Anyone starting college September 2015?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy birthday whirlywheels and all the best of luck with the salon! That's awesome

I can't wait either coco =)

Well I've just rang the college to check if any books are included in the kit we have to get and I was told I can't do level 2 as I've had no beauty experience and I'd need to do level 1 first! that's another £500 plus the £900 for level 2 plus it wud take 2yrs. :-( what levels are you all doing then? I don't know if I'm going be able to do it now I do really want to do it tho and my other half says to do it if I really want to just wasn't expecting to have to do level 1 before I can get anywhere :-( though been a nurse might have helped a little with a&p side but looks like it dosnt... Feeling a little deflated

Hiya

I think you should shop about a little more. I have absolutely no experience in beauty and I was able to apply for the nvq2.

I have not gone through a college or tech, I am training at a beauty school that is vtct registered. From my limited research I found that most beauty training schools offer the condensed nvq2s to complete beginners but they (unfortunately) charge a lot more. I am starting a combined nvq2 nail technician course and nvq2 beauty therapy in September. This runs for one evening and one full day per week, 35wks for £1625.

Hope this helps you =)

Im a mature student At the ripe old age of 27 lol if its what u really love an want to do then go for it!!! I did my level one firs and it was grate, took me in gradually an built up my confidence a lot, i have been doin crappy jobs on and off for years and this is the best decision i ever made! Im doing something i love and ive got a real passion for. Thats the inly way ur going to get job satisfaction i think! I no 500 i a lot of money but in the grand scheme of things it can b done, also that way u can find out if its really for u, not really what u expected. I bet it was gutting finding out u had to do your level 1 first and that it would take that much longer, but since doing my training iv found its allllll about the experience!!! The more u do it the betta ull b, every head of hair is different. U won't regret it [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Also ive finished my level 2 and thinking of going onto my level 3, but i dnt no wether to wait and gain some more experience first?? Xxx.

Thank you I will have another look around :)

I think u can only go off how u feel urself, r u confident? Do u feel ready for the level 3 or would u like to have some time perfecting ur current skills?

Can I ask what was level 1 like? I'm nervous invade its full of teenagers but then it is an evenin class so I hope the young uns will want full time in the day... Hopefully there will be people like me just starting out needing to do the level 1.
Do you do any practical with level 1? Thanks :)

I was exactly tha same! I was dreading being in a class with a load of 16 yr olds [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] but wen i did it in evening class it was a mix of ages, ranging from 19 to 60 lol witch is grate, i think your right youngsters tend to go on the all day classes, as the evening ones are more filled with people who work during tha day or have kids and wo have u, yeh u do practical, u just get practice the basics first like doing an amazing blow dry or simple cut, i no i think im going to wait untill next year to do my level 3, i would rather go there having a good knowledge and background of u get me lol xxxx

Can I ask what was level 1 like? I'm nervous invade its full of teenagers but then it is an evenin class so I hope the young uns will want full time in the day... Hopefully there will be people like me just starting out needing to do the level 1.

I was worried the same, but in my level 2 PT course which was a day a week, the youngest was about 20 and the oldest ladies in their late 50s, and lots in between! It was really, really great having a range of ages, and I think the group had a really good work ethic, and really enthusiastic. You could tell everyone was there because they wanted to be, and because they wanted a career out of this.

I would just double check about that level 1 thing though. At my college, everyone automatically started at level 2, even without previous beauty experience. It would be a shame if it took you an extra year to get where you want to be, especially if you want to carry on to do your massage level 3 qualification. I'm getting excited for September now. I've got my a apprentice interview on Friday. Really nervous!

Hi

I'm starting my level 5 HND in beauty management in September.

I think this group is a great idea as it means every one can help each other.

I completed my level 2 in June 2013 and my level 3 in June 2014

I was exactly tha same! I was dreading being in a class with a load of 16 yr olds [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] but wen i did it in evening class it was a mix of ages, ranging from 19 to 60 lol witch is grate, i think your right youngsters tend to go on the all day classes, as the evening ones are more filled with people who work during tha day or have kids and wo have u, yeh u do practical, u just get practice the basics first like doing an amazing blow dry or simple cut, i no i think im going to wait untill next year to do my level 3, i would rather go there having a good knowledge and background of u get me lol xxxx
Your very lucky I'm 25 and both my level 2 and 3 were full of 16-17 year olds. It was like a school playground so bitchy it was unreal

I brought a book by Lorraine Nordman the official guide to level 2 beauty therapy NVQ I just put beauty therapy level 2 in the eBay search and this was the newest version number 5

I already had an older version but wanted the more update one and for £10 it was a bargain, it's good to get started on learning the anatomy and physiology as I've heard it's quite hard to remember and you need a high pass rate on your exams

Yes I'm looking forward to getting on with my course finally and glad my arm turned out ok and the operation was successful

My course is £1,000 per year and uniform and kit is £120 for both

I definitely recommend starting on your a&p (anatomy & physiology) early as if you decide to move on to level 3 it's so much harder and having the knowledge already really does help

I am selling my Level 2 Beauty Therapy Diploma handbook if anyone is keen and wants some pre-course reading? It's the Hiscock and Lovett one and it's in great condition, £15.

Your very lucky I'm 25 and both my level 2 and 3 were full of 16-17 year olds. It was like a school playground so bitchy it was unreal
Ohhhh neva!!! Well done u fir stickin it out that would have driven me mad [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] xxx

Hello guys, just thought I'd see how everyone is getting on with getting enrolled in their college courses.
I rang th college, and have just had all the paperwork through for the kit, the new uniform and the enrolment forms.
I have ordered my uniform, which is a purple tunic with grey trousers, whereas last year the college uniform was all black. And after reading on here about the harder A&P I've also ordered the level 3 text book for a bit of 'light' (!) reading over the summer.
Just got to order my kit, which is the electrolysis equipment I think, and send back my enrollemnt forms and I'm done!
How's everyone getting on? Are you getting excited?? [emoji2][emoji2]

Hi all,

I've enrolled for a city and guilds level 2 in makeup which is for one evening a week at a local college. Very excited to start.

I have a indication day to attend on 17th sept. it's a real downer they expect me to do level 1, the were pretty adamant on the phone :-( but will argue my case! I was much more excited wen I thought I would be doing level 2, will see what happens... Sounds like everyone else is going on well and getting prepared! :)

I have a indication day to attend on 17th sept. it's a real downer they expect me to do level 1, the were pretty adamant on the phone :-( but will argue my case! I was much more excited wen I thought I would be doing level 2, will see what happens... Sounds like everyone else is going on well and getting prepared! :)

Have you checked other colleges nearby? I'm really surprised they're insisting you do level 1 first. Most colleges let mature students start at level 2.

Yeah there's another college but there only doing the course full time, another about 20 mile away seem to accept straight onto level 2 but it's 1 full day a week which is a bit difficult with having to pay nursery but then I suppose it depends on how much there charging for the course, it could work out about the same if they dot charge as much as the one I've applied to. Then there's one even further away maybe about 30 mile that are taking straight on to level 2 not sure of the day it runs or costs- I've sent my details to show my interest, but then that's not ideal been so far away! not having much luck really

Regarding the cost...
If you do the level 2 one full day a week, you'd be qualified a lot sooner than if you have to spend a further year studying level 1 & then level 2.

Plus once you're qualified, you can start looking for work and/or doing a bit of mobile to start earning back your tuition fees. :)

Sometimes you have to 'play the long game'.

Latest posts

Back