Asthma and Acrylics what do you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamper yourself

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have my 3d nail art class next week and I started thinking what I'm going to do cuz of the smell of the monomer. This will be the first time I'm working with acrylics so I'm not sure what to expect.

If anyone is asthmatic and works with acrylics can you pls tell me how do you handle it and how do you avoid attacks? I've been having attacks daily at the moment and I'm a bit worried about what will happen.

Many thanks. :hug:

I'm the same way :(
I feel my lungs closing up when I smell the monomer.

I'd like some advice on this as well, because I can only do 3d art using 3d gel. I rather use l&p since it would be quicker to do :/

If you are sure it is the monomer that is causing you a problem and not dust then I think you need to avoid using L&P.

The only protection from vapours is a bulky expensive vapour mask (bit like a gas mask because that's what it is)

It may be dust that is the cause.

There are excellent L&P alternatives so you could still do nails

PS I think the gel devotees would disagree with gel taking longer!

Last edited:
I think again I wrote a confusing post. I work with gels but will be learning 3d acrylic nail art design applied on gels. Does that sound right? The attacks I'm getting at the moment are normal and not from the gel dust but from season change. Everyone I know who has asthma have all started at the same time.

Anyways, I have the intense course next week and need some hints on avoiding an attack while in a class with other students all working with monomers at the same time. I will have the same problem during my exam but will hopefully have learned how to work with minimal problems by then.

When working alone on one client there will be less vapours and ventalation should be less of a problem.

I think again I wrote a confusing post. I work with gels but will be learning 3d acrylic nail art design applied on gels. Does that sound right? The attacks I'm getting at the moment are normal and not from the gel dust but from season change. Everyone I know who has asthma have all started at the same time.

Anyways, I have the intense course next week and need some hints on avoiding an attack while in a class with other students all working with monomers at the same time. I will have the same problem during my exam but will hopefully have learned how to work with minimal problems by then.

When working alone on one client there will be less vapours and ventalation should be less of a problem.

If you haven't had a reaction to the monomer so far why do you think you will get one? I doubt more people working will make any difference. You always need good ventilation and dust control.

I am asthmatic and never have any problems with the monomer or dust unless I have a chest infection and then every little thing sets me off.I would suggest if you do start to have a problem with L&P that you use your blue inhaler prior to doing your clients nails and if taking the brown inhaler as well(preventative)that you use regularly (as directed by your GP)Also you could try wearing a mask though I find these make matters worse for me.As Mum said already good ventilation is a must.Hth

I have asthma and do acrylics,, the last few years my asthma has been really bad that I have had to take steriods I just make sure I have the windows open,,, the room is warm and not tooo hot that set's it off and make sure that my inhalers are to hand,,,,This year I haven't had no problems with my asthma (touch wood) but that may have something to do with that I have quit smoking last year. Some things just set it off and everyone is different give the acrylics a go and just see.

I have asthma and new to acrylics. I'm fine with the monomer. It's dust that tightens my chest, i put a cotten scarve around my face. Unsure what i'll do when i have clients, a face mask i think. Hopefully i'll be good enough to have little fileing, lol
By biggest problem is with nail polish and remover, i cant stop coughing and my chest gets really tight, i often have to use my pumps

I am asthmatic and never have any problems with the monomer or dust unless I have a chest infection and then every little thing sets me off.I would suggest if you do start to have a problem with L&P that you use your blue inhaler prior to doing your clients nails and if taking the brown inhaler as well(preventative)that you use regularly (as directed by your GP)Also you could try wearing a mask though I find these make matters worse for me.As Mum said already good ventilation is a must.Hth

Fena quote I have asthma and new to acrylics. I'm fine with the monomer. It's dust that tightens my chest, i put a cotten scarve around my face. Unsure what i'll do when i have clients, a face mask i think. Hopefully i'll be good enough to have little fileing, lol
By biggest problem is with nail polish and remover, i cant stop coughing and my chest gets really tight, i often have to use my pumps

Thank you ladies this is just what I've been looking for. Like Fena, polishes and remover cause me to cough, so since I read that acrylics have a strong smell I became worried. Babs thanks for the tip I will take both inhalers before I start working just to make sure I'm on the safe side.

Also Kezza good job on quitting the smokes. It could be the reason your asthma has improved especially since you are taking treatment. Open bronchals means breathing easy :green: The instructress like to keep the heater on so I hope the room won't be too warm.

Mum thanks for your replies and concerns. I hope this post explains why I was worried. I will make sure that ventilation (I spelt it right this time :lol ) will be sufficiant and I'm working on prefecting my gels for minimal filing, thank you. Even though infills and balance still create alot of dust ugh!:rolleyes: Also I think honeycure meant that 3d gels take longer not the whole process. I can't say personally cuz I still have to try both, that is 3d nail art with gel and 3d nail art with acrylics. This both being next week.

Again thank you to you all. I really appreciate the replies and help. :hug:

I jst usuall have a window or door open that help me but i can still always feel it on my chest after. What is l&p?

There are alot of products out there that are odorless; acrylic, gel, resin adhesive fiberglass/silk, or resin adhesive acrylic. Plenty of choices and they work just as well as l/p acrylic. Not sure if the file off gel would be helpful as there is a lot of dust with those, unless you get a vacuum system. There really is no need to deal with the odor and affects of asthma from doing regular l/p acrylics.

I jst usuall have a window or door open that help me but i can still always feel it on my chest after. from polish i get tightness and feel like there's vapours coming out of my lungs weird What is l&p? l&p is liquid and powder acrylic systems

Well I'll do as suggested and take my puffs before the class and hopefully like some of you ladies the monomer won't effect me.

Can anyone suggest a 3d gel that works like acrylic for flowers?

Latest posts

Back