Australian Nail Tech Regs and Legislation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty Snob

Reaction score
Hello geeks
I am starting the visa process and was wondering whether anything has changed down under with regards to Nail Technicians. Any requirements by law??
Any help gratefully received.
xx
PS I have been a nail tech for 24 years (gulp) have lots of industry trade certs and teach.

Hiya ( or should I say Gday)

I cant answer your question sorry, but im interisted in the replies you may get.
Im Asutralian and are applying for my hubbies visa, and hoping to do this buisness back home.
Good luck with process.

What class and/or subclass of visa will you be applying for?

Immigration laws are changing all the time here, only last week it was mentioned that hairdressers would no longer qualify, I'm not sure where this would leave you.

Although maybe a disappointment for you, I see it as a welcome change, as there are many flying under the radar and salons opening all over the place that cannot speak English, let alone understand clients needs.

The best advice is to speak to those with some kind of power regarding this issue.

Hi all,

Sorry to go off subject a bit but would anyone be able to help.

I am wanting to make the move to Australia but as they don't have beauty therapy on the list I am thinking off training as a hairdresser and apply after I have all the years experience needed.

My question Is is it worth ME retraining if they mite take it off the list? also how likely are they to add thing to the list? when I looked into this a few years back they had massage would they consider adding this or beauty?

Sorry aging for going off subject I just don't want to take years doing something if it will not get me to where I want to go.

Thanks

Sarah x

That's the reason I asked about the type of visa being applied for as the Immigration List (Migration Occupation in Demand List) does not apply to all visa types.

For example, if you are married to an Australian citizen or are skilled in another area (eg. nursing), where you intend to live in Australia (city or bush) or whether you are intending to work or study etc. There are a number of options to match the circumstances of each applicant.

That said, yes, there have been recent changes to the types of occupations in demand. The current status can be found here: Dept Immigration MODL

I'm currently applying for a visa to Auz and they have just wiped out the demand list so theres no point taining as a hairdresser. You'll be best getting an advisor to help you. They don't cost anything. I just hope you didn't have you're heart set on a perticular part of Auz as they just put you where they want you and you can't move for 2 years. This all came into effect last monday.

Most nail qualifications are recognised in Auz especially Creative. I was looking at applying for a nail tech job in brisbane and my qualifications were fine. They will probs want to tweek our technique to suit them though.

Good look with the move!!!
Vikki x

That's the reason I asked about the type of visa being applied for as the Immigration List (Migration Occupation in Demand List) does not apply to all visa types.

For example, if you are married to an Australian citizen or are skilled in another area (eg. nursing), where you intend to live in Australia (city or bush) or whether you are intending to work or study etc. There are a number of options to match the circumstances of each applicant.

That said, yes, there have been recent changes to the types of occupations in demand. The current status can be found here: Dept Immigration MODL
Hi Thanks for the reply Velveteen:green:, its not the visa that I am querying.
I or should I say we areapplying for a 175 on my husbands skills, my question is regarding me carrying on my business in Oz. Nail tech is not listed on the SOL or CSL, however if the regs are the same as here I see no reason why I cannot work in the same way. Just wanted clarification.
I am a level 3 hairdresser too and you are right there is much confusion about recent changes to the required skills for Oz.

Are you asking what qualifications you need to work as a nail tech in Australia? Pretty much none. Anyone can set themselves up and do nails here. We have the little nail spas all over the place with untrained girls doing set after dodgy set. We dont have all the insurance issues you have and I certainly dont need to tell anyone or register with anyone when I employ a new therapist. Does that help?
Pamela

If you are wanting to try and get a job in an existing salon most places will want equivelant to a certificate 2 or 3 in Nail Technology(google and you will be able to see what modules they cover), we don't have alot of regulations when it comes to our industry but we can be professional about what we do.
If you are wanting to set up on your own you will need an ABN(Australian Business Number) for taxation purposes, also need public liabitiy insurance and treatment risk insurance(you need to have 3yrs experience for the treatment risk cover), different states also have different regulations as to home businesses so you will need to check with the local council.
Hope this has helped.

Latest posts

Back