Awkward client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flic22

Reaction score
So, i have been doing make up for a while but am looking to branch more in to the bridal make up. To get started i ran a competition to give 3 brides a free bridal make up. So far so good, 2 of the brides are lovely and 1 already been for her trial and the other is gettting back to me as she wants her trial for her hens.

Bride no 3 is being very akward. I said i would prefer her to come in for a trial to know that my style and products 'suit' her as i would hate to ruin anyone's big day. She is sending me crazy pics of full on air brushed models - VERY glittery eyes and saying she wants me to make her look like that. Then she is messaging me will I 'do a good deal' for her bridesmaids.

What would you do?
Would you do a bride with no trial?

No I wouldn't do a bride without a trial run especially this one if she's sending you unrealistic pictures.

I would send some photos of your recent brides to show your style . Insist on booking a trial defo
I think I would also offer her a get out route such as saying she can change her prize to salon treatments to the value £x if she prefers.

Be firm and stand your ground!
[emoji4]

Be very firm and try to put her off. She sounds a probable Bridezilla!

Ok, i have avoided replying all weekend but i will have to today! I am actually afraid to do her make up now incase she slates me. I can't see her coming to me for a trial as she lives a good 40 min drive away and I am not going to her.... all other brides come to me when its a freebie. When I didnt back down on doing a deal for her bridesmaids she said dont bother they have their own make up booked anyway - obviously wanting me to do them for next to nothing.

Your competition prize was for a simple elegant bridal make-up (or whatever description you wish to apply).
Make it crystal clear to this Bride that these are the terms of the prize with absolutely no concessions. Explain that the style she has shown you isn't covered by your offer and that if she wants anything else, she has to pay full price. Make it clear that there's no room for negotiation.

She'll either accept your terms or go elsewhere depending on how desperate she is for a freebie.

Oh I could cry! I just messaged her - i told her my line of bridal is a more classic look - would she be interested in that? She said no. So i said if she books in for a trial we could give it a go - no as i am too far away and that she would have no time to get to me - wedding is in 4 weeks..... Could i do gel nails for her and a bridesmaid instead - i said yes but again she would have to come to me as i am not mobile for nail appointments. Arghhh nightmare. I can see she wont let this go.

Unless you offer mobile services i would charge accordingly for it. Simply state terms and conditions that you stipulate per every offer otherwise you will find yourself in predicaments where someone wants to look at loopholes and have you at a disadvantage.. Don't give yourself unnecessary hassle. Just firmly say well this is all i can offer, and it seems that you are unable to travel to me so unfortunately you wish her the best for her big day and retract it. Good luck xoxo

If she lives too far to come to the salon then she shouldn't have entered the competition!!
If you don't offer mobile then you DON'T

Oh I could cry! I just messaged her - i told her my line of bridal is a more classic look - would she be interested in that? She said no. So i said if she books in for a trial we could give it a go - no as i am too far away and that she would have no time to get to me - wedding is in 4 weeks..... Could i do gel nails for her and a bridesmaid instead - i said yes but again she would have to come to me as i am not mobile for nail appointments. Arghhh nightmare. I can see she wont let this go.
Why have you agreed to do 2 people when only one person won the comp and it wasn't even for nails?

If she's 40 minutes away you're unlikely to gain a loyal client, I'd have sent her on her way.

Prize was for bride and 1 bridesmaid but only bride's trial included in prize.

Yeah you are right that she wont be a loyal client! I can't see that happening, she wont let it go - she wants 'something' for free!

Prize was for bride and 1 bridesmaid but only bride's trial included in prize.

Yeah you are right that she wont be a loyal client! I can't see that happening, she wont let it go - she wants 'something' for free!

One idea might be to send her a voucher for the appropriate value of her prize - this way you have given a prize but the chances are that she will never use it.

Best outcome would be if she gives the voucher to someone who lives close to your salon !

Gosh sorry she sounds terrible. I would simply say that the terms conditions of the prize is : x and you not offering other. You can't swop out a prize it isn't a paid for voucher so she must be trying to pull a fast one on you !
If she wants to look like a glittery unicorn on her wedding day with make up like Instagram drag queens then good luck to her !! Imagine being married to her . Shame.

It's a prize for goodness sake .... YOU offered it, YOU dictate the terms and if she doesn't like them then the prize is withdrawn.

If you feel mean give her a (small) gift voucher against services when booking next time ... (Although I don't think she deserves it, she's not even nice and boy would you dread that appointment!) But I'd still stipulate that you don't work without a trial, end of.

What a horror she sounds, nailpod that second paragraph made me splutter into my cup of tea lol [emoji23]

OK so finally she got the message. After asking about nails - would I travel, I said no, then she said could i travel even after the wedding, I said no again. Then she asked could I do hair instead - i dont do hair so finally she said she'd leave it - phew!!

Wanna bet she's gonna come back? [emoji13]

Yay for you and your nerves !

Latest posts

Back