Artichokes and Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evaperk

Reaction score
Does anyone (Geeg, the sweets etc) Know if there is anything in artichokes that would affect Shellac? This is the second time that I have had artichokes in the last couple of weeks and both times my shellac has lifted the next day.
I usually get a good 2 weeks out of it unless I forget to wear my gloves when removing client's.

Now that's what I call random!

Sorry for not being too helpful there but I do now have an image of you conducting some experiments involving artichokes and all manner of veggies with your Shellaced nails :lol:

I would really love for someone from CND/S2 to confirm the anti Shellac properties of Artichokes.

I know it sounds wierd but it's the only thing I can put it down to! There are some other things I eat that I wear gloves for like pomegranites that make your fingers brown but now it looks like I'll have to add artichokes to that list lol
Globe artichokes, boiled btw

I know it sounds wierd but it's the only thing I can put it down to! There are some other things I eat that I wear gloves for like pomegranites that make your fingers brown but now it looks like I'll have to add artichokes to that list lol
Globe artichokes, boiled btw

Was just looking at your post and assumed it was a globe artichoke. I can only assume the juices from the succulent leaves of the globe artichoke have transferred to your shellac. Artichokes have very strong antioxidant properties and are known for their cholesterol reducing effect and are often used in herbal remedies. One of the chemical is Cynarin and I am aware this is a chemical used in the plastics manufacture industry and therefore as shellac is a type of plastic polymer (very loose chemistry here!!) it may have an an effect.

We all know what to do now if we run out of Nourishing remover...keep an artichoke to hand xx

Maybe I will have a look into it and see if i can dig something up (excuse the pun) to answer your question better :0)

Was just looking at your post and assumed it was a globe artichoke. I can only assume the juices from the succulent leaves of the globe artichoke have transferred to your shellac. Artichokes have very strong antioxidant properties and are known for their cholesterol reducing effect and are often used in herbal remedies. One of the chemical is Cynarin and I am aware this is a chemical used in the plastics manufacture industry and therefore as shellac is a type of plastic polymer (very loose chemistry here!!) it may have an an effect.

We all know what to do now if we run out of Nourishing remover...keep an artichoke to hand xx

Maybe I will have a look into it and see if i can dig something up (excuse the pun) to answer your question better :0)
Thank you it's not just me being crazy then lol
The right hand that I used most is the worst.

Threads like this are why I love salongeek! Who knew?!

Admittedly, I’ve not tested this claim, but I find it to be pretty unlikely and have seen no evidence to suggest otherwise. Just because something seems to be true, doesn’t make it so. I wouldn’t accept a claim based on two occurrences, esp. when the claim is pretty unlikely. As Carl Sagan was famous for saying, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Also, it is VERY unlikely just because something is an antioxidant, that it would affect nail coating adhesion. Nail oils, lotions and many other cosmetics contain antioxidants and don’t cause lifting.

Looks like its experiment time! Can every geek please buy artichoke ! ;) x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I'm going to get one but what as I suppose to do with it? I've never cooked one before. Only ate!

Just boil them until the leaves pull off fairly easily, then each leaf off individually dip them in vinagrette and rake your teeth over the fat end to get the good stuff off, when you get to the middle the leaves get thin and prickly I throw these away then pull out the fluffy stuff which is quite prickly and eat the heart.

Just boil them until the leaves pull off fairly easily, then each leaf off individually dip them in vinagrette and rake your teeth over the fat end to get the good stuff off, when you get to the middle the leaves get thin and prickly I throw these away then pull out the fluffy stuff which is quite prickly and eat the heart.

Understood! :) thank you xxx

Now this is how I eat an artichoke!! Someone asked on fb how to and others commented about baking them and stuff but I gave your description and people thought I was mad!!!!! Glad I am not lol. Sorry off topic

Admittedly, I’ve not tested this claim, but I find it to be pretty unlikely and have seen no evidence to suggest otherwise. Just because something seems to be true, doesn’t make it so. I wouldn’t accept a claim based on two occurrences, esp. when the claim is pretty unlikely. As Carl Sagan was famous for saying, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Also, it is VERY unlikely just because something is an antioxidant, that it would affect nail coating adhesion. Nail oils, lotions and many other cosmetics contain antioxidants and don’t cause lifting.
Thank you Doug, I'm going to wear gloves in future just in case, although I think the season is nearly over lol

Latest posts

Back