Argghhhh bent nails!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soz

Reaction score
Hi guys

Havn't been on the site for ages and ages. Have been pregnant (now not pregnant due to having given birth to scrumptious baby boy Elliott 3 weeks ago!) and have had a torrid time. Went right off anything to do with nails - the smell of polish and the thought of nail files just made me retch so I put it on the backburners. Anyway one strange sympton of this pregnancy is that my nails have curved right over (severely hooked) and have become really crooked, sort of twisted. They've always been really soft and slightly curved but this is just hideous. Can anyone tell me if they'll go back to normal? About 2 months into the pregnancy I was diagnosed as having underactive thyroid - could this be anything to do with it?

hiya:D

not sure about the nails - pregnancy does strange things to the old bod.:eek:

just wanted to say congratulations:hug:

havent heard of this before but

BIG CONGRATS ON THE BIRTH OF ELLIOT

we want pics please

Soz said:
Hi guys
Havn't been on the site for ages and ages. Have been pregnant (now not pregnant due to having given birth to scrumptious baby boy Elliott 3 weeks ago!) and have had a torrid time. Went right off anything to do with nails - the smell of polish and the thought of nail files just made me retch so I put it on the backburners. Anyway one strange sympton of this pregnancy is that my nails have curved right over (severely hooked) and have become really crooked, sort of twisted. They've always been really soft and slightly curved but this is just hideous. Can anyone tell me if they'll go back to normal? About 2 months into the pregnancy I was diagnosed as having underactive thyroid - could this be anything to do with it?

Sorry, meant to answer this the other day!

Firstly, congratulations!

Pregnancy and nail growth is extremely unpredicatable... From what you have described (extreme hook nail) your body is over producing keratin cross links... I would hazard a guess you hair is growing fast and slightly curling.. ? It's a hormonal thing, so over time should go back to normal (I hope lol) Adding moisture can help. Try a water manicure for 20 minutes, they may well bounce up..! If that's the case, then load up on Solar oil and keep them short for a while!

It doesn't sound like the underactive thyroid is responsible.. But then again, thyroids can massively affect hormone stabilty and metabolism (and it is extremely common for it not to be working properly)

Hope that helps

Many congratulations on the birth of your little boy! :hug:

Latest posts

Back