axium vs brisa gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccaj

Reaction score
I have just seen a demo of OPI axium coloured gels and was very impressed. So impressed with the ease of application and the colour range that am considering purchasing.

However, I am CND user and am wondering if I should be buying Brisa bolds instead. (I am not really so keen on having to mix colours as I custom blend my L&P and seem to end up with heaps of little pots of various colours).

Has anyone used both OPI and CND and have a definite preference, or just care to comment on either of these brands, keeping in mind I am fairly new to gels. Many thanks.

I do brisa gels, but when I saw the ads for the gel lacquer come out, I knew I wanted to try it. And the best news I got was from an OPI educator, stating that the product could be cured with the Brisa lamp and I did not have to purchase a 4th lamp (I've tried a few products before Brisa lol). The only thing with using the Brisa lamp is it's a 2 minute lamp. Axxium gel lacquer has cure times of 1, 2 and 3 minutes. Not too big of a deal..I cure the first layer (that's one minute) for 2 in the Brisa lamp, because it takes me about 2 minutes to do the other hand anyway, and you can't really overcure it.

There is a difference between the Brisa bolds and the gel lacquer. You cannot extend with the gel lacquer, nor correct shape. It is meant to look and feel like polish, so it's very thin and flexible. I've heard it's comparable to bio sculpture or calgel colors, but I have no experience with those. The Brisa Bolds are a regular gel, just colored. They are thicker gels and you can sculpt with them and correct shape.

I love the axxium gel lacquer and so do my clients. I've actually converted many from full acrylic nails to just the gel because the only reason they had the enhancements on was to hold the polish. And the gel lacquer lasts 2-3 weeks and you fill it like a regular acrylic or gel infill. If the client wants to change colors, you soak off. But they are kind of misleading about the soak off time. Even with me file a LOT, it takes me about 30-45 minutes to get all the layers off. And I have also found, I cannot just soak the color off and leave the base layer as they say you can. Another thing to watch out for is the color swatches. Some of the colors are WAY different on than what they look like on the box or even in the pot. I suggest taking a piece of laminate and putting a dab of all of the colors on there and curing it so you know. Some of them need 3 coats to look right. I was particularly disappointed with "brisbane bronze"...it goes on nearly clear, and it doesn't matter how many coats you put on, it doesn't look ANYTHING near the swatch.

But besides those, I love the product. It's a perfect step between natural nails and enhancements. It helps people grow and keep their own nails nice. It's harder for them to break a nail with it on and it doesn't chip (very rarely does it...). It's perfect for people who have medium to short, healthy, normal nails. If they want long nails, you'd have to do an enhancement under it.

And the best part: It's 100% dry when they leave. They love that the most!

HTH's
Jessica

I just wanted to add a few things to the post before mine. I also use the opi gel polishes. I agree that they do not always look the same on as they do in the jar. I have found, though, that usually that's because they are not mixed well enough. I use an orangewood stick and really mix them good and then I find that the color goes on with more coverage and actually looks how it's supposed to. Brisbane Bronze is one of my clients favorites and it's a light color but definitely a bronzy color and not clear at all.

Also, to remove them. I start my service by sanitizing the clients hands and my own, then I soak a small piece of cotton in acetone (not too much so it doesnt drip everywhere) and place it on the clients nail bed, then wrap a small piece of foil around the cotton and the finger and move on to the next finger. I do this to all ten fingers and then go back to the first nail I started with, and remove the foil and cotton. The polish is kind of bubbly and lifting from the nail. I then take my pusher plus (opi) and kind of just push it off the nail. It comes right off. Then I proceed with the rest of my manicure (dry, because if you soak the hands and re-apply the gel polish, they don't last as long) and re-apply the polishes start to finish. The whole process usually takes about 1 and a half hours. (My mani's are an hour) They really do last 2-4 weeks and what's great is that they add a little extra strength to the nail, so clients can wear them a little longer if they like. And because OPI has made all their gel polishes to match their original polishes, you can sell the original polishes to your clients so that when the polish is growing out, they can just add a coat of regular polish to "fill in" the regrowth area.

If you can't tell I am a huge fan of the Axxium Gel laquers. I also use the Axxium gel line for enhancements and they are just as great. Some of my clients go 4 weeks in between fills and their nails still look great.

Oh and one last thing. I actually recommend using the Brisa lamp for the axxium polishes (not the regular gels) because the lamp is designed better than OPI's ( I have both lamps) and the polish will last longer when used with the Brisa lamp.

Hope I was helpful!

thanks Jessicles snd SarahRose. You have both been extremely helpful. Will stick with my Brisa for building and order the Axxium for my natural nails. I dont have a huge client base but was really taken with the Axxium. Thanks for advice on Brisa lamp as was not going to purchase the opi lamp but then starting having serious doubts as to if the Brisa lamp would cure product correctly.

Thanks again
Rebecca J

Latest posts

Back