Average wage for nail technician in the UK?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think this totally depends on your wearabouts, i only get £5.05 per hour and i think i can safely say im experienced

I agree with this it does seem to depend to a degree on where you are. I live in Leeds (not the posh end:lol:) 20-30 per set seems top whack near where I am. I did see a thread where someone on here (and fair play to them I say) from Surrey I think had started out charging £35.00 and then gone up to £42.00, which I don't think people would pay near me, so with the same amount of clients taking the same amount of time that geeks clearing another £17.00 profit per person than me which makes their career more lucrative than mine. Hey Pan do you fancy sharing a house in Surrey:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am the educator for Creative Nail Design in Sussex. Wages for nail techs varie depending on experience, location and the position you are in, either mobile, rent a desk, shared percentage or employed. At my academy i will advise you of the best direction to take at your level.

I agree with this it does seem to depend to a degree on where you are. I live in Leeds (not the posh end:lol:) 20-30 per set seems top whack near where I am. I did see a thread where someone on here (and fair play to them I say) from Surrey I think had started out charging £35.00 and then gone up to £42.00, which I don't think people would pay near me, so with the same amount of clients taking the same amount of time that geeks clearing another £17.00 profit per person than me which makes their career more lucrative than mine. Hey Pan do you fancy sharing a house in Surrey:lol: :lol: :lol:

£17 per set more may sound really lucrative, but have you seen the prices of houses in Surrey??!! Cost of living has come into it as well....

Believe me, I'm on the Surrey / Hampshire border and and we still have NSS round here charging £23 and less a set - that keeps prices in check.

Yes, I know some very swanky places that charge £50+ a set but you CAN'T do that mobile or even home salon here, people just do not come to you. £25 NNO's for me £30 tips or sculpts.

Found this, which may be of interest to 'newbies' to the game...

http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/helpwithyourcareer/jobprofiles/profiles/profile1218/

ef? eh? £17 per set sucks...

Working for someone you take 0 risk and are guaranteed an income. Working for yourself, you take 100% risk and also all the rewards hence the difference in pay scale (though £5ph still sucks if you are generating more than £20ph in revenue for the salon).

The problem with our industry is the thought process that 'I couldn't charge that much... no one would come'. Its the most overused, wimpy and guaranteed wrong thing to say and think.

Most people that raise their prices lose a % of their clientèle. But the raise covers the loss of those clientèle. Therefore you make as much money, work less, pay for less product (and most importantly) have room to take on the clients that will pay a better price for your skills.

In fact, the less you charge, the more common it is for people to think you suck.

Regardless, I think its insane to charge less than £35 per set anywhere in this country. Most cities will have higher rates, more disposable income and as such, the price should reflect accordingly.

ef? eh? £17 per set sucks...

Working for someone you take 0 risk and are guaranteed an income. Working for yourself, you take 100% risk and also all the rewards hence the difference in pay scale (though £5ph still sucks if you are generating more than £20ph in revenue for the salon).

The problem with our industry is the thought process that 'I couldn't charge that much... no one would come'. Its the most overused, wimpy and guaranteed wrong thing to say and think.

Most people that raise their prices lose a % of their clientèle. But the raise covers the loss of those clientèle. Therefore you make as much money, work less, pay for less product (and most importantly) have room to take on the clients that will pay a better price for your skills.

In fact, the less you charge, the more common it is for people to think you suck.

Regardless, I think its insane to charge less than £35 per set anywhere in this country. Most cities will have higher rates, more disposable income and as such, the price should reflect accordingly.

Good thinking batman, i hadn't thought of it like that higher prices = less clients= less work for the same profit. Its always tempting to undercut thinking its going to make you busy, when really you are giving some the impression you aren't any good.

Our techs are averaging £6.50 per hours for full time work (sometimes they are chock full for months on end, at other times of the year they may be a little quieter) however, they also earn between £1 - £3 per hour in tips (sometimes a LOT more) this takes their average earnings per hour up considerably. SO...Guaranteed wage...no having to go out and find the business...or worry if the business doesn't come in...or worry about ongoing training costs...buying stock, etc., etc., etc.,:!:

Latest posts

Back