be people who love to see it, but there will also be people who don't and they're the ones who will tell all their friend how awful it was. "Imagine! I went to get a Brazilian and there was a DOG in the salon, how grubby!"

Lynne,
Agreed! Whilst I would never have questioned the cleanliness of the salon in my second example, I did say that mistakes can happen. If I went to a salon where the nail tech ate a McDonalds burger at her desk during my enhancements (as one client experienced) I would remember that before I ever recalled the quality of the enhancements offered etc.
I now can't bring myself to return to my facial salon as all I can think about is the fact that she forgot to wash her hands! x

People can be allergic to dander, saliva or urine from pets.
The protein in these can be transferred to hard surfaces and will take years (yes really) to dissipate.

"

oi cheeky Lynne :D i said that lol
I have a home salon ,
people do not have allergy's to dog or cat hair.
,it is proteans that are found in ether the danda or the siliver of the pet , the sliver will coat the hair but if an animal is groomed regally, is healthy and fed the correct diet for its breed , and your environment is kept clean (ie salon) so these things do not build up .

has to be noted aswell that for people who are that sensitive or have a compromised immune system it would be best not to have any flowers (pollen) in your salon , any trees out side , no open windows etc ........

sadly we dont live in bubbles and are surrounded by most of these microscopic things most of the time if we wear not our immune systems would not have a clue how to deal with anything .

I am an animal lover and have 3 cats of my own but a salon is not a place for pets.
My dad had an allergy to fur and feathers. He was ok with cats unless one scratched him. He only had to be in the same room as a dog for about 10 minutes and he could hardly breathe and that's not even touching the dog.

I absolutely adore animals but I am very much allergic to cats, a salon I used to get my hair cut in recently bought a kitten, Ive had to stop going there. It doesnt matter that the cats not always in there or how meticulous the cleaning is, it still affects me unfortunately. This same salon had a dog, in my personal opinion I dont think its the most professional thing but it didnt bother me too much as I like dogs and I was till getting a good haircut, this was until the dog used to come and jump on me when I was having my hair washed and sniff around my heels if I had food in my bag.

I guess it varies from person to person as to what they find acceptable. Given the choice Id rather not be in a salon with a dog but Im not hugely bothered if there is one there provided its not jumping all over me, I guess thats down to the salon owner to stop that though.........

I don't think a salon environment is the right place for a dog, however small, clean or good tempered.

I think you've got to consider every possible angle, you're there to give a service to ALL clients - if one has an allergy, there's a client lost. If one is terrified of dogs, there's another client gone. There are plenty more angles to look at I'm sure.

If you're not concerned about losing "the odd client" over it then I think that's a problem in itself, I keep every single client happy and if I lost one over something as simple to fix as having a dog in the salon I'd be devastated.

Seen a few posts saying some people can't leave their dogs at home - IMHO if you cannot devote enough time at home to the animal then it should be in a home that can, rather than being taken to a place of work which I think is unfair on the poor dog.

I am an animal lover and have 2 dogs myself (who I'd never dream of taking to work) and a snake who definitely wouldn't fit in at the salon lol! So don't shoot me down, I just believe that it isn't the right environment for animals, same as it isn't the right environment for kids, but that's a whole other thread!!

Ooh, a salon snake. I like it x

Ooh, a salon snake. I like it x

In all honesty most of my clients would probably welcome the snake with open arms, he wouldn't slobber all over the place and leave fluff here there and everywhere teehee :)

In all honesty most of my clients would probably welcome the snake with open arms, he wouldn't slobber all over the place and leave fluff here there and everywhere teehee :)

Snakes and other tropical pets are far more likely to pass salmonella poisoning to humans though .

I wouldn't feel comfortable entering a salon that had a dog. I wouldn't care if the dog was clean, dirty, big, small, rowdy or well-behaved! It's a dog and like it or not, not everyone in the world loves dogs being around them, especially as they are being pampered.

I feel you should aim to please all of your clients and doubt every single potential client would be happy with this situation

Of course like everyone else, this is just my opinion x

Dogs shouldn't be allowed in salons. I love dogs but there's a time and a place for everything

I watched a programme on a lady who had an actual phobia of dogs (and alot of people do) and alot of people are scared. People are saying if you lose a client because my dog is in the salon then so be it. I think that's shameful behaviour that you'd be happy to lose business with something you could easily avoid.

And I agree with the people saying what if the dog bit ect! What if it did - dogs can just turn on people sometimes no matter how much you think they won't then theres a big pay out!

Before anyone bites my head off as I say I love dogs and all animals you just have to think of even the minority of clients.

I've been watching this thread unfold and peoples opinions.

I think it's down to the individual salon owner I would not be put off going to a home salon or salon if there was a dog.

1.because I love dogs bigger the better lol.
2.because some humans can be more disgusting than dogs.just because a therapist has a clean salon and looks tidy does not mean that they washed there hands after they had a poo 10 mins before your treatment or after they had a wee,picked there nose whilst they are doing a facial on you or eyelash tint.scratched there bum hole whilst your back is turned then waxed you tash lmao ............yes I have seen all of these.
3.if you don't like animals in a salon there are plenty more for you to go to for your treatments.

I look at this this way to that a man or woman comes into your salon goes to the toilet dosnt wash there hands, they then touch the door handle to come out of the toilet touch your work station walk over to your till area touches your desk, then takes there cash out of there pocket and gives it to you you take it put it in your till they then open your salon door and leave, you then touch your face with your hand go and eat a sandwich, you then have poo and wee particles all over your salon and you have poo or wee on your face and you have eaten there poo and wee with your nicely made cheese sandwich.lmao.

I'll choose animals over humans any day :D xxx

I adore animals, particularly cats and dogs but in my opinion, a salon is not the place for them. I don't believe there is a law stating this though. I just don't find it professional.

As mentioned a client may be allergic, afraid (not their fault may i add), think that the salon is unclean, be concerned about your hygiene touching your pets and then them, the pet can moult, dribble or toilet in the salon (even if it hasn't happened before), they can rub around clients looking for attention, they lick themselves and you, dogs can bark...

I'm not sure if it is the healthiest environment for the pet either if they have to stay in their bed, are too warm, subject to chemical smells and if you get really busy you still have to make sure and take them out.

I know some clients adore our pets but i'd hate to lose even one client because my pet was in my salon. My fur babies stay at home and have someone there almost all of the time. There are lots of threads asking how to keep clients and get new clients, so i think you would have to question if this could possibly be putting clients off.

Crystal colleen, thank goodness for hand sanitiser eh?

Don't get me wrong, i really do love animals and if the salon looked clean, might not be put off by a pet, but one experience like Fake It mentioned would be sure to stop me from returning xx

Snakes and other tropical pets are far more likely to pass salmonella poisoning to humans though .

Oh yes mizzy didn't mean that I'd actually take him in lol x

Oh yes mizzy didn't mean that I'd actually take him in lol x

I know lol
Though the joys of working from home my clients have all seen my water dragon lol

Yes clients can be unhygienic.
However, dogs lick their balls and sometimes lick their own urine and then because they love you, they lick your face! Or lick your clients! Ewwwwwwwwww

I love that my competitor has dogs, she actually has the house as a kennel for breeding, let's the dogs into treatment room where they lick clients hands while they are being massaged. I'm getting quite a few of her clients. I went to her twice as a swap and couldn't Stanton the dogs being in the room, she didn't wash her hands, mind you she also will answer the ph during a massage and at one time apparently had 2 massages going at same time in different rooms so dogs are not her only issue. I don't dislike animals but dont want them around me while having treatments. I wouldn't like a dog or cat in my drs office why is it acceptable in a salon. We want to be seen as professionals we need to act proffesionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back