Apple iMac computer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalesBeauty

Reaction score
Good evening Everyone
Do any of you have or use a Mac computer in the salon for their business?
Thinking of purchasing one and undecisive at the moment.
Computer we have at home is small, basic and slow. It would come in handy for course manuals to be stored, designed etc..but hoping for some feedback from you guys.
Thanks in advance
Sarah x

Hi there,

I'm sorry I don't use a mac at work, just at home, but I couldn't read your post without recommending a mac!

Everything is so much more simple on a mac, it just works! When we got our first mac at home my oh couldn't understand that we just brought it home and plugged it in. He asked me 'how do we format the hard drive??' XD bless him.

No more blue screens of death, very low virus risk (I don't actually have an anti-virus installed), beautiful object to boot, the new iMacs have brilliant screens which don't tire my eyes as much as other LCDs I've had and they're great for watching films on! ok so I guess thats irrelevant :D

I've heard that there's some good salon booking software on the app store, if you're not looking for something that sophisticated then iCal is great.

If an iMac is too big for what you need don't forget the mac mini, you just plug it into whatever screen you have.

Oh and another thing, they're quiet! I hate computer fans with a vengence its so nice not to hear it!

hth as you can tell I'm a big mac fan, come join the family :hug:

Air x

Hi there
thank you very much for all that info. Im excited to be finally owning what ive only ever drooled over in the apple stores. Im quite loyal to the brand tbh, always had the iphones and ipads etc, and yes run of the mil computers are quite honestly pants in our house, i feel i have to crank it up like an ole fashioned car to get going lol
Would you mind if we become friends so that i may kp in touch for help if need be?
Thanks in advance
Sarah xxxx

No probs Sarah :D Feel free to pm if you want to chat about macs :cool:

Air x

The one thing to be cautious of is whether the software you want will run on the Mac. They're nice machines, but there's a distinct lack of software for them - unless you're looking at something web-based, in which case it won't really matter.

If you want to see some salon software that will work with a Mac check out You'reOnTime - Affordable and Easy to Use Currently we have a six month free trial and 1000 free SMS's if you use the coupon code 'salongeek'. You can also sync your appointments with the iPhone or iPad. If you have any questions let me know.

Craig

Good evening Everyone
Do any of you have or use a Mac computer in the salon for their business?
Thinking of purchasing one and undecisive at the moment.
Computer we have at home is small, basic and slow. It would come in handy for course manuals to be stored, designed etc..but hoping for some feedback from you guys.
Thanks in advance
Sarah x

I have used a mac for years and can't recommend it strongly enough. You do use different software, it is true, but I have never had a problem finding what I want.

They are easy machines to use and are idiot proof, which is great for me.

I wouldn't be without mine!:green:

Thanks everyone
Shedunlop? lol I will be nagging you as well hun x:)

Why buy a mac when they are like twice the price.
I would only buy a mac if you are doing design or music.
If you are used to a Windows PC then everything on a mac is opposite and any staff you have are more likely to on a Windows PC than a mac - so more training.

PS I have a windows PC and I don't have antivirus software on either...as long as your not an idiot you don't need antivirus software!
Just make sure you get Windows 7 on it.

Hey
Why not lol
I`m not asking for anyones permission just advice :)
As for staff being used to certain programmes... then i guess its no different than an example as of late..we all changed from blackberry phones to iphones..took a bit of getting used to but now it seems like its never been any different.
Thanks

Ps
I will be needing it for designing workbooks and things for my students. x

PS I have a windows PC and I don't have antivirus software on either...as long as your not an idiot you don't need antivirus software!

Before converting to mac I used to build my own PCs. I would definatly say I am computer savvy, I have at times been without anti-virus software for one reason or another and have found my PC infected. Before you ask I don't frequent dodgy sites.

I always put this down to Windows being a weak operating system, riddled with security vulnerabilities because Microsoft prefers to bolt-on code that they bought out rather than re-writing their OS. I see now that I was wrong! My only problem was being an idiot! Shedunlop you must be right that's why I prefer mac :lol:

Jesting aside, for myself and obviously some others, getting the cheapest computer that works is not the goal. We prefer to buy an object that is pleasing to the eye and easy to work with. I don't have many things in my life that could be considered a 'status symbol', no new car, don't own my home etc. When people see my mac they say 'wow' and although I'm sure its terribly vain I like that! I consider it my one luxury in life.

I do think johnworf has a good point though about staff needing time to adjust to a different system. Also as mentioned above a lot of software won't work, you need a mac version. There are a lot of alternatives though and a lot of open source software is available. I do recommend MS Office for Mac, they've done a great job of converting it over! Used to use OpenOffice.org but the new version of MS Office is superior imo.

PC or Mac I guess there's place for everybody in the world isn't there! Did anyone see that Bill Gates visited a school in London out of the blue to talk to the kids? An admirable man! (sorry off topic I know)

Air x

when i say an idiot - what i mean is Windows 7 usually has some basic virus checker on there - for instance when you download a file etc. it will check it for you. It also has stuff like windows defender...so you don't really need norton antivirus or anything like that...IMHO they just slow down your computer as they keep doing checks all the time...knightmare. Also they are in the habit of continually pointing out something which is harmless but to the untrained eye might make you worried.

Latest posts

Back