Are we totally discreet about our clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I well recall a long standing and respected geek here stating in a post that she never ever divulges any information about her clients to other people, not even therapists. This includes not even mentioning to a spouse that their other half had visited earlier for a treatment. This is so important and I agree wholeheartedly with this.

There are therapists here on Salon Geek who are therapists to celebrities but I could not for one minute tell you whom their celebrity clients are. The simple reason being that clients (celebrity or not, famous or infamous) details should always remain confidential and that includes not even hinting as to where or how these clients are celebs.

This site is international with not only named users but also visitors just having a browse or a search. Sometimes what you post also comes up in a google search simply because of your user name or a words/phrases you have used.

The point I am trying to make is that what you post is viewed by thousands of people from around the world and whilst perhaps not mentioning names, it may not be difficult to work out whom one is referring to or hinting at.

Often, peeps post about problematic clients. I am sure that at some time we have each experience an awkward situation or client and whilst it is fine to ask for advise, please think carefully before posting as one never knows if the client you are posting about or a friend of a friend is not reading what you have just posted about them.

Just something to think about.

I well recall a long standing and respected geek here stating in a post that she never ever divulges any information about her clients to other people, not even therapists. This includes not even mentioning to a spouse that their other half had visited earlier for a treatment. This is so important and I agree wholeheartedly with this.
That was me! You've got a great memory.

Also, if I refer to something that a client has said or done because it's funny or interesting, I always say 'I'll call him John or I'll call her Sue'. I also throw in a couple of bits of misinformation so they can't put two and two together and realise who it is. It's a small world. x

I remember this actually happening on here once and the client finding it during a google search, the client actually commented on the thread.
It wasn't a very nice thing to have happen.
Clients can very very easily find things on here accidentally, so its definitely worth thinking about!

That was me! You've got a great memory.

Also, if I refer to something that a client has said or done because it's funny or interesting, I always say 'I'll call him John or I'll call her Sue'. I also throw in a couple of bits of misinformation so they can't put two and two together and realise who it is. It's a small world. x

Lol, yes it was you and I have never forgotten what you said. Whilst this was all important regarding patient confidentiality when I was nursing, this should be the same for our clients.

With hindsight I think I have written things on here that if a client read, they may recognise themselves, but no-one else would!
I have become more cautious.

I have read several posts that hint at what celebrity has been treated, or that the clients are multi millionaires, but am always confused as to the difference that celebrity status or money make - a funny story is a funny story, and a pain of a client is just a pain!

My clients get the same treatment regardless.

Vicki x

I agree with you on client confidentiality. Since finding salongeek I have found it to be an invaluable source of information among professionals, especially in a situation where you can look for advice without turning to someone you as they are more likely to know who you are talking about. But on a daily basis treatments, pictures and stories are shared which of course any client can relate to if they happen upon it! I recall very recently somebody posted for advice on waxing a male client, and just from saying what areas he had waxed another geek knew who she was talking about. Some geeks use their real names, business names and pictures of themselves so any of their clients could potentially find something written about them even if it was done discreetly! Looking at the whole point of this forum, what would it be if we couldn't talk about clients, treatments and experiences (without naming names of course) ?

Honestly, honesty is best policy. If I can't say it to my client's face I will not put it online. Not always received the best but clients do eventually appreciate honesty

I agree with you on client confidentiality. Since finding salongeek I have found it to be an invaluable source of information among professionals, especially in a situation where you can look for advice without turning to someone you as they are more likely to know who you are talking about. But on a daily basis treatments, pictures and stories are shared which of course any client can relate to if they happen upon it! I recall very recently somebody posted for advice on waxing a male client, and just from saying what areas he had waxed another geek knew who she was talking about. Some geeks use their real names, business names and pictures of themselves so any of their clients could potentially find something written about them even if it was done discreetly! Looking at the whole point of this forum, what would it be if we couldn't talk about clients, treatments and experiences (without naming names of course) ?
Which is why it is even more important not to mention names or even hint at TV shows.

This forum is not to discuss clients especially if even hinting at names or shows. Not on!

Last edited:

There are therapists here on Salon Geek who are therapists to celebrities but I could not for one minute tell you whom their celebrity clients are. The simple reason being that clients (celebrity or not, famous or infamous) details should always remain confidential and that includes not even hinting as to where or how these clients are celebs.

This site is international with not only named users but also visitors just having a browse or a search. Sometimes what you post also comes up in a google search simply because of your user name or a words/phrases you have used.

The point I am trying to make is that what you post is viewed by thousands of people from around the world and whilst perhaps not mentioning names, it may not be difficult to work out whom one is referring to or hinting at.

Often, peeps post about problematic clients. I am sure that at some time we have each experience an awkward situation or client and whilst it is fine to ask for advise, please think carefully before posting as one never knows if the client you are posting about or a friend of a friend is not reading what you have just posted about them.

Just something to think about.

There are some that have celebrity endorsement for their treatments and products. This I believe should be the only time that specific details are disclosed as it is a prior business agreement. I personally do not disclose details of anybody that I treat or have treated no matter whether they are considered high profile in the public eye or not. If I feel that an experience I have had or can offer advice on will help someone else's situation then I ensure that I change facts significantly or use a hypothetical situation.
I will also not use images of my clients without their prior written consent to promote my services, for my portfolio, website, social media etc..etc..

This thread is useful to remind us all to be professional, discreet and perhaps be mindful of how we respond to threads on here. I don't use my name within my profile but it is very easy to find out who I am. I joined this site to offer advice and also to network amongst other professionals and gain knowledge from my peers and those more experienced, of different specialities etc.. I remain constant and the response you get from me on here is the same that you would get no matter the situation. I am vocal and I am passionate about what I do and the support of others who choose to work hard and take a similar approach to this career.

I don't care if they're a prince or pauper...........they all get treated the same by me and I would no more discuss Mrs Jone's husbands affair than I would David Beckham's golden balls. They all deserve the same respect and privacy.

I don't care if they're a prince or pauper...........they all get treated the same by me and I would no more discuss Mrs Jone's husbands affair than I would David Beckham's golden balls. They all deserve the same respect and privacy.

Are they really golden? :D

I do agree with the google seach thing. Sometimes when I do a search on here I cant find the answer so I google it including the key word salon geek and lots more answers come up...so as a client it would be very easy to find information about yourself if it was on here.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I remember a geek talking about a married man she was sleeping with. It took me 1 google search and I was 90% certain who it was. Post was quickly deleted when I messaged her. Cetainly made me more discreet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is why we need to stay professional, it's easy to get lulled into a false sense of community and security. At the end of the day, this is a public forum.
I understand what people are saying about google searches and clients but most geeks see a great deal of clients and I feel that as long as you don't speak about specifics situations, remain professional, never get personal and try to use hypothetical situations to get your point across wherever possible, then if someone reads something you have written and chooses to make it about them (and you will always meet people like that!) then I am inclined to think well that's their choice to make it about them!

Before I got my teeth into the industry properly, I used to gossip a lot, but over the past couple of months I realised nothing at all is sacred. Anything you say, can and would be used against you even if totally innocent.
I don't discuss clients with other clients, if I'm asked about things I literally say "yes" or "no" to whether I do somebodies nails but that is all I disclose, I don't discuss their future appointments, previous ones or what we discuss when I do see them :) most of the time I do try to avoid even answering who my clients are in case the person asking has a hidden agenda! I'm so suspicious! Haha

I never tell my clients who my other clients are. It's top secret!

Although I may reveal a bit of info like "one of my client's has seen that show and said it was really good". All innocent chit chat.

YES! Client data protection is the most important thing EVER. My first ever job was working in a call centre so everyone was hot on DPA, we could not speak to anyone unless they had confirmed their name, address, dob & vehicle reg & could only speak to them with regards to their concerns, not a relation/friend/neighbour. I'd be furious if my information had leaked, whether it be that I'd been in for a manicure that morning or my bank details

Discussing clients with other clients...definitely a big no from me <3

Feel free to discuss my golden ones tehehe

Well I'm sorry I have to disagree with you all, if George Clooney ever comes to me for a massage and get all touchy feely :Grope: I'm not just telling all of you I'll be standing on my roof shouting through a megaphone!

:wink2::wink2:

Latest posts

Back