Apprentice beauty therapists?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
Do they have apprentices in beauty salons now in the same way as hairdressing, where you work and go to college for a few days so most of your training is onsite.Is there such a thing ,if not why not,does anyone know.As a salon would you employ an apprentice beauty therapist.

I know that SAKS train therapists themselves. Only ever heard of one salon near me doing it & the girl that was training left 9 months into it so they didn't bother again !!

the salon i last worked in employed a receptionist, who was training in beauty therapy. on training days she would join in the treatment training, and attended the product training at the head office etc, so that once she achieved her qualification, she was ready to start in the salon. The advantage of this for the salon owner is that they are 'mouldable' to the way you do things, and havent had the time to pick up other bad habits. Student insurance should cover treatments, but this needs planning, as they need overseeing, so you are paying two wages for one treatment.You would also need to offer the treatments at a reduced price to entice people.

A college in my area has the students at college four days, and in a salon one day a week, so i suppose this is the equivalent to an apprenticeship, just more at college.

I think they are a good idea, a true realistic working environment, possibly the way forward. tjmo.:)

the salon i last worked in employed a receptionist, who was training in beauty therapy. on training days she would join in the treatment training, and attended the product training at the head office etc, so that once she achieved her qualification, she was ready to start in the salon. The advantage of this for the salon owner is that they are 'mouldable' to the way you do things, and havent had the time to pick up other bad habits.

This is what i was doing. I was hired as a receptionist in a spa while i was training, did all the treatment training ect, and was due to move over as a full time therapist when i passed my assessments... unfortunately the company was sold and they made receptionists redundant before i could pass my exams!

It is a really good idea in my opinion.

If you contact your local college and ask for the business section and let them know that you are interested in an apprentice they will give you lots of help. The college takes the student for a day and they must work 40 hours (including college time) a week. The college usually pays the students wage for the first 6 months then you must take over the wage paying after 6 months. It is a student wage which is lower than the houly rate but each module they complete they are qualified on that treatment so they can build up their own clientelle. The student can do assesments within the salon or at college and the tutor visits every 6 weeks for a short chat with the salon owner/mentor and any assesments they need to do. The students get the best of both worlds working in industry and college.

Gillian when I start my beauty training in September, we will begin by practising on eachother and then start treatments on paying clients after a couple of months. The clients come to the college and pay reduced rates whilst the students are overseen by a tutor. The lovely thing about this is that by the time we graduate, we have numerous salon hours on our records so can start work in a salon immediately.

Gillian when I start my beauty training in September, we will begin by practising on eachother and then start treatments on paying clients after a couple of months. The clients come to the college and pay reduced rates whilst the students are overseen by a tutor. The lovely thing about this is that by the time we graduate, we have numerous salon hours on our records so can start work in a salon immediately.

My daughter will be doing a similar thing.She will be classed as a fulltime student although she is only there 3 days a week in first year and 4 in second,so ideally she will get a job as well.
It would be ideal if she could get a job in a salon and it would have been great if she could have had an apprenticeship.
They have a college salon for outside clients but of course they don't get paid and she wont qualify for the weekly money from the government whatever it's called.

I think this is the same for most beauty training, it is for NVQ anyway.

We have modern apprenticships up here. Where the salon employs you for 4 days a week (a trainee wage) and a day in the college.

We have modern apprenticships up here. Where the salon employs you for 4 days a week (a trainee wage) and a day in the college.

So they do do it then.I dont think there is anwhere down here.Would that be NVQ.

Yes, nvq. The place is up here is called habit (it stands for something like hair and beauty industry training!!!) I will have to check to see if its still being done.

Latest posts

Back