Anyone With Pc Know-how?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
please help me, ive been trying to install Quicktime, but every time it gets so far i get a message about not having permission or summit. ive took a screenshot of the message i keep getting, so maybe some of you geeks that are clued up on this sort of thing could help me.

thanks in advance
:hug:

Attachments

• quicktime message.jpg
    quicktime message.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 48
hiya, just asked hubby (he's a computer wizz, lol) and he said you need to be loged in to the pc you are useing as administrator with full access rights,
hope this helps:)

hiya, just asked hubby (he's a computer wizz, lol) and he said you need to be loged in to the pc you are useing as administrator with full access rights,
hope this helps:)

i am logged in as administratior with full access rights flower

if it your pc you should have the admin rights,
click on start
go to control pannel
go to user accounts
click on the account that sais COMPUTER ADMINISTRATOR (there should be one)
hope this is helpfull for you:)

was you logged in with admin rights when you were trying to load it, or have you just loged in to it?

was you logged in with admin rights when you were trying to load it, or have you just loged in to it?

as far as im aware ive always been logged in with full admin rights

ok hubby said make sure you have all other applications closed when you are trying to install it, if it still comes up with the same message you may have to get another copy of the quicktime as the one you are trying to install may be corrupt, he also said you have to make sure the quicktime you are installing is compatible with the windows you have on your pc, i will pm you the address of a web site he just told me you can get different versions of quicktime from just incase your one is not compatible:)

If you've already got quicktime installed, either a corrupt version, or a partially installed version, it maybe could cause this error. Go to start menu, control panel, add or remove programs and see if it is already there. Delete it if it is, then reinstal it.
Good luck!
Marion X

Are you installing it from a CD or downloading it from the website? Because if you are using a CD you would need that 25 character key code from the CD packaging...

If you are doing it from the website, could be that it is having a conflict with some other software on your PC....I'm going to search for answers

BRB!

Okay, I copied this from the Quicktime website...

Troubleshooting Tips

• Make sure your computer meets the system requirements.
  • Try running ScanDisk to verify that the directory is OK. This is an important step to take before installing any software.
  • Try running the stand-alone version of the QuickTime installer in "Safe Mode." It is available here. This can help to isolate issues with background applications, and some driver conflicts.
  • Make certain you have installed the most recent drivers for your sound and video cards. Even if you have a "brand new" computer, it is not guaranteed to have the most recent software installed. Contact the manufacturer of your sound and video cards for additional information.
  • Make certain you have installed a recent version of DirectX
What version do you have hun?? There's more info, but I wasn't sure.

thanks girls, i have done everything you have all suggested and im still having the same problem.

i have full admin rights
ive uninstalled
etc
etc

i used to have it on my pc too at one time but cos i didnt use it i uninstalled it - bloody typical eh

any other suggestions would be gratefully recieved

ok you have a problem with the registy entry on your PC for either the windows installation or a previous installation of Quicktime, for which the registry entry usually remains even after uninstallation.
Having googled problems with the registry for quicktime, it appears to be a problem with new releases which are linked to flash & itunes. Do you have itunes and flash on your pc?
My suggestion to you at this stage would be a) if you have either itumes or flash installed uninstall both, then reboot, install the quicktime itunes bundle and reboot.
if this doesn;t work, let me know.

Hi Glynis
Go to your "start" button and press that.
On the list that pops up, go to "control panel" and click it.
Scroll down to "system" and lick that.
A window should open up.

Tell me what it says abut the windows version, eg is it
Microsoft windows XP Professional version 2002 Service pack 2

Dont need to give me the info in the middle of the window.

Look a little further down in this window and it will tell you the processor, with a lot of numbers and Ghz, MB of Ram etc. Tell me all that it says here.

Where did you get your version of quicktime. Was it on a disc or did you download it?

What version of Quicktime are you trying?

I'll see if I can see what's up if you give me this info and I'll try to help.

Marion x

the error that has come up is an error within your pc registry like what ms. matrix has said.....there are a number of programs that you can download to clean the registry of files/keys that are no longer used on your pc. a good one is STOPzilla. I had this and managed to fix everything that was wrong on my pc, (and i had major problems...i had a virus within the registry...). after you have managed to do this try and reinstall from the quicktime website.
this one is a free one...and sponsered by google...which is usually a good thing...and microsoft certified.
:: Free Registry Fix ::

its worth a try and even if you clean ur registry you will probably improve ur pc performance anyway!!
HTH's...good luck!

Tell me what it says abut the windows version,
Microsoft windows XP Home edition version 2002 Service pack 2

Dont need to give me the info in the middle of the window.

Look a little further down in this window and it will tell you the processor, with a lot of numbers and Ghz, MB of Ram etc. Tell me all that it says here.

1.99 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

Where did you get your version of quicktime. Was it on a disc or did you download it?

went to quicktime site, and downloaded from there (well tried to anyway)

What version of Quicktime are you trying?

any thats available

I'll see if I can see what's up if you give me this info and I'll try to help.

Ok, do the uninstall like I told you before in post #8

Then go to this page Apple - QuickTime - Download

Click on whichever version you want (without/with itunes)

Untick the three boxes for keeping you informed.

Dont need to put in your email address

Click on "download now"

A new window should pop up, click on "run"

It will start to download, and will probably ask you where you want it installed. Just click OK for where it suggests.

Follow any other instructions that may come up.

If this doesnt work, you may have to go down the registry route as the others have suggested. Be careful what you are deleting from the regisrty, as it can be risky. Set up a system restore point before you do it, as this should let you roll back if the computer becomes unstable if you make the wrong changes.

Best of luck!
Marion x

If it's from the Apple website, you may need to disable any firewalls, antivirus while installing.

Latest posts

Back