Apex problems, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevi

Reaction score
hi
please tell me if you have had the same problem or if its just me,
Theres a salon in town i have seen the nails they produce & they are flat & thick with the smile line half way down the nail but yet people go back, i however put the smile line where it is meant to be, give a good shaped apex and thin free edge, no breaking or lifting problems but ive heard 2 clients have had the l&P nails ive done replaced because of the bumps (apex they mean) i guess they are just used to the flat nails they get in town but its knocking my confidence
thanks bea

Hi Bea,
I haven't had this problem as I am just starting up (did my training a while ago but just got the confidence to let myself loose on the public! lol)

Don't let it knock your confidence - the apex is meant to be there to provide strength and support, I'm sure the next time they're trying to close a car boot and maybe push their nail against a zip by accident and it pings off they will figure out why.
If you are sure that the clients are going to the other salon due to the 'bumps' then maybe they just need to be educated about ehy they are there, then they might not be so quick to use the other salon. As nail techs it's our responsibilityto educate the clients, think of it as giving them the aftercare advice - if you don't tell them then they won't know.

Sorry for the long reply but I really hope that helps and remember, you're doing nothing wrong :)
Kelly

You are doing it right people will relise it. You can alsoo explain the proper structure of the nails to your clients. a wee tip, Doing an apex make shure the cuticle area is nice and thin so when a nails grow you can't see a step. The apex shouln't br to thick is well as for short extensions we don't need as much support :) Good luck.

You shouldn't be able to see the apex area as a bump.

The highest part of the nail enhancement should still be in a gentle natural curve that isn't really noticeable as in, "OH there is the APEX"!!:eek:

A badly placed apex or a noticeable apex can look as bad to some as that flat nail looks to you.

The nails we make should look as natural as possible so that people should have to look twice (or maybe 3 or 4 times lol) to see if they are real or not.

Can you see a visible apex on the nails pictured below? .. even on the thumb where you get a side view? Gentle, natural curve ... not thin free edge .. big blob in zone two and then a steep slope to the eponychium. lol
I see SO much of that and it is not pretty ... I think I would prefer flat to that look myself (not that I am implying you do that kind of nail OP. Remember this post id for general instruction not personal criticism.)

picture.php

Last edited:
Ohhhhh Gigi, every time I see your pic, it melts me:)

Bevi, don't stress about it, all good things come to those you wait:) Over time the clients that are getting flat weak nails from other places, will convert to you over time as word gets out that your nails last cause they are built correctly.

If a client questions the apex, show them a natural nail, ALL natural nails have a natural apex, it's natures way of giving us natural strength, it's our job to mimic this when building an enhancement for the exact same purpose, it's as simple as that:)
The same goes for the C-curve too, it's there to add strength to the nail and even our own natural nails have a C-curve too, again, we are just mimicking this when building an enhancement.

Try not to let yourself get down about this, just keep doing things right and it will pay off, I promise.

Latest posts

Back