ANY proof that enhancements harbour bacteria??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAQUEL

Reaction score
The health trustsin my area have decided that all hospital staff can no longer wear nail enhancements, overlays or polish for infection control. Fair enough doc s and nurses as id hate to find abroken nail tip in ya burst apendix/ c section/vasectomy etc but im talking receptionists, admin staff etc who have zero patient contact. if thats the case, shouldnt they stopping all visitors with acetone and a soak dish at the door too??
a client has ask me to help research the " facts" anyone in the know whether or not our works of art are germ carriers???? i know what my thoughts are..

What was explained to me from someone who has banned the same from her workplace (health care something or other) is that should any of these coverings be loose/lifted/cracked then germs can get into those places and not be easily removed by hand washing....the germs could be trapped in the cracks/breaks/lifting.

she said it was more about that than the worry of a nail actually falling off.

If nails are natural, short and filed smooth there are less places for germs to get caught in....????

Hi I asked my niece this the other day I do her sculpts and she is a dental nurse, I asked her if her boss was fine for her to have enhancements on and she said it was fine as she wears gloves when working and uses the alcohol wash to clean, she comes every week so I can check on them, she would cry if she had to have them removed :)

After reading an article that Doug Schoon had in his book about this same topic, it isn't the enhancement that is the problem. It is the lack of proper hand washing. There isn't any research that I'm aware of to indicate that enhancements are anymore apt to harbor bacteria than natural nails do. Plus I don't understand 1) if they wear gloves or follow proper hand washing procedures what is the problem, 2) if they aren't in contact with patients then what is the issue?

The hospitals/medical field has taken the easy way out by blaming enhancements instead of enforcing proper hand washing techniques. And now....no polish......sheesh what is going to be next??

After reading an article that Doug Schoon had in his book about this same topic, it isn't the enhancement that is the problem. It is the lack of proper hand washing. There isn't any research that I'm aware of to indicate that enhancements are anymore apt to harbor bacteria than natural nails do. Plus I don't understand 1) if they wear gloves or follow proper hand washing procedures what is the problem, 2) if they aren't in contact with patients then what is the issue?

The hospitals/medical field has taken the easy way out by blaming enhancements instead of enforcing proper hand washing techniques. And now....no polish......sheesh what is going to be next??

Germs certainly cannot grow in the enhancement material.

I agree with uniq12u (who I'm glad to see has a copy of Doug's book now :hug:). I do think long enhancements are more likely to harbor germs under the free edge and that nails (natural or enhanced) should be worn short and sweet if working in jobs where the hands come into direct contact with the public ... besides long nails would poke holes in those gloves!! :lol:

just a thought from an unqualified new girl :)

if the enhancements began to lift, they would have an area for germs to hide in, that hand washing could miss couldnt they?

Could this be a factor in the health care industry saying no enhancements?

Sorry, this is more a question than an answer!

just a thought from an unqualified new girl :)

if the enhancements began to lift, they would have an area for germs to hide in, that hand washing could miss couldn't they?

Could this be a factor in the health care industry saying no enhancements?

Sorry, this is more a question than an answer!

thats what i was saying above....its because of lifting, chips and cracks in the overlays that these germs can get stuck in that is causing concern for those in the medical profession.

thats what i was saying above....its because of lifting, chips and cracks in the overlays that these germs can get stuck in that is causing concern for those in the medical profession.

sorry. i must have missed your post when i reading it through!! x

Gigi, I've had a copy of Doug's book for quite some time. That is why I've asked you in the past for page numbers when you have made reference to information from Doug so I can look it up.

Logic would dictate what you are saying could harbor germs/bacteria. But it isn't just enhancements that do, which I believe was the point the Doug was making in his article about this topic. It seems that the medical community has only focused on the enhancements and not the same issue with natural nails.

I have a set of enhancements on at the moment and I did them two nights ago.... it takes me ages and haven't got my thumb done yet.

Well my nail on my thumb looks dirty as the nail is quite short and I find the dirt gets under a short natural nail much easier than the enhanced ones (which are spotless and will be spotless weeks later too)

I'm sure you'll get some people with natural nails that are unhygienic and I'm sure there'll be plenty of germs under those.

I think it's very unfair to stop anyone in any profession from having enhanced nails on:mad:

Latest posts

Back