Card terminal charges

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daydreams01

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about charges from my card company. I am with worldpay, think it was previously card save but has been taken over. I get my invoices monthly and the amount varies depending on amount of transactions but normally around £20 give or take a few pounds. Yesterday got a shock as new bill arrived for over £100. Out of that only £22.34 is card fees, the rest is a PCI annual management fee of £30 plus vat and a compliance scan fee of £35 plus VAT.
Does everyone else with card machines pay this? I don't mind the compliance fee so much but don't really understand the scan. I get emails every month saying they are doing a compliance scan and I always pass but not sure what is actually being scanned as for the last month I haven't even had my computer as its being repaired so have been borrowing my sons laptop so don't know what it is they actually scan as my card machine is not worked up to the computer.
I'm really confused by it all and need to ring them in the week but just wondered if this is all normal for everyone as if not will change my card provider.

I'm with the same company for over 2 years now and i've never paid them fees. I know when you sign up you do have to do PCI compliance test so you don't get charged something or another.

Ring them and have it out with them. They tend to be pretty good.

I'm with the same company for over 2 years now and i've never paid them fees. I know when you sign up you do have to do PCI compliance test so you don't get charged something or another.

Thanks for that, I'm wondering if when I did the on line compliance registration if I did it wrong as the more I think about it it seems more relevant to those that retail through their website so are taking card details on line etc. as I don't do that it doesn't really seem applicable to me but I didn't find them that helpful when I phoned before. In a leaflet from world pay it says all businesses taking cards must comply with PCI dSS and that if you are not compliant they will charge an additional £12 a month.

Also a company keep ringing me on behalf of them saying world pay have asked them to act on their behalf and I owe £20 from a refund transaction over a year ago. I told them that all the money gets paid automatically on direct debit, I have proof on my bank statements of never missing a monthly payment and have never received an invoice for an additional amount . I'm not willing to pay something over the phone without an invoice as I don't know they are genuine . This is all the stuff I hate about running a business, it really stresses me out as I'm just learning it as I go along and this seems to be the only place where I can ask anybody for advice! I need a mentor to help me with all this stuff!

Thanks for that, I'm wondering if when I did the on line compliance registration if I did it wrong as the more I think about it it seems more relevant to those that retail through their website so are taking card details on line etc. as I don't do that it doesn't really seem applicable to me but I didn't find them that helpful when I phoned before. In a leaflet from world pay it says all businesses taking cards must comply with PCI dSS and that if you are not compliant they will charge an additional £12 a month.

Also a company keep ringing me on behalf of them saying world pay have asked them to act on their behalf and I owe £20 from a refund transaction over a year ago. I told them that all the money gets paid automatically on direct debit, I have proof on my bank statements of never missing a monthly payment and have never received an invoice for an additional amount . I'm not willing to pay something over the phone without an invoice as I don't know they are genuine . This is all the stuff I hate about running a business, it really stresses me out as I'm just learning it as I go along and this seems to be the only place where I can ask anybody for advice! I need a mentor to help me with all this stuff!

I must admit I don't have a physical terminal. Sounds a bit odd. I agree it's added stress with all these dodgy phone calls. We nearly got caught with a energy 'suppliers' phone call about 4 years ago at our old premises. They wouldn't leave us alone. several calls a day!

It's because the compliance security questionnaire was meant to be completed by the 10th of January, I've just realised i haven't done mine :( I'll be expecting the same charges now :( it has to be done every year

A little side question to u guys, world pay took over recently and they advise me their going to take monthly rental fees (£15 per month instead of £54 a quarter) starting from January, did they say this to you too? I'm wondering because they took £54 in December so that would cover me till march? How did they explain if to you and when will yours go monthly instead of quarterly?

It's because the compliance security questionnaire was meant to be completed by the 10th of January, I've just realised i haven't done mine :( I'll be expecting the same charges now :( it has to be done every year

A little side question to u guys, world pay took over recently and they advise me their going to take monthly rental fees (£15 per month instead of £54 a quarter) starting from January, did they say this to you too? I'm wondering because they took £54 in December so that would cover me till march? How did they explain if to you and when will yours go monthly instead of quarterly?

That makes sense. I've been meaning to ring them anyway so will quiz them.

Tbh we've always paid monthly so I can't advise on that front but did you guys get a letter about Visa changing their rules? No company will any longer be able offer a flat fee per debit transaction IE 20 odd pence. It will be a percentage. Was something like 0.03% I think my letter said.

Any you guys get it?

I have always paid monthly but did get a letter saying the payment structure was changing. I seem to pay streamline for monthly transactions but also have a quarterly fee from card save which covers hire of terminal and paper rolls. Had so many different letters, bit confused with it all at the mo, need to take some time to go through it all! I was sure I was up to date with compliance surveys etc as I'm sure I had done everything. Will get on the phone as soon as I get a chance this week.

That makes sense. I've been meaning to ring them anyway so will quiz them.

Tbh we've always paid monthly so I can't advise on that front but did you guys get a letter about Visa changing their rules? No company will any longer be able offer a flat fee per debit transaction IE 20 odd pence. It will be a percentage. Was something like 0.03% I think my letter said.

Any you guys get it?

I don't remember seeing a letter like that but like daydreams I've had quite a few latley and it's all a bit confusing,

Just gone through my emails and I have one from a few months ago thanking me for doing my compliance survey and that I am all up to date so really need to check what this scan fee is all about as don't remember reading anything about that. I wonder if all these other card readers and mobile payment apps I read about on here charge for compliance fees too.
There's not a lot of info about. Funnily enough in the summer, a sales rep from another card company booked to see me to see if they were more competitive but then when they knew who I was with said they couldn't proceed as they were a partner company so would not be ethical of them! Found it all a bit odd!

A lot of the others don't do compliance for some reason? I was on a thread a few months ago on here telling people about it but they had no idea what it was they were with various companies, I don't get charged for the scans usually tho, only if I miss the questionnaire time limit (I missed it last year too) I'll check my emails too I think

I do t pay for scans, but I once missed the compliance date and was charged £100. 😳😩
I've never missed it again and always phone the company to ensure that everything is up to date
Pain in the neck !

They was charging me £10 a month non compliance fee for 3 years and I never even noticed until 2 months ago!!! I rang up and it only just stopped

Do you also pay a £15 merchant fee every month, which covers all card payments up to around £500 or something like that? That's not for rental equip, it's for merchant fees.

Do you also pay a £15 merchant fee every month, which covers all card payments up to around £500 or something like that? That's not for rental equip, it's for merchant fees.

Nope.

Literally pay the £20 odd for a manual online terminal for phone payments and a website gateway for payments then don't pay any extra until I go over 350 transactions then it's 20 odd pence a throw.

So does the online compliance registration have to be done every year? I did not know this and havn't done mine! Is the renewal date the same for everyone or does it depend when you done it last time? I haven't recieved a letter or anything to say I have to re-do this?!! Hope I don't get charged :-s

I took my machine out in the August but my compliance gets done in January, I pay £15 per month for rental and then fees per card on a separate date nothing else tho

I need to speak to Worldpay!

Nope.

Literally pay the £20 odd for a manual online terminal for phone payments and a website gateway for payments then don't pay any extra until I go over 350 transactions then it's 20 odd pence a throw.

World pays fees are done by estimated turnover so unless you're making mega bucks it doesn't really work out. I tried to get a good deal from them but they couldn't beat what netpay were offering me!

Worldpay tried to warn me off by saying the other company probably wouldn't have a uk based 24/7 support centre but I checked and they do so can't see any benefit of going with world pay. They also messed me around a lot with the original appointment, and their staff call you from mobile phones rather than an office which sounds like they are always driving !

I'm not sure they do go off turnover my turnover would be nothing like banner penguins or the others on here probably (single stylist sole trader) and we pay nearly the same?

Just to let you all know there has apparently been a problem. With there system and they have been charging people for a compliance fee when they shouldn't be. I phoned and They are giving me a refund, not sure if everyone will automatically get a refund if they have also been wrongly charged or wether you will also have to phone them.

Latest posts

Back