Approved re accredited

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedia

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a quickie. Can anyone explain the difference between approved and accredited training? Is it better to go with accredited, i.e. for insurance, status etc.

Many thanks

If it's approved by a major insurance company such as The Guild or BABTAC, that would be just as good as being accredited.

Accredited is when courses are submitted for consideration and they have to pass certain criteria.

Approved is generally when a course or trainer is well respected and known for their high standards, so another insurance company would be happt to approve their courses. xxx

Joy, I don't understand what you mean by approved? what is that?

If you are going to teach therapies then it is best to go the accreditted route. It means that the course that you are teaching has been approved by an accredited and professional organisation. The student that attends your course may be insured by one of 10 main insurance companies, such as guild, FHT, BABTAC, ABT, and if the course has been approved by one of the main associations, hopefully, the other companies will recognise this.

Are you going into training now?

If you are going to teach therapies then it is best to go the accreditted route. It means that the course that you are teaching has been approved by an accredited and professional organisation. The student that attends your course may be insured by one of 10 main insurance companies, such as guild, FHT, BABTAC, ABT, and if the course has been approved by one of the main associations, hopefully, the other companies will recognise this.

Are you going into training now?

That's just what 'Approved' means Hippy Chick. It's when a course is accredited by one insurance company but other insurers recognise it for insurance purposes.

so, approved means that is has gone through accrediation with a recognised association, and that due to that, it is approved by other associations.

Therefore, you have to be accredited regardless.

So their is your answer Joy, you will have to go through the accreditation route with someone regardless.

Let me explain. So Ann, you have your courses accredited by X Insurers. However, I am insured with Z insurers but want to go on one of your courses. Because you are well known and respected in the holistic field, Z may say that your courses are approved by them for insurance.

Let me explain. So Ann, you have your courses accredited by X Insurers. However, I am insured with Z insurers but want to go on one of your courses. Because you are well known and respected in the holistic field, Z may say that your courses are approved by them for insurance.

See I disagree with that comment. Its because your course has been approved by X insureers that Z insurers consider accepting your course. Nothing to do with you being well known. Its because Z have witnessed that you have gone the correct route and already gone through accreditation.

Yes I see what you mean but not all accredited courses are accepted by other insurance companies. I know this for a fact.

Sorry, I've gone off track slightly here. An accredited course is best.

No, I agree with you Kim, its not a given that because you have a course that is accredited with a certain association that ALL insurance companies will accept it.

its a complicated field and think that it has been explained thoroughly in this thread.

Oh dear! I fear I have opened a can of worms.

My understanding was that accredited training was via an awarding body e.g. if I went to college to study say Hairdressing or whatever and got an NVQ then that would be accredited, as it would be at national standards i.e. habia. If I did say a one day massage course or whatever then that may be approved, depending on the trainer, but not accredited. Have I got this wrong then?

It seems to me that these two terms are quite often used interchangeably, as though they mean the same thing. When in fact, unless i've got it wrong in my head (lol) there are actually distinct differences.

Oh dear! I fear I have opened a can of worms.

My understanding was that accredited training was via an awarding body e.g. if I went to college to study say Hairdressing or whatever and got an NVQ then that would be accredited, as it would be at national standards i.e. habia. If I did say a one day massage course or whatever then that may be approved, depending on the trainer, but not accredited. Have I got this wrong then?

It seems to me that these two terms are quite often used interchangeably, as though they mean the same thing. When in fact, unless i've got it wrong in my head (lol) there are actually distinct differences.

Yes you have got it wrong but is can be difficult to understand (for us all).

An accredited course can be any duration......1 Day.....1 Year......whatever. To have a course accredited, the course details have to be assessed and it has to be paid for (not cheap).

If you are thinking of attending a course, make sure it is accredited. Then check with your insurers that they will accept that course for 'Approval' under their cover.

Got it now? LOL xxx

Thanks for that Kim. I think i've nearly got it!

So, say for argument i did an NVQ in Beauty Therapy at my local college, then that would be accredited obviously, according to national standards. If say, I did an eyelash tinting course with either a private college or a therapist who offered training, then that may also be accredited, if they had paid to have it so.

So courses can be accredited by bodies such as VTCT, in accordance with habia standards; or they can be accredited by The Guild or BABTAC? This is the bit where I was getting confused - I thought The Guild etc could only approve courses, but didn't the ability to actually accredit them.

God I'm getting a bit anal for a saturday night - apologies ladies! xx

So, say for argument i did an NVQ in Beauty Therapy at my local college, then that would be accredited obviously, according to national standards. If say, I did an eyelash tinting course with either a private college or a therapist who offered training, then that may also be accredited, if they had paid to have it so.

Yes...but you must check. Simply ask them. For example, I paid out hundreds to have my courses accredited. However, I haven't got round to actually putting the logo on anything or formerly saying 'These courses are accredited........'

So just to clarify. Don't presume that a course is accredited. Ask.

Habia for example don't accredit courses....they endorse them. Don't even do there. LOL

So courses can be accredited by bodies such as VTCT, in accordance with habia standards; or they can be accredited by The Guild or BABTAC? This is the bit where I was getting confused - I thought The Guild etc could only approve courses, but didn't the ability to actually accredit them.

No, the Guild do accredit courses.

xx

xxxxx

Not only check with the person that you are training with, ALSO check with your insurance company too.

Latest posts

Back