At the end of my tether

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Keren

Creative Nail Studio
Reaction score
Okay so usually I'm the most upbeat optimistic person but today especially I'm really struggling to be.

I know that it is January and many salons are finding it hard (on the back of a triple dip recession too) but these past few months have really been a struggle and I can't work out what's going on.

I currently rent a space within a salon in an area where the next nearest salon is about 10 minutes away in a car. The salons in town (next nearest) all offer ridiculous prices for their treatments and I'm starting to wonder if that's what's affect business so much?! A little example...I offer shellac at £25 my regular client came to me for her soak off and said that there's a place in town offering genuine shellac for £12.50 and another for £15 and they have more colours than me. She's been a loyal client of mine for almost 2 years but I've now not seen her in weeks. Her mom also a loyal client of mine for l&p has not been back since before Christmas but she was a regular every 2 weeks.

I went with the mindset that I will charge my worth and I KNOW that my work is much better than theirs and my treatments last and are known for their quality. I even made sure I was offering excellent customer service to each client to try and retain them further but they just keep dropping off one by one every few months. In the past 6 months I've lost about 1 regular a month but then every now and then they pop in for a treatment.

I've made sure I have my name on all sites I could think of, I've mail shotted schools, pubs, bridal shops etc and I even did a 500 leaflet drop but have only had 49 views and one potential booking from it. Where the hell am I going wrong?

I love the salon that I work at but I've been told by many clients that they have left because the salon owner seems to close when she feels like it and has been a bit rude to some clients previously. I'm not saying that to slate her because I actually really do and I can get a bit defensive when people (not clients) mention derogatory things about her. But for example this morning the lady at the co op next door said to me "were you not open this morning? I went passed and the shop looked closed?" I said I was in there but I'm not allowed to open until 10:30 as that's her opening times. She said does that woman even make any money as she has stupid opening times and seems to close when she wants. I've spoken to her about opening earlier/later but she says if no one is booked in then it's a waste of money to her as it costs money for lights/heating etc so she closes.

I should mention that she will be closing in about 6 months to open her own home salon but wants me to come work with her. I said I'd do 1/2 days a week with her and do mobile the rest.

I've even tried emailing clients saying to them diplomatically that I hope they're okay and I haven't seen them in a while, giving them an update in services I offer and that I'll be offering mobile and not one reply.

What am I doing wrong? I can't keep going on like this but I'm stubborn and I LOVE my job. The really frustrating thing is that I know that I'm better than 95% of the other techs in my area, I know because people have told me and I have had treatments done with them myself so I can see. Is it my prices? Someone please help me because I don't want to give up but I'm not seeing a way for me to carry on with my career if it keeps going on like this.

It could be a mixture of a lot of things.
I would just mention though a 500 leaflet drop isn't really going to get results. I'd recommend a minimum of 2,000-3,000 in the same houses around once a month for 3 months. Then change area.

I just wanted to say keep your chin up, I think we all wish we was doing something else at some time or another. I know I certainly do!

I guess a lot depends on where you are and the competition. I've only been running my business for 6 months but I know I was very careful to look at competitors prices and price myself at a similar price. Too cheap and people would think I wasn't properly qualified and too expensive and people just wouldn't bother. Unfortunately a lot of people are watching what they spend and most people see beauty as a luxury therefore it's the first thing to go when making cut backs. Perhaps try offer a discount and see if the price drop brings anyone in?

valentines day is coming up soon why not put together a little promotion are you on Facebook? I feel for you i really do times can be tough there is are 2 sunbed shops 5mins up the road from me who offer shellac at £12.00 don't know if its genuine shellac or not as i have seen a few places advertise shellac and its gelish or similar but i refuse to lower my prices because i would be working for free
i hope it picks up for you, have you had a look for the thread "more ways to promote your business" lots of great advice there its worth a read *hugs*

Thanks for your replies guys. We decided to do 3 for 2 treatments the whole of this week and not ONE booking. I offered my gel polish at a discounted price which bought a few in but my regulars then weren't happy that I discounted it as they thought if I can afford to discount it then, then why not for them continually. So I decided not to do that again :-S

You have already mentioned the one fatal mistake and it's not anything you are doing!!

If the salon owner only opens when people are booked in, the business is doomed, plus all who trade within in.

You cant run a business with opening times all over the place, the law of average is, if a client tries to pop in twice and you're closed they will go elsewhere!

I personally wouldn't work in her home salon, you will lose more clients, I'd find somewhere more structured.

When I open my 1st salon, I bombed out all advertising, flyers drops few weeks before I opened and walked in everyday at 8.30am to make sure everything was on, inviting and ready to trade. Some days I sat and sat and only took 3 phone calls, but sat and sat until I cracked it - I moved on from that salon and now have bought this one a few months ago in a better area, I still had days where I sat and sat with only 1 client in, and now I've had the busiest January I've ever had, as has my beauty therapist

Good luck, I think you may have done thinking to do with regards to working with your salon owner x

Thanks for your replies guys. We decided to do 3 for 2 treatments the whole of this week and not ONE booking. I offered my gel polish at a discounted price which bought a few in but my regulars then weren't happy that I discounted it as they thought if I can afford to discount it then, then why not for them continually. So I decided not to do that again :-S

So what's wrong with being honest? Surely they understand that sometimes you have to promote yourself and try to attract new clients? As long as they are getting the discount too why would they be upset?

So what's wrong with being honest? Surely they understand that sometimes you have to promote yourself and try to attract new clients? As long as they are getting the discount too why would they be upset?

I was honest and explained exactly that but two of my clients said that's not fair and that if I can afford to offer a discounted price to attract new clients then I should be able to afford to offer them the discount permanently. I explained that it's not viable as I might make a short term 'loss' in attracting the new client but a potential long term client. I also stated that they ARE on a loyalty programme to already accumulate a discount as a reward. I haven't lost them and they seemed to accept that as an answer. I'm just feeling a little frustrated and perplexed to be honest. I know people are spending money on their beauty treatments as I've seen it, e.g my 20yr old niece text me asking about the ' flawless eyebrows' I do and said she was going to book in next week.. She didn't and I saw her 2 weeks after with them done. My nephew asked me about the eyelash extensions I do and said he wants to book his gf I'm for next week but never did and I see she's had them done. I just want to ask them "well why not me? I thought you were booking in with me? What does the other place have that I don't" but I obviously don't want to sound desperate and I don't want to make it awkward and feel like I've guilt tripped them into coming to me. I just don't understand.

I agree with KHS. You have to be consistent with opening times. Think about it from a customers perspective. If you fancied a treatment last minute, you wouldn't even be able to call or pop in to check availability. Frustrating for a customer. Is there any chance you could take over the salon? I don't know what your financial situation is like. It sounds like you have a great work ethic, but as KHS has said already, you need to be open and available to get clients.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I do understand, I've had this all winter. Lovely texts after they've been to me saying how pleased and will be back then not seen again. Handed cards out after being asked and no bookings. That's been a theme unfortunately.
Wonder if those clients go to sainsburys and ask why their coffee is cheap this week only as surely they can afford to discount it every week lol.
With family, it's hard because they often expect free treatments or they don't like to take up your time when you could have paying clients in. Who knows? But you should ask them and explain that you just need to learn what made them make the choice they did.

We used to say there's room for everyone. I subscribe to this point of view no longer.
The market is saturated with salons at all levels of professionalism and quality.
The laws of supply and demand are major factors. Simply put:

If supply is greater than demand then the price goes down.
If demand is greater than supply then the price goes up.

Time to diversify...

I totally understand it from a clients perspective and from the salon owners point of view however I. I. The strong belief that in order to run a successful business you obviously need to be able to meet your clients needs. With businesses being the way they are nowadays with longer opening times and excellent customer service, in order to succeed you need to not only be able to compete with other businesses opening times/service etc but you need to have a USP.

As it stands I can see why people are getting annoyed and why it is that the salon is becoming quieter. Generally I do longer hours on Wednesday and Thursdays 9-6 8by appointment but most other salons work Monday - Saturday 9-6/8 so we don't have comparable opening times.

I wish that I had the capital to take over the business but I know her rent is around £16,000 pa plus rates and insurance. Hence her (understandably) trying to cut costs wherever possible. I simply couldn't justify the cost when I'm essentially a one man band and the salons in town are charging so little for the same treatment. Having aired this out I'm seeing g things a little clearer though. Not looking good is it. Time for some changes...

Be good if there was a way of putting out a questionaire to your regular clients that came to you. Are they on your facebook business page ? Or could you send them a newsletter and invite them to give you feed back, just bouncing some ideas around ..

it is a struggle and it is only getting harder ,it is ok saying hold your nerve and dont drop your prices, that is ok if you have plenty of money to back you up,or if this is just a hobbie in your spare time, but it is getting harder and harder to compete in a high street with every other building being a hairdressers or a beauty salon. The prices have not fallen in the hairdressing world ,yet in beauty,nails etc they are at an all time low!i do blame this on all the day courses etc available(sorry if i have offended any one) this is not available with hairdressing,keeping the prices at a even keel.
The one thing i am noticing more and more is god dam horrific hair extensions being done in beauty salons, by nail techs etc who have been on a one day course for hair extensions, as bad has i think this is , it is just a true reality of people trying to survive in this economic climate.

it is a struggle and it is only getting harder ,it is ok saying hold your nerve and dont drop your prices, that is ok if you have plenty of money to back you up,or if this is just a hobbie in your spare time, but it is getting harder and harder to compete in a high street with every other building being a hairdressers or a beauty salon. The prices have not fallen in the hairdressing world ,yet in beauty,nails etc they are at an all time low!i do blame this on all the day courses etc available(sorry if i have offended any one) this is not available with hairdressing,keeping the prices at a even keel.
The one thing i am noticing more and more is god dam horrific hair extensions being done in beauty salons, by nail techs etc who have been on a one day course for hair extensions, as bad has i think this is , it is just a true reality of people trying to survive in this economic climate.

I think hairdressers have still been effected to a degree but agree beauty takes a harder hit.

I have seen so many hairdressers that do all services for £9 that it's amazing. And it's busy. The girls who work in there are generally all qualified and not bad at what they do. Probably just struggling with finding an employed position.

I think hairdressers have still been effected to a degree but agree beauty takes a harder hit.

I have seen so many hairdressers that do all services for £9 that it's amazing. And it's busy. The girls who work in there are generally all qualified and not bad at what they do. Probably just struggling with finding an employed position.

It's just a different way of advertising BP. If you look into those who market like that 5 foils would be £9 but if you wanted a full head you'd have to pay for say 50 foils at £9 per five. These salons are very quick they bang out a hair cut within 15 minutes so £9 per fifteen minutes is actually just under £40 per hour. However if you wanted a cut and blow dry it would be added extra for the blow dry and wash to bring it up to an acceptable and realistic price.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's just a different way of advertising BP. If you look into those who market like that 5 foils would be £9 but if you wanted a full head you'd have to pay for say 50 foils at £9 per five. These salons are very quick they bang out a hair cut within 15 minutes so £9 per fifteen minutes is actually just under £40 per hour. However if you wanted a cut and blow dry it would be added extra for the blow dry and wash to bring it up to an acceptable and realistic price.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

O yes. I agree. It's clever too. Like you say every little thing is £9 extra and a surcharge for long hair etc but it does seem to get people through the doors. The one very local to me have another 2 salons in a 30mile radius under the same name and concept.

Okay so usually I'm the most upbeat optimistic person but today especially I'm really struggling to be.

I know that it is January and many salons are finding it hard (on the back of a triple dip recession too) but these past few months have really been a struggle and I can't work out what's going on.

I currently rent a space within a salon in an area where the next nearest salon is about 10 minutes away in a car. The salons in town (next nearest) all offer ridiculous prices for their treatments and I'm starting to wonder if that's what's affect business so much?! A little example...I offer shellac at £25 my regular client came to me for her soak off and said that there's a place in town offering genuine shellac for £12.50 and another for £15 and they have more colours than me. She's been a loyal client of mine for almost 2 years but I've now not seen her in weeks. Her mom also a loyal client of mine for l&p has not been back since before Christmas but she was a regular every 2 weeks.

I went with the mindset that I will charge my worth and I KNOW that my work is much better than theirs and my treatments last and are known for their quality. I even made sure I was offering excellent customer service to each client to try and retain them further but they just keep dropping off one by one every few months. In the past 6 months I've lost about 1 regular a month but then every now and then they pop in for a treatment.

I've made sure I have my name on all sites I could think of, I've mail shotted schools, pubs, bridal shops etc and I even did a 500 leaflet drop but have only had 49 views and one potential booking from it. Where the hell am I going wrong?

I love the salon that I work at but I've been told by many clients that they have left because the salon owner seems to close when she feels like it and has been a bit rude to some clients previously. I'm not saying that to slate her because I actually really do and I can get a bit defensive when people (not clients) mention derogatory things about her. But for example this morning the lady at the co op next door said to me "were you not open this morning? I went passed and the shop looked closed?" I said I was in there but I'm not allowed to open until 10:30 as that's her opening times. She said does that woman even make any money as she has stupid opening times and seems to close when she wants. I've spoken to her about opening earlier/later but she says if no one is booked in then it's a waste of money to her as it costs money for lights/heating etc so she closes.

I should mention that she will be closing in about 6 months to open her own home salon but wants me to come work with her. I said I'd do 1/2 days a week with her and do mobile the rest.

I've even tried emailing clients saying to them diplomatically that I hope they're okay and I haven't seen them in a while, giving them an update in services I offer and that I'll be offering mobile and not one reply.

What am I doing wrong? I can't keep going on like this but I'm stubborn and I LOVE my job. The really frustrating thing is that I know that I'm better than 95% of the other techs in my area, I know because people have told me and I have had treatments done with them myself so I can see. Is it my prices? Someone please help me because I don't want to give up but I'm not seeing a way for me to carry on with my career if it keeps going on like this.

I'm feeling exactly like you!

I know I'm good, I know I have done top training, use great products.

I've done loads of things from Lynne's thread, but no business from it.

Had clients they all dropped off. I have one at the moment!

I'm on every advertising website, I have FB page, my own website.
Done pamper evening, people come and say your salons lovely, get a free file & polish on the evening and never book again!

My area is saturated with NSS & beauty salons. Even a jewellery shop in town has opened a Beauty room at the back.
There's a beauty salon right opposite that, which is always empty.
The NSS are over-flowing with customers. The beauty salons I go by are empty.

I'm home based so can't get any walking trade.

I don't think people want to know how good you are or what great products you use, it's all about if it's cheap get it done. It's convenient as well, your out shopping quickly get your nails done.
I do that, when I'm in town pop into the shop where my lady does my eyebrows.

I've got to a point where I've excepted nails won't pay and I can't rely on a income from that. A income to top up my wages yes but can't rely on it totally.

Sad times....

Hope things work out for you.

I'm feeling exactly like you!

I know I'm good, I know I have done top training, use great products.

I've done loads of things from Lynne's thread, but no business from it.

Had clients they all dropped off. I have one at the moment!

I'm on every advertising website, I have FB page, my own website.
Done pamper evening, people come and say your salons lovely, get a free file & polish on the evening and never book again!

My area is saturated with NSS & beauty salons. Even a jewellery shop in town has opened a Beauty room at the back.
There's a beauty salon right opposite that, which is always empty.
The NSS are over-flowing with customers. The beauty salons I go by are empty.

I'm home based so can't get any walking trade.

I don't think people want to know how good you are or what great products you use, it's all about if it's cheap get it done. It's convenient as well, your out shopping quickly get your nails done.
I do that, when I'm in town pop into the shop where my lady does my eyebrows.

I've got to a point where I've excepted nails won't pay and I can't rely on a income from that. A income to top up my wages yes but can't rely on it totally.

Sad times....

Hope things work out for you.

But you said you had clients and are now down to 1. Where did the rest of them go? I know some may have gone elsewhere cheaper but all of them? That doesn't seem right.

Were you nails only ? If so did you try to introduce other treatments to increase your client base ?

But you said you had clients and are now down to 1. Where did the rest of them go? I know some may have gone elsewhere cheaper but all of them? That doesn't seem right.

Were you nails only ? If so did you try to introduce other treatments to increase your client base ?

I had 2 regulars who found me on my website. One recommended me to the other, she told her daughters to come to me & bought gift vouchers for her nieces to come for a treatment.

One was going through a messy divorce and said she can't afford to get her nails done. The other said she's too busy studying and working she doesn't have time either. Her daughters have moved to London as they graduated n found work. I had 1-2 people they recommend would come once in maybe 3 months. Odd wedding client.

After June it just died. I had 3 regulars who come from august, one has lost her job so can't afford to do nails. One is a regular, the other one was very regular, I wasn't available one sat and she needed a repair and went to fix it at the NSS and has not booked it after that.

I do manicures, pedicures, shellac, acrylics & gel. I've introduced 3d nail art, loads of acrylic designs from some very well known ladies in the industry.

I want to introduce waxing, lashes. But right now if I can't even get a client in through the door, how am I going to get people in for those treatments?

I have salons all around, literally a very well known at the end of my road who do everything, they have 2 branches.

Another two 15 mins down the road, another one 10 mins around the corner.
Not forgetting the 3 NSS in town, & 3-4 beauty salons which are all on the high at, which is 15 mins away from me.

Latest posts

Back