Anybody used Western Union before?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBeezy

Reaction score
Just wondering if it's safe to use to send money abroad...

I do hair extensions and I'm looking at importing hair from an international supplier but they want me to use western union and I just wondered how safe it was as I've never used it before?

Thanks

Just wondering if it's safe to use to send money abroad...

I do hair extensions and I'm looking at importing hair from an international supplier but they want me to use western union and I just wondered how safe it was as I've never used it before?

Thanks

My partner works in Foreign Exchange and actually processes Western Union transactions for people on a daily basis.

In my opinion I wouldn't bank on it. It's safe as if the person you send it to has to provide ID to collect your money but that's about it. You got 0 chance of getting it back if don't get your order. It's the same as handing cash over in person effectively.

Thank you, appreciate your reply. Because I've never used it I've been hesitant to use it. But they only use this or bank account that's all so I'm unsure on what to do. I've mentioned to use a credit card as your safe with those aren't you?

Thank you, appreciate your reply. Because I've never used it I've been hesitant to use it. But they only use this or bank account that's all so I'm unsure on what to do. I've mentioned to use a credit card as your safe with those aren't you?

Yeah a credit card you're protected. Not sure to the levels but normally they're quite good. If you have a business credit card that would be best as it would be specific for business purposes. You might want to check up on the protection you have with overseas though.

To be honest Western Union or bank transfer sets off alarm bells to me - both impossible to get your money back and almost untraceable.

Thank you for your help, just with them already sending me hair for the sample order they seem ok. But it's just just trusting them with my money when I don't actually know them

I used to live in Asia and used Western union a fair few times and never had any problems with western union itself.

Using it for business though seems a bit dodgy, although I've only ever used it within family.

You also have to pay a fee when using them but I can't remember how much it was and it may differ for countries.
X

Hi don't use western union use a safer solution like PayPal as least you are covered for 45 days if the products don't arrive. They will just refund you no bother. Western Union is like giving somebody cash you won't get it back.

Yeah I would normally only ever use PayPal but for some reason this supplier let me use PayPal for sample order and now he wants me to use this but I don't trust it xx

Yeah I would normally only ever use PayPal but for some reason this supplier let me use PayPal for sample order and now he wants me to use this but I don't trust it xx

Sounds like classic scam to me. Take paypal, send the order, take the main order for big money through something they can't get back and don't send anything.

It's businesses like this that give international businesses a bad name.

Yeah I completely agree! Thanks for the advise :)

Western Union type transfers say scan to me, only because I answered an ad in the paper when wanting to a husky pup free to good Home due to the owners death and a big sob story. Luckily I had a weird feeling in my gut and googled the email address the advertiser used. It was a scam, they called me asking for £250 via western union to get the dog out of customs in Cameroon! (the ad previously said the dog was local) so yeah I avoid any transactions via Western Union now unless it's for like sending money to a family member abroad. I got lucky but plenty of people are scammed this way. As others have said, avoid!

Money gram can also be used the same way, to scam people, so avoid that too unless you have a very trusted relationship with the supplier/recipient. These things are awesome if you have a friend or relative on holiday with cash flow problems.

It's a scam. Be very wary of using Western Union in a Business Transaction as you have no recall if the goods turn out to be not as described/fake/or never exist.

Western Union is handy way to send money abroad. My brother went away once and forgot his Credit Card and I was able to send him on money. (Actually reminds me he never paid me back!)

Don't do it it's a scam

Thanks I decide against idea xx PayPal only

Latest posts

Back