BABTAC or FHT or Guild of Beauty therapists????? Help!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salon-sal

Reaction score
Can anyone out there help me? I have been from site to site trying to weigh up the benefits of all the associations but it's confusing stuff, I would prefer one that offers me insurance included so it's looking like BABTAC is the best. But what about the Guild of beauty therapists? Then there's FHT ? If you are a member of any of these please can you tell me what in included in the membership and how much you pay? Can anyone advice me who is a member of any of these? Please!! Sally.

:confused:

www.beautyspotbeauty.co.uk

Hi Sally,

they are all good providers and it is very much a personal choice kind of thing......however for us the Guild ticks the right boxes.

Good luck :hug:

I was torn between the guild and babtac....but in the end after reading through everything thoroughly I decided on babtac....I dont think you can go far wrong with either tbh x

Guild of beauty therapists is the one I am with, I`ve had no problems and they have always been good if I needed to ask any thing. :)

Thank you, but would you mind telling me what you get included in your membership? Do they include insurance? Thanks.

I'm with the guild and yes they do provide insurance. They are very good and very prompt with anything I ask them either to do or any advice. Although as everyone else says BABTAC and Guild probably the same essentially! Toss a coin if it helps! Lx

When I first qualified 15 years ago I joined up with The FHT. I loved their magazine and rang them up a few times for advice and they were Ok, but it got a bit 'big' and it went through the automated phone system after a few years so felt less personal, although on speaking to someone you got a good response.
You pay about £100 for membership and insurance.

Last year I qualified in a therapy that FHT decided would cost me an extra £70 a year to insure with them, plus I was looking to get my training courses accredited and from this site decided to talk to the guild.

In the end, i got my insurance from another company as they didn't insure this particular therapy, but i signed up as an associate member with the guild so that I could (a) be a member of a professional organisation (b) get my courses accredited through them.

The past 6 months has been a total joy for my in my dealings with the guild, they are truly wonderful and tick all my boxes. they are professional and guide you when you need it, they answer questions and go that extra mile to ensure that you get what you are seeking AND check that you are happy with the response.

The guild also have introduced us geeks to the aero promotion which bought in new custom (one of my clients booked in tomorrow is a returning aero client).

the guild also did a christmas competition which I know a lot of geeks took part in.

one of the staff is a geek and has always been happy to answer questions that I have thrown at them even when they are "off duty".

In defence of BABTAC, I have never been a member of this organisation, but my friend has been a member and got her insurance with them for about 20 years and has never complained about them, plus their magazine is fab!!!! one of the staff is a member of geek too and he seems happy to answer questions.

I think the prices are about the same for all, you get membership and insurance for under £100. being a member of a professional organisation is more important than you realise, the magazines keep you up to date with new legislation.

So, it is up to you to weigh up the pros and cons of each of the orgs that you have mentioned, but they are all highly professional organisations.

I am just coming up for renewal and will be changing to the Guild as I believe BABTAC is very slowly going downhill. I have written to them twice lately for seperate reasons and had no reply whatsoever, their Vitality magazine is getting thinner and thinner with less articles each month and really not worth getting out the envelope, their website is not user friendly and it seems no one really goes into the forum lately so not very informative...
Sorry but the Guild it is... Good luck with your choice..Lynni

WOW!! Thank you Hippy Chick and Lynn, that information is so helpful, thanks for spending the time HC on explaining all that. Great!

WOW!! Thank you Hippy Chick and Lynn, that information is so helpful, thanks for spending the time HC on explaining all that. Great!
you are very welcome.
why not go onto the guild website and see what you are getting for your money?
think theirs a banner advert above offering £10 if you join with the link off the geek.

I'm with FHT, but the magazine is dreadful & has no articles of interest to anyone with more than half a brain cell - it's like it's been written for the general public rather than educated professionals. I'm also rather annoyed with their constant pursual of what I believe to be a rather large & white elephant, i.e. voluntary regulation. Just another excuse to get money out of already struggling professionals for little to no gain.

After 6 years of being with FHT I'm thinking of going over to the Guild when I'm up for renewal.

Two words-The Guild!...:!:...ticks all the right boxes....:)

Im with none of the above as I decided to go with ABT this time around. I don't think they are as big as the guild or babtac yet and to be honest I went with them more for the insurance aspect than to be part of a association but am happy with the price and service, also includes a 12 month subscription to guild news, website listing etc.

Oh and the head office is very local to me so figured if there were any problems I could just pop in to get them sorted !

Associated Beauty Therapists

Thanks fr the comments guys, we do our best to help you where ever we can.

Our membership does include £2 million Public, Producy & Treatment Liability insurance cover, as well as loads of other benefits. If you need any more information, click here, call us on 0845 3177 383 or PM me.

Im with none of the above as I decided to go with ABT this time around. I don't think they are as big as the guild or babtac yet and to be honest I went with them more for the insurance aspect than to be part of a association but am happy with the price and service, also includes a 12 month subscription to guild news, website listing etc.

Oh and the head office is very local to me so figured if there were any problems I could just pop in to get them sorted !

Associated Beauty Therapists
Thanks for recommending us Bombini! Here at ABT we offer a great value insurance package that includes membership, free subscription to Guild news or Scratch magazine for our Tech members! Prices for Nail membership with Insurance (though AXA) is normally only £40.50 for the year......however as a special online offer to all the Geeks out there, apply online using voucher code OT0001 and you will get 20% discount of any of our categories! All the Best, Dave.

I'm with BABTAC and I'm not as happy as I should be, I think. Thankfully I've never had occasion to need their insurance, but their cover is a bit queer. You can't be insured for x unless you're also qualified in y, even when you're qualified in x. Dunno whether that's true for the other companies though!

Hi Sally
You're right it's all very confusing!
BABTAC offers unbeatable insurance, i'm from a financial background and dealt with insurance for years and trust me this policy really is unbeatable. BABTAC also has great benefits. Membership should give you complete piece of mind and as BABTAC is a "not for profit" company you know you're part of an organisation that works for you.

Do I take it you work for BABTAC given you're in Cheltenham? Or is it pure coincidence?!

Yes, i do.
I'm new to Salon Geek, it's a great site.

I am just coming up for renewal and will be changing to the Guild as I believe BABTAC is very slowly going downhill. I have written to them twice lately for seperate reasons and had no reply whatsoever, their Vitality magazine is getting thinner and thinner with less articles each month and really not worth getting out the envelope, their website is not user friendly and it seems no one really goes into the forum lately so not very informative...
Sorry but the Guild it is... Good luck with your choice..Lynni

and I know it is, because I edit it! The last 4 issues have all had more articles than the previous year! Look out for the new look that hits the streets this week, I think it sets us apart even more, it is now right at the top of the tree

Latest posts

Back