Awkward client: help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squidgernetball that made me laugh!! Some people eh xx

Geeg, no need to be so harsh..!! i'm brand new to this?! I am so grateful for EVERYONE'S advice and won't ignore them. I was only joking about telling her I'm fully booked, general banter, i did not suggest this..! Someone suggested offering her a set with 10% off which I'll do?? Thnx for your advice I'll take it into account. As I said every day is a learning curve at mo....

Hey ... I wasn't being harsh. You just don't want to hear it!
Answer a few questions if you would be so kind.
Did she already admit before her appointment to pulling her nails off ?
Did she ever show you the damaged nails?
Did she return when you offered assistance?
Do you now find she is going on holiday and wants to take you up on your offer?
Does she have a right to a 10% discount.
If you can't handle this client do you want to have to deal with her on a regular basis?
Do you like people disrespecting you and what you do?

The only way to handle it now is to offer nothing off ... Because she doesn't deserve it. When you say NO discount .... A couple of things may happen.
First she will either suck it up or she won't.
If she tells you to take a hike then that will take care of having to ever deal with her again. Say bye!
If she pays up ... Even if she grumbles ... Then you will get what you deserve, she will realise she can't get away with her behaviour with you again ... She will gain some respect and you might gain a regular client.

You are frightened of this girl and what she is going to say, or you are frightened of having to confront her ... Nothing unusual about that; none of us likes confrontation but confrontation does not have to turn nasty. Just tell her as it really is ...

"I made you an offer 8 weeks ago to do a repair etc. You did not take me up on that offer and I never even saw your nails! It wouldn't be reasonable of you to expect another's full set out of me for anything other than the full price. The price is 15£" If she says "no deal" after that then good riddance. If you are worried about her telling her friends then don't be, she will be doing you a giant favour by letting everyone know that you will not be taken advantage of.

I hope you can see and will learn from it. I know you are new at this so nip it in the bud now or you can expect others to take advantage of you because you can be sure that this girl will brag to others about how she had you over and that is a far worse reputation to have than that you didn't give in to her.

It is also my nature to want to help others ... This is why I spend so much of my time here on SG ... That nature is part of what makes us good at our job, but when someone is taking the P then my good nature goes out the window. There is a difference between being good natured and accommodating and being silly soft.

Last edited:
Agree 100% with Geeg!

You had an agreement 8weeks ago, she cant then take you up on the offer!
If you bought a top from next you only have a 28day policy if that. I would pre message her "hi xxxx, we spoke a while ago regarding your nail appt? Havent heard anything back from you I can no longer offer this as it was only valid for xxx time" if she moans just state you would have hoped she would book in sooner as she was clearly upset with her nails and hadnt waited until she was booking for her holiday to come back and confirm.

You have to be honest theres no point pussyfooting around in this situation shes clearly done it before and will do it again. Atleast she will know she wont be able to pull those stunts around you! xx

ah geeg thank you so much for that advice, so helpful !! I'll definitely take everything into account and put my Foot down hehe!!
It's daunting as I work alone, have nobody to ask advice when stuff like this happens :(
All she told me she's pulled nails off before and got her money back.. At this point my heart did sink cus I knew what was coming next..! :/
A week later whilst she was on holiday she facebkd me saying her thumb was on the brink.. I said come back and see me soon as youre home no prob:) She did not return at all, just giving it the "big'en" over text saying how p*ssed off she was... Surely at this point you'd return straight away?? But no, "I'm too busy with work" so i did find myself constantly chasing her up asking when she was next free..
I should've left it at that really but she's well known for her general b*tchiness (excuse the french) and wanted to make sure she didn't slate me so soon into my new career lol!!
What you're saying is definitely very true, no point pussyfooting around her, she will never be a regular client anyway as she seems to go from place to place finding fault and getting refunds lol!!! Shameful....
Thanks again all for the fab advice.... I spose we all have this situation sooner or later.... Better off sooner!! Now I know and I can move on confidently knowing its not all my fault !! People defo take advantage when you're new.... I need to trust in myself :)
Thanks so much guys I feel 10 stone lighter lol!! I'm just a worrier that's all!!!
Have a beautiful day
Xxxxxx

ah geeg thank you so much for that advice, so helpful !! I'll definitely take everything into account and put my Foot down hehe!!
It's daunting as I work alone, have nobody to ask advice when stuff like this happens :(
All she told me she's pulled nails off before and got her money back.. At this point my heart did sink cus I knew what was coming next..! :/
A week later whilst she was on holiday she facebkd me saying her thumb was on the brink.. I said come back and see me soon as youre home no prob:) She did not return at all, just giving it the "big'en" over text saying how p*ssed off she was... Surely at this point you'd return straight away?? But no, "I'm too busy with work" so i did find myself constantly chasing her up asking when she was next free..
I should've left it at that really but she's well known for her general b*tchiness (excuse the french) and wanted to make sure she didn't slate me so soon into my new career lol!!
What you're saying is definitely very true, no point pussyfooting around her, she will never be a regular client anyway as she seems to go from place to place finding fault and getting refunds lol!!! Shameful....
Thanks again all for the fab advice.... I spose we all have this situation sooner or later.... Better off sooner!! Now I know and I can move on confidently knowing its not all my fault !! People defo take advantage when you're new.... I need to trust in myself :)
Thanks so much guys I feel 10 stone lighter lol!! I'm just a worrier that's all!!!
Have a beautiful day
Xxxxxx
i really wish you the best through all of this. It's just learning to say NO! The first time is the hardest ... After that it is a breeze!

No good business was built by people saying .... "She's an easy pushover", no matter how NICE anyone thinks it makes them appear to be. That is not what builds your business. Being firm, friendly yet professional, accommodating and doing great work is what will build your reputation and your client list. All the very best!! X

Latest posts

Back