Anyone had problems being on the depo injection?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hi guys, bit of a personal one really but here goes...

I've been on the Depo Provera. Contraceptive injection for 10 years straight. I love it as I don't get my monthly and not put any weight on due to it which I know can be a side effect.

But, I have noticed in the past 6 months (probably been goinng on longer though) that my sex drive disappears when I have it and only seems to return in the week before I'm due to have it again.

Has anyone else experience of this and managed to find a suitablle alternative?

As I said, I love having it, it suits me in every other way, but this particular side effect is starting to get me down.

I appreciate not everyone will want to comment here if they have/have had this problem, so would welcome a pm if you don't mind :)

Thanks guys

Sarah. Xx

Oh no, this is not good!
I can't comment because I've never had it
But I have the mirena it's a coil type thing... AMAZING!
No periods, no weight gain, no worrying about taking a daily/monthly contraceptive.. Lasts for 5years
Can't say I have experienced any side affects whatsoever, oh and defo no loss of libido!
Maybe see you gp?
Xx

I was on the depo for a while and was the dame, I managed not to gain weight but did experience loss of libido. That's about 12 years ago.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I had a total loss of sex drive on the depo, I used to joke that was why it was such an effective contraceptive! I also got very, very depressed whilst I was on it. I went to the doctor and he basically said "you'll be like this for the next 12 weeks" so I had 12 weeks of being really miserable, awful.
This was a good few years ago and needless to say I don't have it anymore.

I had it for about a year, and was fine. Had a bit of a break from it when I moved to a new area and when I went back on it- spotting, weight gain, low libido and my skin was atrocious, spots on top of spots!
The nurse couldn't explain it. Not using any form of hormonal contraceptive now.

Sarah x

Firstly I'm sure you should have a break from it as it's recomended people have it for no more than 5 years in a row. Only a short break is needed between 3 & 6 months I think but my Dr told me I had to have a break.

Will see if I can find the above info online and post a link to it for you.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5767108/side_effects_of_depoprovera.html?cat=71

Not wanting to scare you but I'm sure this was because of something to do with higher chances of brittle bones if used over too long a time. I cant remember exactly why now but I definatley got told I needed to have a break (I had already decided to stop it anyway though as we were going to try for a baby).

I first had Depo after my first son and had it for nearly 5 years when I came off it to have my daughter. I then had depo a few times and started putting on weight so opted for the implant. I had that for 2 years but it was nothing but trouble for me (the entire time I bled constantly with 3-5 days off every month). I had that removed and had 1 more Depo injection and we decided to have more children so came off it again.

I am now back on the Depo (after having another 2 children - 4 in total) and am putting on weight with it and have totally lost my Libido too. I too find that just before it's due again my Libido starts to come back and then dissapears instantly when I have the jab :cry:.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back