Anybody had CBT?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellybeauty

Reaction score
Hi geeks
Just wondering if anybody has tried cognitive behavioural therapy??
Ive recently been diagnosed with ocd and been seeing a cbt therapist.
Has anybody tried it and has it helped??
Thanks in advance
Kelly
X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have had it, yes and it did help. Have you been told what to expect? How long you can have it for?

Hi geeks
Just wondering if anybody has tried cognitive behavioural therapy??
Ive recently been diagnosed with ocd and been seeing a cbt therapist.
Has anybody tried it and has it helped??
Thanks in advance
Kelly
X

Hello, yes I had this following PND. I'm not sure how much it helped, I think it helped more being in a room with other people in the same situation and talking about it x

💕💅 Keep calm and make 'em Gelish 💅💕

Hello!
I had it for a year for anxiety issues and found it helped quite a bit when I practiced certain areas of it. I personally found some things a bit airy fairy also, but the practical parts I really found of use. Hope all goes well for you xxxx

I've been having cbt for anxiety and a phobia issue I have. It's taken a long time but I'm starting to feel like it's making a bit of a difference now. I started in March so it's been slow progress but I wasn't expecting to get better overnight.

Yes I have and no it didn't. I had it for a phobia and it didn't get any better, the woman just annoyed me. XD

Thanks for your replies.
I have a one to one session once a week.
Ive had 4 sessions so far and its ongoing.
She has said the fear wont ever go away but I should be able to control the anexity.
It all started when I contracted mrsa in hospital after having a c section in my wound and I was extremely poorly.
I just wish someone had a magic wand to make my brain stop thinking such thoughts as I cant see how cbt can help at the moment.

Is there any way to do cbt without seeing a therapist? Like if you had the info like books etc could you do it yourself?

I am seeing a counsellor for anxiety and low self esteem, she has done a bit of CBT with me but also Mindfullness which is the 'new CBT'. I have just read a book which I downloaded from amazon in kindle version for about £3 it's called Mindfullness Pure and Simple by Oli Doyle and it's fantastic. I relate to so much of what he writes about and it's about changing your thought pattern to focus back in the present moment (I live a lot in the past or worrying about the future). It has techniques that I've been practising daily as I know things won't change over night but when I find myself in a situation I do one if the techniques and it's really helping. I also downloaded a free app called Mindfullness Daily which it also useful

Look at Rob Kelly - "thrive" book and programme. My friend found it really helpful - helps change unhelpful patterns of behaviour and thoughts.

Yes I had it for my ME and for depression I would say it helped, made me see things from a different view.
At one point I would not leave the house incase I was ill so we done a lot on that.
And I find it hard to relax if my house was not clean and perfect!
Worth a go. Good luck xx

I have for depression and anxiety amongst other things.... its really important you get the right therapist. My first one was lovely... but my second one just really got me, she's really inspired me to feel better about myself. In face she's the reason I'be found the confidence to start my own business and stop taking people's crap... I think CBT works if you let it.

I've had it for my anxiety and depression. I didn't buy in to it therefore it didn't work for me. I know what causes my anxiety, I know where the depression came from so I found talking about it and where it came from depressed me more.
My best friend is a psychologist and she agreed that I wasn't in a good mindset to do it and it would be pointless for me. Like the last poster (sorry on phone and can't remember name) said, if you let it then I believe it can work x

Sent from the catphone

I've had it; thought it was useless.

If it's for a phobia why not try hypnotherapy, that might help.

Great thread!
Im out to send my forms off so I can start, had no idea what it was about.

I have suffered major depression in my life, and I am at the stage that I can manage it myself. I say this because I don't believe that depression can be cured totally, only managed.
I started to look online for help and found a great online CBT course on the BBC website. I did the exercises and this helped me understand what CBT is all about. It is a slow process.
I was fortunate that I lived in a country where help was more than available. I cannot imagine that 6 sessions can tackle such a huge problem. It only scratches the surface. I also agree that you need to "gel" with the therapist to achieve the best results.

I have found this page, and have looked at the step 1, and I think this is quite a good explanation of what happens in CBT. I don't have time today, but I will have a read of the site to see if there is anything written there that I think might help you to understand it better.

CBT self-help programmes

My partner was also diagnosed with depression last year and couldn't work for a while. He had a great therapist that spoke of this Mindfulness that was mentioned before (the new term for CBT?) and this did help him enormously. BUT, he was only entitled to 6 sessions, and I don't believe that was enough. We are still working through his issues, and I think that if I hadn't had similar experiences, we would no longer be together. It's hard being in a depression but it is also very hard to support someone suffering too.
I do hope that you get something from your therapy. But if not, I would suggest that this is not the right time for it and try again at a later date.
Best wishes

O had CBT last year for depression. It helped me a lot but its nit some kind of magic as others have Saud you have yo be open to it and work hard at it

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Ive done a lot of research and have brought a book on cbt so im going to keep an open mind. Thank you for all your replies. Will keep you updated. Next session is on Thursday x

I have suffered major depression in my life, and I am at the stage that I can manage it myself. I say this because I don't believe that depression can be cured totally, only managed.
I started to look online for help and found a great online CBT course on the BBC website. I did the exercises and this helped me understand what CBT is all about. It is a slow process.
I was fortunate that I lived in a country where help was more than available. I cannot imagine that 6 sessions can tackle such a huge problem. It only scratches the surface. I also agree that you need to "gel" with the therapist to achieve the best results.

I have found this page, and have looked at the step 1, and I think this is quite a good explanation of what happens in CBT. I don't have time today, but I will have a read of the site to see if there is anything written there that I think might help you to understand it better.

CBT self-help programmes

My partner was also diagnosed with depression last year and couldn't work for a while. He had a great therapist that spoke of this Mindfulness that was mentioned before (the new term for CBT?) and this did help him enormously. BUT, he was only entitled to 6 sessions, and I don't believe that was enough. We are still working through his issues, and I think that if I hadn't had similar experiences, we would no longer be together. It's hard being in a depression but it is also very hard to support someone suffering too.
I do hope that you get something from your therapy. But if not, I would suggest that this is not the right time for it and try again at a later date.
Best wishes

Thank you for your reply, will sit down later with a cuppa and have a good look through x

Latest posts

Back