Anyone else have special needs kids or adults ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarfarie

Reaction score
My last baby turned 18 on Friday, he has aspergers and a visual problem amongst other stuff too, my older son, 21 has adhd and autistic tendencies ! My youngest daughter, 23 has cerebral palsy, hydrocephalus and epilepsy, oldest daughter, 25, has severe psoriasis and psoriatic (sp) arthritis and my step daughter, 20, suffers from fatigue and depression, all live with me and my husband, apart from my eldest daughter.
It's been a long journey so far, with many more bumps to come, but I wouldn't have it any other way !
:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Omg I couldn't imagin what you have been through. My husband has extreme adult adhd and also is a recovering drug addict/alcoholic. I love him more then anyone in the world but somedays I just want to lock myself alone in my bedroom and cry lol.

He has been clean for 1.5 year but I never ever thought id make it through but I have! Because of the heavy drug use he has a bit of brain damage, it gets better every day but its frustrating. I can't ask him to do anything because he forgets, I have to write things out exactly if im going to work and I have to get him to repeat things back to me over and over and his emotions are a bit out tough to deal with but I love him. He has been a fantastic partner to me and has been there when I needed him. I never thought he could be the person he is today and im so proud of him :)

lots of love! Xoxo

Wow you must be busy! I have fibromyalgia andhypermobility syndrome myself and I have 4 beautiful children my two boys are autistic and at opposite ends of the spectrum. One is non verbal and still in nappies at 8 and the other is 7 and high functioning very similar to aspergers with adhd too. My girls are 2 so terrible twos and 14 on Sunday so teenage angst and drama lol but no medical issues so far.

My brother has adhd and autism, he's been very hard work, especially at the age he is now (17.) But wouldn't change him x

Hi your a very buisy mum.my daughter has born at 25 weeks at half a pound she is now 7 so as a result of that she had hole in the heart bleeding on the brain meningitis twice and pheonmonia 4 times and now has severe learning difficulties,behavioural problems,very poor eyesight and a squint that she had surgery on last week.she also has lung disease and today had tests for cystic fibroses :0(.

I wouldn't want her another way apart from not having cystic fibroses.XX

I have a daughter with a rare condition RCDP, usually fatal in the early years but she's coming up 11 this month. She has many complications some being she doesn't walk, talk and still wears nappies. As she's getting older sometimes it gets hard on how to entertain her as she's never played with toys and does need support in everything that she does, but she's happy, healthy and can eat vegetables and chicken for England!

I'm so glad I started this thread, I can see how you all love your special kids, I just adore all of mine :) I think we are blessed to have such inspirational children :)
Big hugs to you all x

My 15 month old has no severe disabilities but has a severe dairy protein allergy that is anaphylactic, a soya intolerance, has reflex anoxic seizures brought on by extreme emotion (anger,pain,getting excited etc) has grommets in place due to constant double ear infection and is being tested for immune deficiency this morning as he has had 14 separate courses of anti-biotics in 15 months and they don't seem to work properly.
How do other people manage to balance work and a child/children with medical issues?
I find myself torn between needing to work as I love it and need my sanity.but wanting to be at home to constantly monitor him. Nobody except nursery and his nanna will ever watch him as they are terrified of feeding him something wrong or him having a seizure. (literally.nanna only.img emergencies and nursery 1 and a half day a week) sorry I know.org not as bad as some but to be honest I'm struggling to find a balance. He is the youngest of 4 and the other 3 have had no issues Xx (sorry sound like I'm moaning) xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

My son is 7 with autisim and Poss adhd as well as sensory issues.
His hard work, but wouldn't change him for the world x x

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

gemmalou your babe does have severe problems, I can't help you with the work balance thing as I choose to stay at home and look after mine as it was nigh on impossible to fit in work and everyones needs and appointments.
I do hope you are claiming some dla for the extra care you have to give.
Sorry I'm not very helpful, but sending you big hugs xxx

Hi thanks for replying no we don't get anything as my partner will not hear of it as we will provide everything for him. I think for him applying for dla is admitting that Finlay has problems and we deal with it everyday so just deal with it everyday xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I think you Mums are all stars.

I have a deaf five year old. She's on the autistic spectrum and under a psychiatrist... Mainly she has OCD and night terrors.

I'm used to it now. I think I'd find it hard if she was "normal"

I automatically out her food on the plate in the colours of the rainbow anti clockwise! I don't think twice about her socks having to be at the same point and take from the second draw! I never question why she has to enter and exit the car via the drivers door!

Her hearing aids are pink and glittery! It's all go in our house! X

Hi.
My 14 year old neice has lysencephally(a brain disorder),epilepsy,aspergers,autism,and is severley disabled too.

Me and my family are all very close and my kids and i spend as much time as we can with her.

She learns so much from my kids,but equally my kids learn so so much from her.

My 2 year old can just about do basic makaton signing to her and my older 2 communicate with her really well too.

My parents have her for respite for my sister and we all muck in with hospital appointments for lifts and extra hands etc etc.

To me she is my perfect Char and i wouldnt have her any other way.Shes never known any different and neither have we.

My sister was told she would never walk but age 9 she defied them and with a huge amount of time and patience from my parents and my sister and her partner she walked un aided!
Unfortunatly due to severe scoliosis of her spine shes not walking quite as much right now and will need spinal surgery in the coming years but we will all muck in and do our absolute best to help my sis and bro in law with her recovery.

She is a true inspiration to me and my family and we couldnt imagine life without her.
:)

My son has ADHD with sensory issues & possible autistic tendencies( not looking to have this confirmed as they are say this could just be ADHD) we are now in a completely different place from where we were last year ;-) I've changed from sticking my heels in to picking my fights and knowing when to walk away! Dad is getting there too were going on the incredible years program soon so hoping things keep improving ;-)

Take my hat off all you mums xxxx

My older brother has Fragile X. ADHD, autism, Tourettes, severe learning difficulties. He used to run my mum & dad ragged when we were kids & he still lives at home & they are still caring for him even though they are nearing their 70s. He was extremely destructive as a child & uses to trash the house on a daily basis. Pretty much everything he touched he broke, which included many of my toys! Growing up was not always easy & lord only knows how my mum coped with him; but you know what... she always said, she wouldn't change him for the world! Hats off & much respect to all those mums & familys. xx

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

My 11 year old has ADHD & autistic traits. My hubby works long hours so child care falls to me. I can count on one hand how many non-family birthday parties he's been invited to. It used to break my heart trying to explain why he was the only kid in his class not invited but now I'm so proud of his acceptance of this (not that I think this is okay though). I have found that throughout primary school the other parents were worse than the kids for bad mouthing him. He once got blamed for hitting another kid at a party & he wasn't even there! I have to say I'm astounded at how many of us in this industry are in the same situation. Do you think there is a reason why we chose this industry? X

Julesc I think thats disgusting people are so rude & blind, as parents they should be ashamed of them selfs >:-|

There's nothing wrong with any of our children they are just different ;-) xx

My 13 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with Aspergers. All her life we just thought she was a bit eccentric :). We are still adjusting to the diagnosis - she has told a few of her close friends but Is still reluctant to tell her class as I think she feels she that it would just get her "labelled" and set up for teasing and worse.

In her own mind, and away from school, she is a Proud Aspie and has even set up a Facebook page to encourage more teenagers to talk about their condition.

The psychologists felt she didn't need any support or anything as she appears to cope well with her life - and they put that down to the fact that we got a late diagnosis and unknowingly have implemented our own coping strategies that suit her.

We are still learning what makes her tick - and patiently listening to her Harry Potter obsession ;-). But most of all just being there and letting her be 'Emily'

Latest posts

Back