Anyone have experience with the Beauty Academy or Carlton Institute?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pippymilly

Reaction score
i thought you guys would know more than me so advice on doing either nvq training or city&guilds training? or are they both the same?
also, i'm pretty sure i'm going back to college next year to do my nvq as it's the cheaper option but i have been looking into some courses.
the beauty academy, is my ideal choice! but they ask for money upfront which i cannot afford :(
and also anyone have experience with pinks academy/carlton institute? their course is ideal for me as it wouldn't mean leaving my son
xxx

I have done some training with The Beauty Academy before. It was OK... Fun and informative and lots of practical. I found they cut a lot of corners with theory - they hand you a little printed handbook, race you through the answers on the test in the back and then you move straight to practical. I didn't walk out feeling confident, I only got that through practice (maybe it's the same with any course though, I don't know!)...

I have done some training with The Beauty Academy before. It was OK... Fun and informative and lots of practical. I found they cut a lot of corners with theory - they hand you a little printed handbook, race you through the answers on the test in the back and then you move straight to practical. I didn't walk out feeling confident, I only got that through practice (maybe it's the same with any course though, I don't know!)...

Whether you do a short course or year long college course, you still need to practice, practice, practice to get your confidence. You'll also never stop learning. NVQ's are your foundation learning, you just continue to build on your skills as you become more experienced.

The biggest factor is how YOU learn and only you can decide this. For me, a college course is better as I like to have someone around so I can just ask "am I doing this right?", but that's just me. I don't feel I could've learnt everything on a 5 day NVQ course.

I personally think if you are going to a one day course, it is better to spend the majority of your time on the practical. My reason for this is that you can read and learn the theory at home, whereas you need the trainer to assist with the practical. I have done a number of courses with The Beauty Academy, albeit quite a few years ago, and I am friendly with the lady who owns the business. (Coral.)

You could do, say, one course and then only have to pay for one course, then practice, practice, practice and start charging, and start saving up for your next course. I actually think you might be able to book with a deposit and pay the balance on the day, with Beauty Academy, and yes, you can go on to do C&G.

Whether you do a short course or year long college course, you still need to practice, practice, practice to get your confidence. You'll also never stop learning. NVQ's are your foundation learning, you just continue to build on your skills as you become more experienced.

The biggest factor is how YOU learn and only you can decide this. For me, a college course is better as I like to have someone around so I can just ask "am I doing this right?", but that's just me. I don't feel I could've learnt everything on a 5 day NVQ course.

Very true, unfortunately, these short courses do not allow for correction or for you to develop as a therapist and gain experience. I can only speak for massage, but I've seen so many therapists come away from a course, and practice but they are unaware until it is pointed out that they have haven't fully understood the technique and have picked up bad habits.

Training is the foundation for our careers so it pays to get the very best training you can rather than taking shortcuts.

I'm confused; city and guilds quals are NVQ quals so I'm not sure what you mean?

Hi. I am looking at these courses for my daughter. NVQs are city and guilds but city and guild also do a diploma level 2 and 3. Which are not the same.
Still can't decide the best way to go as there are also BTec. It's so confusing.

thanks everyone for the great advice. i was confused about the qualifications as i have seen a city and guilds level 2 in beauty therapy and also an nvq level 2, i wasn't sure what the difference was?
xxx

Just thought I would add something about short courses..
I worked in colleges for a few years and now work teaching short courses. I never understood how anyone could possibly gain a qualification in one day, and now I do..
The training is taught in some groups with lots of attention. I can pick up mistakes and problems much better and faster than I could teaching to larger classes in FE, I also don't have all the paper work to fill in, which frees up more time.
Something I have noticed is I spend alot of time un-doing bad teaching. Do not assume that just because you are spending more time on a course you will be taught more as these days this is not often the case (not all colleges, but some)
I am finding that a number of stundents are going to college then having to come to do short courses to get the correct skills!
Do you research and find the best place for you, ask people have been before and their veiws.

City and Guild is the awarding body, you will also see this sometimes as VTCT and ITEC. They all award NVQ's but its a different awarding body (company) that the school or college has picked to use.

Hi

I have done a couple of courses with the beauty academy and I have to say, since becoming a qualified beauty therapist (through college) I can see the huge difference. Of couse learning is individual and what works for me may not work for the next person but I can honestly say I have more confidence having spent time time at college, plus we had a working salon on site so I gained hands on experience also.

In my experience a day is not enough and like one post stated, the theory is minimal and rushed and in my opinion often the practical side has missed a large chunk of the practical element.

This is my experience anyhow and like I said short courses may work for some.

I did ear piercing with the Carlton Institute at Durham.
The course was reasonably priced and the kit was ample.
I was a bit shocked by it though, there was a classroom with me and one other lady and the lecturer. We were given a pack with about 5 pages in which explained the theory, contra indications, hygiene etc and then we were shown a piercing gun and how to set it up.
The gun was then passed between me and the other lady, we each had to set the gun up twice in front of the lecturer and pierce a cotton pad twice. Then the course was over and we were given a certificate. It was done in less than 40 minutes.

I wasn't impressed and since haven't pierced anyone as the insurance that you have to buy for yourself and the premises you're working from is very expensive and to be honest I don't have the confidence as I have never actually pierced a person, yet I'm meant to be qualified!?

If you buy the starter kit from studex (which is not very expensive) they will come to you to train you. It is a few hours and they ask you to arrange models to come so you can pierce them. So you do get to pierce real people. The Guild offer insurance for no extra premium for ear lobes. There is a small supplement for top ear and nose.

Hope this helps

xx

City and Guild is the awarding body, you will also see this sometimes as VTCT and ITEC. They all award NVQ's but its a different awarding body (company) that the school or college has picked to use.

Can you PM me please. Looking for some one to one training.

Debbie

My sister and I have done a couple of courses at the beauty academy, they are very good, but maybe not that informative on the practical side, we do get to do treatment etc on others whilst there. If I hadn't had my sister there or a vast amount of family and friends to practise on I don't think I would be that confident going out to clients after the courses. They are grey and the ladies that run them are very friendly. I would definitely attend another course with them but would allow at least a month of practise before I charge anyone!

Grey - great!

The beauty academy are good! but like a lot of short courses- you will only really benefit if you already have the basics of beauty therapy. Like someone mentioned already, the theory is rushed but that because most therapist already know it and it gets like a broken record going over it on every single course.

Hi, we run a training centre and have had good feed back from our students that have undertook training at Pinks/ Carlton and the Beauty academy. Like someone else has mentioned try to speak to past students, ask the training centre if they have a list of students that don't mind their contact details being passed on. We operate a system like this, we also encourage potential students to visit us for a cuppa and a look around before committing to the training. After all the venue, training environment and tutor are equally important as the course itself. Good look with your training, who ever you choose :lol:

Davex
TSL Holistic Training

Hi, we run a training centre and have had good feed back from our students that have undertook training at Pinks/ Carlton and the Beauty academy. Like someone else has mentioned try to speak to past students, ask the training centre if they have a list of students that don't mind their contact details being passed on. We operate a system like this, we also encourage potential students to visit us for a cuppa and a look around before committing to the training. After all the venue, training environment and tutor are equally important as the course itself. Good look with your training, who ever you choose :lol:

Davex
TSL Holistic Training

Could you DM me about any courses you have? do you have any in the yorkshire region. thanks

http://www.salongeek.com/blogs/laur...e-part-one-training-portfolio-assessment.html

I did my nvq 2 in beauty with the carlton institute. The above link is to part one of two of a blog I did. It's a long read but I try to be as honest and detailed as possible.

It's not great but it's not terrible. I think it totally depends on what your needs are as a learner and what you hope to get out of the course and your career.

I'd also like to add that having done both college and private training, the quality of the tuition/overall experience is variable in both settings so it's definitely about doing as much research as possible before committing to a course.

Latest posts

Back