Anyone having problems with the cat and the Xmas tree??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandz

Reaction score
I'm having real problems at the minute with my 8 month kitten pulling everything off the Xmas tree. he tries to climb it too, the trees been pushed over more than 10 times now and wandering whether anyone has and trick to avoid this other than an electric fence around the tree!! lol (I wouldn't really do that)
It's driving me bonkers!!!! he he

Ooh I really know what you mean..
When I had kittens they used to climb my yukka plant. Blimmin ruined it they did.
i used to shoo them off but when I wasnt looking they were there on it again.. thought it was a great game! LOL

A great tip I was told.. which was rub the trunk with lemon and slices of lemon at the bottom.
Cats hate the smell and deters them..

Worked for me.
Dunno about a xmas tree though, maybe rub around the base? or on each decoration?

HTH xx

Hi,

I've got three adult cats and they just LOVE the Christmas tree.

Most mornings we wake up with decorations all over the house and virtually none left on the tree. :lol:

I have also on occasion found one of them sitting in the tree. They think it's great fun and they all take turns to try and climb it or sharpen their claws on !

I have made peace with the fact that I need to decorate my tree at least 4 times a week and have no problem with it. At least the tree gets a new look every couple of days :lol: :lol:

Marlise

my mum puts a hook in the ceiling and ties the tree to it.

my dog ate robbed and ate the chocolate coins off the tree... and then was sick because she ate the foil wrapping too! Last year she went one better, my mum put choc santa's on the tree and she sucked the chocolate out and left the wrappers intact, so none of us realised until we came to eat them and they were empty.

The cats and the dogs are behaving so well with the tree. Unfortunately my 17 year old daughter had the whole tree on her head the other day! OMG there is no hope

I have two words for you

"Water Pistol"

or

'Spray bottle"

Works every time.... :lol:
That's how my family breaks cats of nasty habits (like climbing screens on doors, jumping on counters etc)
Takes some perseverence and keeping your eyes peeled and your 'pistol' handy at your side for a while (sometimes you gotta sneak up on the beggars) but after they've been 'shot' a few times... they usually get the picture.

Cat's also dont like: mothballs, lemonjuice, the smell of amonia, chilli powder....

but I find water pistols the most humane.

Also, keep loose 'tinsel' off the tree.
Nothings stranger than seeing your cat walk around with a silver string hanging out of his arse:eek:
Very good for our funny bone, very bad for the cat.:rolleyes:

Terrible problems I have a 16 wk kitten and my tree looks awful from him kicking all the baubles off, jumping up it and pulling the lights off etc. I am going to have to give it a quick juzzle before the guests come!!

I have two words for you

"Water Pistol"

or

'Spray bottle"

That's how my family breaks cats of nasty habits (like climbing screens on doors, jumping on counters etc)
Takes some perseverence and keeping your eyes peeled and your 'pistol' handy at your side for a while (sometimes you gotta sneak up on the beggars) but after they've been 'shot' a few times... they usually get the picture.

Cat's also dont like: mothballs, lemonjuice, the smell of amonia, chilli powder....

Nothings stranger than seeing your cat walk around with a silver string hanging out of his arse:eek:

My work mate does the water spray trick and her cat, Ollie, goes no where near the tree now!

We have 2 9 month old kittens, first christmas and the lure of the tree is so tempting.......until they get a dose of the spray bottle. For those that have a poundland store nearby they have metallic spray bottles which is what we use.

Cats dare not go near the tree now for fear of getting soaked.:lol:

From the moment that my tree goes up my eldest cat max is always trying to eat it. (he's the mikey of cats he'll eat anything, I guess thats why he's 20 pounds) My other cat Elmo loves to lay under the tree and swat the bows across the room. He than gets upset and starts to meow wanting me to put the bows back on just so he can start swatting them again. I gave up years ago trying to keep them away from the tree.

SC

Yep, the water bottle works great!!! I have 2 cats, each a year old, and of course they mangled the tree a couple of times! Went a bought a spray bottle, and every time they get close to the tree, I give em a squirt. Now when they see the bottle come out, they run for the hills!

LOL! My 5 month old kitten is destructing my tree too! She doesn't try to climb it fortunately though... but has totally wrecked the lower branches - no baubles left and the branches are all weakened now! :irked:

I have two words for you

"Water Pistol"

or

'Spray bottle"

Ooh just read this... I feel a spray bottle coming on! :lol:

The cats and the dogs are behaving so well with the tree. Unfortunately my 17 year old daughter had the whole tree on her head the other day! OMG there is no hope

How on earth did she end up with a xmas tree on her head?!?!?!?

How on earth did she end up with a xmas tree on her head?!?!?!?

She was pressy fiddling! Serves her right!

LMAO, all your responses made me giggle!!!
THanks guys, I'll be giving some of your tips a whirl!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back