Anyone else had this letter re: card terminals?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iconic

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I have my card machine through card cutters, however they use AIB to provide the terminals.
I have received a letter today about PCI DSS programme. (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard Programme).
It is about protecting our customers personal data when they use their credit/debit card to prevent card fraud.
It says that "All merchants are obliged to be compliant with PCI DSS, which is mandated by ViSA and MasterCard and helps protect your business against the costs and negative publicity associated with a data breach"
And then goes on to say "Failure to comply may lead to financial penalties from the card schemes, and/or withdrawal of your card acceptance facility.

They have provided me with log on details to the portal programme, but there is a fee? £3.90 a month?

So, it's saying I have to be a part of this, but I also have to pay?

Just wondered if anyone else has received such a letter and what you have done about it?
What are people's thoughts on this?

Kind of baffles me!

Any help appreciated,
Many thanks :)

Yes you have to be pci compliant. We use security metrics and it costs 11.99 a year. You pay the fee and fill in a questionaire online to ensure you comply with everything.

We have to do it twice - once for our shop credit card machine and also separately for our internet merchant account.

Whether what you have received is genuine I do not know, but you do need to do something to ensure you are compliant.

Probably best to speak to you card processor.

Yes you do need to be compliant to continue using your card machine, you can do it independantly and not pay but for peace of mind I used the service offered by Streamline who supply my machine. It was about £40 and obviously I can claim it as business expenses.

It's fairly straight forward

Last edited:
Ah right! Thank you for your replies :) I have recently opened up my first salon so am new to all of this and don't want to be a target to scams just because I am a new business! I shall contact my card terminal provider :)

Yes you have to be pci compliant. We use security metrics and it costs 11.99 a year. You pay the fee and fill in a questionaire online to ensure you comply with everything.

We have to do it twice - once for our shop credit card machine and also separately for our internet merchant account.

Whether what you have received is genuine I do not know, but you do need to do something to ensure you are compliant.

Probably best to speak to you card processor.

I too had to become compliant, and pay 11.99 a year. But the £3.90 a month you mention is only what you pay if you DON'T become compliant.
I do it myself online sometimes I have to redo it it's not that easy to fill in ! But you can do it yourself.

I have just had to do mine, except I couldn't do it online, I always find it a bit confusing, so call and do it over the phone.
I wasn't aware of any charges though ??!!

Latest posts

Back