Are you breaking the law on Facebook?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
Part of my job means I have to roam across FB looking at people's pages, and I must admit I often wince when I see people using illegal/copywritten images on a business page.

We've all shared viral images on our personal page I'm sure, there's little consequence in reality (though it's still illegal).

But would you be willing to risk your business on it?

Using images from other pages, off Google images or just generally off the web is illegal unless you've created it (from scratch) yourself, or have paid for a license.

http://www.elizabethpottsweinstein.com/share-photo/

I'm wondering how you know they are using them illegally? Do they still have the watermarks on them? Most of the ones I've come across people google them and use watermarked images. Right away this flags me because they obviously haven't paid for them :p

I use all kinds of images on my Facebook page but they are all paid for stock images which I get for dirt cheap.

Well- you're right, the only pic/graphics/images you can use are ones that you've taken/made yourself, or you hold a license for.

You simply can't use anything else, watermark or not (I hear that a lot actually, people getting images of Google Images and thinking they can use it because it's not got a watermark on- it's nonsense)

Seems like scaremongery, but there's tracking software (and I know because I've used it myself to trace people illegally using my logos!) that will hunt down illegal images.

People on this very site have been sued by the likes of Getty images for using illegal images, leaving them with bills in the hundreds of pounds.

Thinking "oh, I'm just a small one-man/woman band on Facebook" doesn't matter. They've a multimillion pound grossing industry to protect.

I'm wondering how you know they are using them illegally? Do they still have the watermarks on them? Most of the ones I've come across people google them and use watermarked images. Right away this flags me because they obviously haven't paid for them :p

I use all kinds of images on my Facebook page but they are all paid for stock images which I get for dirt cheap.

I think I missed your question there. I know a lot of them are using them illegally because they're images (just for example) of Disney films (Frozen seems pretty popular!) or indeed images that I'VE created and they've not paid for :)

It's safe to say that Disney are slightly more litigious than me mind you!

I'm guilty of this! I didn't actually realise it was illegal. I thought once an image was publicly posted online then that was it. Now granted I don't really take other peoples work and pretend its mine but if I want to promote a spray tan I'll google spray tan and find a photo from a photo shoot of someone on the beach or a branded photoshoot (crazy angel) and use one of those images. Or for a mani/pedi combo offer I'll google polish on fingers and toes and find one of those fancy photoshoot ones with feet and hands on top with both sets of nail painted. I guess I should stop before I get sued!

That's one of the perks of using the likes of Decleor, Jessica and CACI, they all supply their account holders with images for such use!

I'm guilty of this! I didn't actually realise it was illegal. I thought once an image was publicly posted online then that was it. Now granted I don't really take other peoples work and pretend its mine but if I want to promote a spray tan I'll google spray tan and find a photo from a photo shoot of someone on the beach or a branded photoshoot (crazy angel) and use one of those images. Or for a mani/pedi combo offer I'll google polish on fingers and toes and find one of those fancy photoshoot ones with feet and hands on top with both sets of nail painted. I guess I should stop before I get sued!

Yep- you can't do that I'm afraid! Someone, somewhere created that image and owns the copyright!

Just Google "the getty letter" and you'll never do it again- trust me :)

So where would you recommend getting photos from? I don't know any of the usual websites! When you do purchase a license for a photo in what form does the license come? An email etc? Is that how you prove you've paid for it?

I usually get my images from dreamstime.com . They do have a selection of royalty free images, but you have to pay for the good ones. I always search for the small images or ones that have just been posted and have no sales as they are cheaper.
Sometimes it's better value to buy credits and download a bunch of images. You get a e-mail order/receipt confirmation that would act as proof of purchase.

So where would you recommend getting photos from? I don't know any of the usual websites! When you do purchase a license for a photo in what form does the license come? An email etc? Is that how you prove you've paid for it?

Your ONLY choices are:

1. Use a graphic designer who you trust (some designers will actually use *dodgy* images from file sharing sites to keep costs down- make sure you ask!)

2. Take photos yourself!

3. Ask your suppliers for images you can use (and keep any emails/letters that say you have permission.)

4. As Hazel (above) says you can purchase the images from the likes of Getty, Istock, Dreamstime etc. But even in that case, please read the T+C's you can't always use the photos however you like once you've bought them, lots of people end up using them in ways which are prohibited.

You CANNOT

1. Share images with other people (for example if you purchase an image you can't give it to someone else to use, they're often what's called "single seat". So, when a client gives us a photo to use. We have to delete it, we can't reuse it.

2. Take images directly off the web.

3. Take images off Facebook/social media

It's a minefield, but that's why people like me are professionals when we have to deal with stuff like this :)

Latest posts

Back