Anyone been prescribed Naproxen

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfect10kb

Reaction score
Hi ,

I have been suffering with a back problem for a while and the consultant had put it down to inflammed joints and prescribed me Naproxen . I have been taking them for five days now and they are making me feel awful- Nauseous, bloated etc etc .

I don't know if its worth perservering with them of not as they making me feel so sick - and yes i am taking with food which is what yoy should do

Anyone else had experience of Naproxen please

Last edited:
My sister has just been prescribed those. The doctor also gave her some other tablets to take with them to help settle her stomach. He said because she was over 40 then it was best she take the stomach protection tablets too. I can't remember the name of them though. Even if you're not over 40 you could ask the doctor. She doesn't suffer with stomach problems so it must be quite a common side-effect. I'd ring the doctor and ask.
She is also taking them for lumbago.

Thank you . Yes I have to take an 'Omoprazole' one hour before taking the Naproxen. This lines the stomach in preparation but still feel like sh--e :sad:

Mine is upper back pain not lumber and so far they have not made any difference at all

Last edited:
You are supposed to stop taking them if they start making you feel sick.
I'm pretty sure the tablets she had weren't omeprazole as I have been taking them for the last couple of years for indigestion and I'd have regonised them.
I'd definitely call the doctor and tell them your symptoms and see if they can change them to something else.

Thank you Angelina . Are you thinking aboout Domperidone as they have given me that as well. That is supposed to stop you feeling sick but it hasn't worked . Thank you for trying to help

Karen x

I think it was misoprostol or something like that!
Naproxen is known to give the type of side-effects you have so it could be the naproxen but omeprazole can cause nausea as well so it could be either. You're best speaking to the doctor.
My sister has been getting sport massages which have helped enormously. The doctor said she was fine to get massage so if you ask your doctor and he says it's ok then maybe you could try a few massages.

Thank you . I have been reffered for Physio as well but goodness knows how long before I will get an appointment

Getting me down a bit as it makes my job quite difficult . I have had to take Gel Polish for toes off the menu for the time being as just makes my back too bad :-(

My therapist does pedicures on the couch. Get a stool at the end of the couch at the right height and it's a lot less strain on your back.

I was given Naproxen for RSI and my doc said only to take them as and when I needed them. They do irritate your gut but for me, nothing works :-(

I've been taking it for 8 years for my cramps and never noticed any stomach issues. Although when you're in so much pain that you think you might actually be pregnant and didnt know, the last thing on your mind is bloating! Even talking about them hurts lol

I've been taking them for my foot and had no side effects , could be worth going back to your GP maybe you have a slight intolerance to them or maybe the dose is to strong for you.

Thank you for all your replies . Much appreciated . Decided yesterday to stop taking them as i was feeling sooooooooooo rough . Feel so much better today so must have been the tablets

have a customer who is a pharmacist and she said she was very surprised they put me on such a high dose straight away:-(

Have just taken normal ibuprofen today and that will have to do untill I get back to docs .

Thank you all again

Karen x

the whole group of Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatories (NSAIDs) can make you feel nauseous, but voltarol and naproxen seem to be the worst culprits. I'm guessing you tried taking them with milk as well as food? There's nothing worse than the constant sicky feeling and that horrid taste of spoons your mouth gets. (Hope that's not only me!)

My OH took naproxen for a month for ulnar tendonitis and developed severe photosensitivity. Just stepping outside the front door made him come up in a rash and if he dared to get in the sun he burnt almost immediately. These drugs have a whole bunch of side effects and affect everyone in different ways. Keep on the ibuprofen for a few days, ALWAYS take them with food or milk, and if you start getting indigestion type symptoms, stop them pronto. How about trying reiki, it worked for me when I fractured my pelvis...

Do try gel polish on toes on a couch - that's how I do my bio toes, so much easier and it's comfy for the client too.

Glad you're feeling better x

Thanks Unas

The tablets I was given were naprosyn . They are not sugar coated which according to my lady would have been much kinder to me ( or my tum to be precise ). Went for a swim yesterday and will go again tomorrow to see if that helps- well if it dos'nt I certainly feel good when I have finished :)

I can take prescription co codamol with no problem but these were just EVIL

Booked in for physio as well so hoepfully that will help

xx

Latest posts

Back