Aquariums and Pumps....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
Hiya

Right, we bought an Aquarium the other day... Dave put it together... I cam down to half a Goldfish (type thing, not a Goldfish exactly)... he worked out why. He hadn't put it together properly.

Today, after us thinking all was well. I find another fish being 'sucked' into pump, however, it was just dead... so that is why.

Now, do Goldfish type things (excuse my ignorance) live happily in tanks with lights on?

I've got a big boggly eyed black fish too. They are coldwater fish.

And can you feed them on Tropical fish flakes?

I can't believe how much there is to owning Goldfish.. I am disgusted that they are just given away in bags at fairs!

And Cadence really isn't all that interested in them whatsoever!

I go away for one week and come back to find you have more additions to the family.

LOL

Not sure about the fish hun but i'll look forward to meeting them! LMAO

I go away for one week and come back to find you have more additions to the family.

LOL

Not sure about the fish hun but i'll look forward to meeting them! LMAO

:lol:

The house will be spotless when you get here.... but I doubt there's gonna be any fish left :eek:

It's really upsetting finding dead ones...

Ok, you need to feed them flakes for cold water - not tropical, and only about 2 flakes per day per fish, don't overfeed them, it's the easiest way to kill them.

Apart, that is, from not getting rid of the chlorine/chloramines that are in the water before you put them in it - did you use somethig to remove this before you put the fish in the tank?

Without seeing the pump/filter it's difficult to advise you - any pics?

Be aware that goldfish are meant to grow very big and small tanks just hinder their growth, bowls are most definately not the thing to put a goldfish in.

Are fairs still giving goldfish as prizes? I thought this was banned!

Also, give them a plant (from the fish/pet shop) and an ornament of some type to hide in to make them feel secure.

Another also, regular water changes are necessary to get rid of any ammonia build up - this will kill the fish. If you think of your fish swimming around in it's own poo and wee it's usually enough to make you change the water regularly - don't change more than 50% at a time as this will stress the fish.

Any more questions - give me a shout!

Jackie
x

omg it must be a fish thing as both my daughters fish were killed by the filter this week, she now wants turtles.

goldfish are happy with the light on for a few hours a day

we have a 9ft marine tank in the kitchen that hubby is just seting up and a marine take in the lounge, they have allsorts in, anenomies, crabs star fish etc, there very pritty

Ok, you need to feed them flakes for cold water - not tropical, and only about 2 flakes per day per fish, don't overfeed them, it's the easiest way to kill them.

Apart, that is, from not getting rid of the chlorine/chloramines that are in the water before you put them in it - did you use somethig to remove this before you put the fish in the tank?

Without seeing the pump/filter it's difficult to advise you - any pics?

Be aware that goldfish are meant to grow very big and small tanks just hinder their growth, bowls are most definately not the thing to put a goldfish in.

Are fairs still giving goldfish as prizes? I thought this was banned!

Also, give them a plant (from the fish/pet shop) and an ornament of some type to hide in to make them feel secure.

Another also, regular water changes are necessary to get rid of any ammonia build up - this will kill the fish. If you think of your fish swimming around in it's own poo and wee it's usually enough to make you change the water regularly - don't change more than 50% at a time as this will stress the fish.

Any more questions - give me a shout!

Jackie
x

:eek::eek:

2 flakes a day.... oh no... we were shaking a fair bit in...

They have a Cactus and a good size rock with two holes in...

Dave put some solution in the Water beforehand... we filled it up with Tap water and he measured the temperature with a thermometer... then we put the bags with the fish in... inside the tank water.. to get them used to it... then after a while we let them go.

After the fish had died, I changed all the water to new water... I had no idea about the 50% - I just wanted to get rid of the fishy smell and make the water clear.

I am going to buy a book. The three of them left seem OK. They are fantails... one a black one and bigger than the others with eyes on each side of its head... huge bulbous eyes that stick out.. not like the other fish at all.

Thanks for the advice.. the next thing would have been them dying from over feeding!

I have nothing to add except I love those big googlie eyed fantail gold fish:eek::eek:.....they look like my little pug! ...I would so love another tank..... we moved so we had to get rid of our last one ( it was a 250 gallon salt water ) I just can't seem to talk hubby into it again ......:cry:

I would only do a 25% water change at the maximum. Any more than this and you're risking losing the good bacteria that has built up in your tank essential for the break down of amonia. If your unsure you can buy testing kits from your local shop.

Actually, Debbie is right, no more than 25% water change once you have your good bacteria built up - didn't want to get too technical at the begining but what the heck!

What a lot of new fishkeepers don't realise is that you shouldn't put your fish straight in a new tank, it needs to be 'cycled' (The Nitrogen Cycle) which in easy terms means the good bacteria has a chance to build up in the tank and filter and therefore has a chance to convert Ammonia to less harmful Nitrogen compounds.... at least this is what you do with Tropical Fish so I would imagine it would be the same for Coldwater fish.

If you change too much water in one go you risk losing all the good bacteria as Debbie mentioned. Also, before I forget, don't wash your filter in tap water - always wash it in tank water you have just removed when doing a water change - again, this is because the chlorine in the tap water will kill off your good bacteria.

I could go on and on about cycling your fish tank but I won't, you'd fall asleep.

How many fish do you have left? And did you get them from a fair or a fish/pet shop? You did right with acclimatising the fish to the new tank, ie., float bag in water to adjust to temperature and then slowly add a little tank water to the bag every 5 minutes or so to help them adjust to the different water type. Never let any water from the bag into your own healthy tank - you just don't know what was in the water from wherever you got your fish.

And yes, just a couple of flakes a day for each fish, you can increase it a little once it gets bigger, a lot of people 'fast' their fish for one day a week - I do the odd Sunday, just to make sure they're not getting overfed.

BTW - I want pics of your little fishies!!!

Jackie
x

Actually, Debbie is right, no more than 25% water change once you have your good bacteria built up - didn't want to get too technical at the begining but what the heck!

What a lot of new fishkeepers don't realise is that you shouldn't put your fish straight in a new tank, it needs to be 'cycled' (The Nitrogen Cycle) which in easy terms means the good bacteria has a chance to build up in the tank and filter and therefore has a chance to convert Ammonia to less harmful Nitrogen compounds.... at least this is what you do with Tropical Fish so I would imagine it would be the same for Coldwater fish.

If you change too much water in one go you risk losing all the good bacteria as Debbie mentioned. Also, before I forget, don't wash your filter in tap water - always wash it in tank water you have just removed when doing a water change - again, this is because the chlorine in the tap water will kill off your good bacteria.

I could go on and on about cycling your fish tank but I won't, you'd fall asleep.

How many fish do you have left? And did you get them from a fair or a fish/pet shop? You did right with acclimatising the fish to the new tank, ie., float bag in water to adjust to temperature and then slowly add a little tank water to the bag every 5 minutes or so to help them adjust to the different water type. Never let any water from the bag into your own healthy tank - you just don't know what was in the water from wherever you got your fish.

And yes, just a couple of flakes a day for each fish, you can increase it a little once it gets bigger, a lot of people 'fast' their fish for one day a week - I do the odd Sunday, just to make sure they're not getting overfed.

BTW - I want pics of your little fishies!!!

Jackie
x

Hiya

I have just checked and have three fish still alive! Yayyyy... each time I come down I am reluctant to look at them!

What was stupid, was when we went back to Water World (large Fish centre/Garden Centre) to take the dead fish back.... we were given replacement fish and a slip we had to sign.... which told us about acclimatising Fish... what happens if they're sick.. how they will use their own vets if necessary etc etc... why couldn't they have given us this information in the beginning?!!

We bought them from Water World as it has a good reputation - I think you only have to be served by one member of staff who couldn't care less.. and it puts you off. I also tipped the Water from their original tank, into out tank which was just tap water with some water cleaner in!

I will post piccies tonight, I've got good Faith these 3 are going to make it!

The tank wont be cleaned now for a fortnight.. it says that in a leaflet I got from the manufacturer!

Thanks Jackie :hug:

Latest posts

Back