Are some nails unsuitable for Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happysez

Reaction score
Hi.

I had my first client who had just tried out Shellac on her nails. She still had it on her toes but had gone back to the salon to have it taken off her finger nails before coming on holiday to Ibiza.
Her nails were not great, they were peeling and quite thin. I asked her if she had picked it off and that is when she said she had not but had gone back to the salon. She said that they were not bad before the Shellac had been put on.
Now, I was thinking of buying some Shellac but havent got round to it as I live in Ibiza but this has put me off a bit. Can anyone who has been using it or had it on let me know if they have come across anything like this please?
I use Salon Geek a lot as living in Spain you feel a bit out of touch.

Many thanks in advance :lol:

Hi Hun,
I am using Shellac and have done since the launch date..... I have never had a problem, but they are going to be people who just wont be suitable, it does happen.
But as you didn't apply the Shellac you wont know if a.) it was applied correctly b.) she used the right lamp or c.)prepared the nail properly prior application.

So we don't really know what happed and why...... you know the best way to judge a product is to see it in action.... when you come back to the UK find someone that does Shellac, better still... I see that your Location is Spain/London, I am in London near St. Paul's Cathedral come and visit me at work and see for yourself. We can have a cuppa as well xxx

Last edited:
Do you know, I almost at my wits end and about to loose my cool completely with posts asking questions like this. Does Shellac ruin nails?? Does shellac make nails peel?? Does Shellac make nails thin? It really is getting quite silly.

FIVE years in the research testing and creation of Shellac and do you honestly think, using even a bit of common sense, that this fantastic product would have ever been released if those things were even a remote possibility?? We are talking CND here the finest most researched products in the world.

Would thousands upon thousands of us that have been using Shellac without any adverse effects for more than 6 months not be shouting from the roof tops if there was a remote possibility we were seeing deliterious effects from this amazing colour coat?? What can you be thinking and why would you think it?? Shellac is 3 free and hypoallergenic and a safe as houses and you listen to a client??

What do we say, what do we KNOW when a client comes from another salon and tells us that enhancements ruined her nails??? We say it is a bad tech or a bad client or bad removal ... not the product. We know it is true. Shellac is a colour coat that requires NO prep of the natural nail .. it is a hybrid mixture of colour and gel ... we use both of these products in the salon every day ... PLEASE tell me why you would let a client you do not know influence even one hair on your head??

Rant over. You come and let me Shellac your nails and maybe you'll see what all the fantastic raving about this product is all about. In fact if anyone has any doubt in their mind then try it yourself instead of listening to clients who take no responsibility for the things THEY do to their nails and prefer to blame the tech or the product.

Why not learn about the science behind Shellac ... how it releases completely from the nail plate leaving the surface exactly as it was before applying the product. My nails have in fact never been healthier or looked better since using Shellac. There are other articles and tutorials on the forums as well. Read up on it, learn about it.

http://www.salongeek.com/training/1...cool-understand-know-how-use.html#post1062769

Last edited:
Like I said, she is the first person I have come across who has had it done and her nails were not great. She didn't blame anyone.
I am looking for advice, not for someone to rant at a question I have asked. it almost makes you not want to ask anything when you get a reaction like that.
Shellac is the best and thats that then? It is the fault of the nail tec or the client for having bad nails?
I don't work in a salon environment so I don't have other like minded people to ask. I am looking for advice that is it.

Look, all I'm am asking is that you read my post and use your head and our common sense. Why not do a search and look at what everyone hundreds and hundreds of people are saying. I wasnt ranting at you personally and you know it .. I made myself quite clear. Questions like yours puts everyone on the defensive - of course they do - it is not needed and if you won't listen to the defense and read the information then what is anyone supposed to say?

This client either removed the product herself incorrectly and is not admitting it, or her nails were trashed before she wore it. Shellac does not do any harm to anyones nails anymore than polish or gel, l&P or any other nail product ruins nails.

Hi Hun,
I am using Shellac and have done since the launch date..... I have never had a problem, but they are going to be people who just wont be suitable, it does happen.
But as you didn't apply the Shellac you wont know if a.) it was applied correctly b.) she used the right lamp or c.)prepared the nail properly prior application.

So we don't really know what happed and why...... you know the best way to judge a product is to see it in action.... when you come back to the UK find someone that does Shellac, better still... I see that your Location is Spain/London, I am in London near St. Paul's Cathedral come and visit me at work and see for yourself. We can have a cuppa as well xxx

Thanks for your helpful advice.

I would love to take you up on your offer when I get back to London. Try before you buy is going to be my only option by the looks of things.:lol:

This client either removed the product herself incorrectly and is not admitting it, or her nails were trashed before she wore it. Shellac does not do any harm to anyones nails anymore than polish or gel, l&P or any other nail product ruins nails.
This is all I wanted to know.
I have been lazy for not doing a search and this is what I am going to do right now. I do wonder what the response would have been if it was any other product but Shellac I was asking about???

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all I wanted to know.
I have been lazy for not doing a search and this is what I am going to do right now. I do wonder what the response would have been if it was any other product but Shella I was asking about???

I would not have made a respose about another product ... but if I had done, to the same query, I would have said exactly the same thing about nail damage. As far as I am aware there is not a branded nail product in the world that causes damage to natural nails. I hope that satisfies you that I HAVE NO DEEP DARK MOTIVATION FOR MY QUITE CLEAR, I THOUGHT, ANSWER. And I would ask that you do not take cheap shots at my integrity. I do not have the reputation I have after 27 years in the industry by being underhand or telling lies .. and I'm proud of that. I'm sorry you feel you have to question it.

Last edited:
Huni,
my offer stands..... visit me and see for yourself, hey I do yours and you do mine .... hows that?????
Well I am sure the response would have been the same if you had asked about any newly hatched product..... it's brand spanking new and has been almost written to death here.... lol...but you are right, why should you just take written credibility as gospel, try it and then see how you like it.....but I can pomise you, you wont be dissapointed xxx and cuppa and then we can talk Shellac to death xxxx

Hi.

I had my first client who had just tried out Shellac on her nails. She still had it on her toes but had gone back to the salon to have it taken off her finger nails before coming on holiday to Ibiza.
Her nails were not great, they were peeling and quite thin. I asked her if she had picked it off and that is when she said she had not but had gone back to the salon. She said that they were not bad before the Shellac had been put on.
Now, I was thinking of buying some Shellac but havent got round to it as I live in Ibiza but this has put me off a bit. Can anyone who has been using it or had it on let me know if they have come across anything like this please?
I use Salon Geek a lot as living in Spain you feel a bit out of touch.

Many thanks in advance :lol:

Hi There,

Shellac is am amazing product, and will not damage the nail at all if applied and taken off correctly. I wallaped my thumb really hard the other day and split the top of the nail, temptation made me pull of the shellac and it took some of the top layer of my nail plate off, this was because I peeled it off , which is a NO NO!! If your ladies nails were in a bad AFTER Shellac, you can put money on that she peeled them off, but can't admit it, I know that sounds harsh, but some clients won't admit they are the ones that have done the damage - why blame yourself when you can blame someone else?

I could see this was an amazing product before I did the course, we've all been waiting on this for a long time, and it works well - give it a try - you will LOVE it!

I feel for Gigi.

She has spent lots of time on here explaining the product and the science. But yet we are still constantly getting people asking why Shellac doesn't do this and if Shellac would do that.

It is frustrating that many people are questioning a product which is:
A) From one of the top nail companies in the world
B) Have been in research for 5 years.

I have been using Shellac and I have not had any problems with it at all. If Shellac has some of the problems mentioned on here, then why am I not experiencing them AT ALL...???!!

The problems we seem to be asking about are problems which are caused by the clients natural nail condition or by the skills of tech. Which, effectively, is NOT a Shellac problem, but a client or tech problem.

Shellac DOES NOT peel. Yes, it may chip maybe if you are too rough with your hands, but it does not peel. Unlike coloured gels, Shellac is actually not rubbery enough to peel. If you have a client whose Shellac is 'peeling', you may find that 9 out of 10 times, it's the client's nails that are peeling and the shellac coming off with it. Shellac is a hybrid polish, it will NOT stop your client's nails from peeling. If the client needs help with peeling nails, then an enhancement is what she needs.

Shellac goes on like polish - EXACTLY like polish. So if the tech who did your Shellac has not got good skills in polishing/painting, then you may get a service breakdown and your Shellac may not last.

Everyone thinks that if you are a nail tech then you have the skills to paint. This is not true because if it is, then there wouldn't be constantly threads on here asking how to paint a french etc etc...

If you are having problems with your clients and it isn't caused by the condition of their natural nails, then maybe look into your own skills. Maybe the problems are caused by your own workmanship and not the actual product..?

Shellac is a polish with a little extra. It is NOT an enhancement where you can totally change the nail in respect of shape and strength so stop expecting it to perform like an enhancement.

You can be sure to maximise the benefits of Shellac if your painting skills is tops and your clients have reasonable healthy nails.
If your clients nails are not in a good enough condition, then we - as nail techs - should be advising other alternatives.

We should not be asking if our clients are suitable for Shellac. We should be the ones DECIDING if our clients are suitable for Shellac.

Last edited:
Well said Flower x

Latest posts

Back