Avon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pen09

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the latest Avon brochure. They've brought out a new Avon gel polish and they're comparing it to Shellac. "Save on the salon Avon gel £3.50 whilst Shellac manicure is £25.00 save £21.50" Do they not know that Shellac isn't a gel..don't think I'll be losing any clients to it haha x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

£3.50? I bet it will chip and peel after one day lol

Felicity xx

I think from the blurb that even Avon use the term Shellac as a generic term for UV cured
Polishes like Hoover instead of vacuum cleaner. You would think they would have better brand awareness ;)

Bet it doesn't last up to 14 days ha x

As I understood it I don't think it's an actual gel polish, I think it normal polish with a supposed gel finish. I'm trying to find out where I read about it but it said it was long lasting base, colour, top all in one. It sounded to be more on a par with vinylux than shellac.

Yes thats what it said Karen872, does sound more on par with Vinylux doesn't it not Shellac. :) x

Sorry to but in and ask a totally unrelated question......but......i replied to someones thread the other day and it was to do with shellac being another gel polish........i replied (politely lol) stating it wasnt, it was a power polish, then carried on my reply. I had a reply from another member saying yes shellac is a gel polish? Im so confused, im not shellac trained, but after all you lovely geeks threads i pretty much could be haha so clear it up what are your opinions,

Is shellac or is it not in the gel polish category?? Xoxo

As I understood it I don't think it's an actual gel polish, I think it normal polish with a supposed gel finish. I'm trying to find out where I read about it but it said it was long lasting base, colour, top all in one. It sounded to be more on a par with vinylux than shellac.

Totally agree its a regular polish and its along same lines as Vinylux but to be honest its rubbish. I have a bottle and do not like it one bit. Our clients aren't stupid! Some may buy it but they'll soon be back x

Steph xx

Sorry to but in and ask a totally unrelated question......but......i replied to someones thread the other day and it was to do with shellac being another gel polish........i replied (politely lol) stating it wasnt, it was a power polish, then carried on my reply. I had a reply from another member saying yes shellac is a gel polish? Im so confused, im not shellac trained, but after all you lovely geeks threads i pretty much could be haha so clear it up what are your opinions,

Is shellac or is it not in the gel polish category?? Xoxo

Shellac is a gel polish. As is gelish and a host of other gel polishes on the market. Vinallux is a power polish. Someone tell me if I'm wrong !

No Shellac is a Power Polish not a gel polish hun :) x

I had client the other day wearing the Avon product. It had been on her nails for about a week. It was chipped, some of her nails were very damaged but it was still shiny. However, to remove it I had to soak it off for 4/5min.
She's an Avon sales representative and when I asked her about the removal her answer was "you just peel it off". I believe part of the damage on her nails was the result of not removing it properly.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

So if shellac is a power polish, what would you call a gel polish ? And what do you call vinalux ? And does the Avon polish air dry ? Just trying to get things straight for me and everyone..

I had client the other day wearing the Avon product. It had been on her nails for about a week. It was chipped, some of her nails were very damaged but it was still shiny. However, to remove it I had to soak it off for 4/5min.
She's an Avon sales representative and when I asked her about the removal her answer was "you just peel it off". I believe part of the damage on her nails was the result of not removing it properly.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh dear. Didn't know that they peel the Avon product off, totally agree with you over the damage to the nails hun x

So if shellac is a power polish, what would you call a gel polish ? And what do you call vinalux ? And does the Avon polish air dry ? Just trying to get things straight for me and everyone..

No idea about the gel polish hun, I use Shellac. The VINYLUX™ is a breakthrough polish system that endures a week of fashion perfection…without a base coat! Exposure to natural light secures the patent-pending technology.*Obviously that is quoted by CND, I love this product. X

Just had a client who is a friend and trialling flexiglaze with me. I said are you wanting gel polish Monday as I now have it. And as the conversation developed she mentioned this Avon gel polish. She said it's only £3.50 a bottle might be something for you to look into..... Erm no I'm ok thanks

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

Just had a client who is a friend and trialling flexiglaze with me. I said are you wanting gel polish Monday as I now have it. And as the conversation developed she mentioned this Avon gel polish. She said it's only £3.50 a bottle might be something for you to look into..... Erm no I'm ok thanks

emmalou, next time educate your client about the difference. I wish someone could answer my question though. What do you call a gel polish ? if shellac is apparently a power polish !

I have... I explained it's not a professional product and a said what I have heard about the product

emmalou, next time educate your client about the difference. I wish someone could answer my question though. What do you call a gel polish ? if shellac is apparently a power polish !

When Shellac was launched it was known as a Power Polish, this is really a marketing term which helped to differentiate it from the 100% gel polishes which were also on the market or about to be launched.

Shellac is a hybrid product as it also contains solvents, like a polish.
There are others now that also have solvents and I believe OPIs system has solvents in the basecoat and topcoat but the colours are all 100% gel.

It is the solvents that help with the removal and make Shellac the easiest system to remove and why no buffing is required. Because classifications and MSDS haven't moved with the times there as yet is no differentiation between these systems/product and as far as the MSDS go they are all called Gel polish.

I think we do all get a bit too hung up and pedantic about this but as professionals then we really should know our products.
If a client asks me the difference between Shellac and Gelish that I use I just say that Shellac is more like a traditional polish as it has solvents in it but Gelish is a thinned down gel that can be applied as a polish. However it makes no difference to their nails as applied and removed correctly by me their nails will be the same.

Back on topic this Avon product is just another polish and won't affect the nail carrying out UV cured polish treatments.

A girl at my work tried it, lasted 2 days before chipping and she was back to me lol!! Xx

Latest posts

Back