Applying demi and permanent colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scissorhands

Reaction score
When I went to hair college I was taught to colour (using tint) from mids to ends (generally) and then roots so as to avoid a heat band. It was only when I started working at a salon that I started doing demis. However I was told to apply from roots first all over then mids to ends for demis. I was wondering why this is the case as both are colour and the only difference is one is non-permanent and the other one is a permanent. Anyone mind to un-puzzle me? :green:

When I trained, I was taught to do roots to ends as it was easier. LOL

But noe we learn there is different and more efficient ways to do it, I still get confused with what is right and wrong.

It really differs depending on what you are doing Ie regrowth on grey, full head hi lift etc.

im interested to hear other peoples responses to this as its always leftme a bit bamboozled..

i think its because semi peminants have low level peroxide so u shouldnt get banding as your not lifting. but then with perminants the heat from the scalp develops the tint quicker! does that make any sense???:)

well demis are generally just used to deposit colours, think along the lines of applying colour touch to dry hair etc etc, with tint ur using 6% so it has the ability to lift as well as deposit. when i used wella i didnt have a problem applying tints root to end but now we use tigi i find the roots are best left till last as there is a risk of root glow. different brnads seem to work in very different ways haha x

I did a colour on my friend's hair at home the other day using wella. I was using 9% and me being me I just think back to the last thing I did.. which was a demi (ie apply roots first all over then mids to ends, as I was taught). However this was a tint (and also me being me again.. I did it in the backyard under the sun as it was freezing cold inside the house). Anways she ended up having a bit of a glow on the front mainly where the baby hairs were. But yeah just to be safe I should always do tints from mids to ends first (for no regrowth all over colour)!

@magentahair - yeah I thought so! Guess I just needed someone else to tell me to have it stuck in my head lol

Latest posts

Back