Bad aftercare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacytree

Reaction score
Is anyone else finding a lot of clients have been recommended to remove Gelish on their own?
I've had several new clients that have been elsewhere before and were put off with damage occurred when they removed their own Gelish. After I explained that it is best removed by a professional to insure correct removal they were quite taken aback. Is it just me that thinks this is basic info and a service that should have been given to each and every client? No wonder some people think Gelish and other similar products wreck their nails when their told to do it on their own!

no client should ever take anything off on there own unless its a basic polish id allow that much at least.and a professional should not think its ok for them to do so.but clients do not have the knowledge to understand why a professional should only do removals.i always tell my clients to come tome if they want anything removed and why and tobe honest most do not listen.what canya do?

After reading educational updates from Doug Schoon about how vulnerable the nail plate becomes during removal, I would say a client would risk damage from being over zealous.

I would now therefore encourage them to come back.

Good! I'm glad it's not just me that thinks it's wrong. x

I don't charge my clients for taking it off. I would rather they come to me and have it done properly rather than think they're going to save a few pennies by doing it themselves. It's the self removal clients who will later turn around and say "oh, Shellac/Gelish whatever, ruined my nails! At least this way I can show them there has been no damage and they return to have it applied again.

mobile manicure i agree^^^

I don't charge my clients for taking it off. I would rather they come to me and have it done properly rather than think they're going to save a few pennies by doing it themselves. It's the self removal clients who will later turn around and say "oh, Shellac/Gelish whatever, ruined my nails! At least this way I can show them there has been no damage and they return to have it applied again.

I offer the first removal free so they can see how good they CAN look when done properly. I don't charge for removal if they are having Gelish reapplied. But I do charge for further removals as I tidy, file and give them a little nail envy. What amazes me, is that some don't take advantage of the offer and will still pick them off! :(

I do Gelish and don't charge for removal even if they're not having it back on. I just think clients appreciate it and will come back. I do have clients who pick it off and I tell them off!!!!!

I of course charge for removal, but it is built into my service cost, clients don't pay extra but I don't loose out .. In fact I gain because that cost is built into even the first appointment for their Shellac when of course I don't remove anything.

I do think there are times when clients do need or want to remove their Colour, and for that we retail the wonderful Shellac 'Remove Tubes' that contain everything the client needs to remove Shellac quickly and without damage.

Fortunately Shellac removes super quickly and clients don't have to 'dig' or scrape at their nails to get it off the surface. All my clients know exactly how to remove without causing damage because I teach them and show them, every time I do it for them. I don't encourage clients to do their own removal, but if the need arises then I am glad they have the right tools and method from me so they can do it. I get every client to buy a 'Remove Tube' if they are going on holiday, just in case ! They are a good seller for us.

Even if a client bodged up the removal, it would still be a better option than picking! I'd rather they had the right gear and I don't need to be prissy about saying they should only come to ME. Clients are perfectly capable of removing Shellac themselves IF they are taught how. It certainly is not a difficult process.

Last edited:
I of course charge for removal, but it is built into my service cost, clients don't pay extra but I don't loose out .. In fact I gain because that cost is built into even the first appointment for their Shellac when of course I don't remove anything.

I do think there are times when clients do need or want to remove their Colour, and for that we retail the wonderful Shellac 'Remove Tubes' that contain everything the client needs to remove Shellac quickly and without damage.

Fortunately Shellac removes super quickly and clients don't have to 'dig' or scrape at their nails to get it off the surface. All my clients know exactly how to remove without causing damage because I teach them and show them, every time I do it for them. I don't encourage clients to do their own removal, but if the need arises then I am glad they have the right tools and method from me so they can do it. I get every client to buy a 'Remove Tube' if they are going on holiday, just in case ! They are a good seller for us.

Even if a client bodged up the removal, it would still be a better option than picking! I'd rather they had the right gear and I don't need to be prissy about saying they should only come to ME. Clients are perfectly capable of removing Shellac themselves IF they are taught how. It certainly is not a difficult process.
All sounds perfectly sensible apart from the "prissy" comment. In this case I am talking more about Gelish than Shellac which as I'm sure you know can have a few issues when being removed. Being tempted to "dig" (by clients) being one of them. The issue was not the service I provide as I do of course explain removal thoroughly as they may of course want to remove by themselves. The point being I give them the option. My point was that other nail techs have sent them on their way uninformed! A removal pack is a great idea for retail. I'll be using that idea thanks.
So to be clear. Do none of you charge if a client comes in looking for a removal at all? Do you do a tidy up too? Or just remove clean and go?

All sounds perfectly sensible apart from the "prissy" comment. In this case I am talking more about Gelish than Shellac which as I'm sure you know can have a few issues when being removed. Being tempted to "dig" (by clients) being one of them. The issue was not the service I provide as I do of course explain removal thoroughly as they may of course want to remove by themselves. The point being I give them the option. My point was that other nail techs have sent them on their way uninformed! A removal pack is a great idea for retail. I'll be using that idea thanks.
So to be clear. Do none of you charge if a client comes in looking for a removal at all? Do you do a tidy up too? Or just remove clean and go?

I do a bit of a tidy up, quick file, push back cuticles and apply some cuticle oil.

Mmmm Mobile Manicure Maybe I should have a rethink about that. Thanks for your feed back ;)

Is anyone else finding a lot of clients have been recommended to remove Gelish on their own?
I've had several new clients that have been elsewhere before and were put off with damage occurred when they removed their own Gelish. After I explained that it is best removed by a professional to insure correct removal they were quite taken aback. Is it just me that thinks this is basic info and a service that should have been given to each and every client? No wonder some people think Gelish and other similar products wreck their nails when their told to do it on their own!

In the past couple of years I have been using Gelish, I have not had one single client claiming that they were told to remove their Gelish at home by another salon. In fact, I am the one who is retailing Shellac Remove tubes to clients who do not have the time to return for a removal OR prefer to remove their Gelish at home. With specific instructions and obviously not armed with a 180 grit file, I don't really see what the big problem is, as I trust my clients to be competent enough to wrap their nails up and to wait patiently for the stuff to lift off of their nails and not to "scrape" it off!

There might be more to this issue than just sending clients away to remove their own Gelish. It might be the fact that some Techs/Therapists are not charging enough to apply and remove their clients' gel polish so they might be recommending home removal.

Personally, I do not find it justifiable (unless incorporated in the price) to remove a client's gel polish for free. I don't care how regular they are. I will always charge or the incorporate for removal in my pricing. If they are not having it again, I charge more. I am running a business and have overheads. Clients who do not want to be charged (and they are a tiny minority) will buy a Shellac removal kit and remove from home.

The fact of the matter for me is that if clients want to be independent and soak off at home, with the correct and safe instructions, why can't they? It isn't rocket science!

Last edited:
Sorry ADiva1, I don't know that I've explained myself very well. I have no problem with clients removing on their own armed with the correct tools and info. It's more that (according to clients) they were told "yeah you just soak it in acetone and it'll come off" My first thought was that it was a way of the techs passing the buck on any damage. What do you think?

"There might be more to this issue than just sending clients away to remove their own Gelish. It might be the fact that some Techs/Therapists are not charging enough to apply and remove their clients' gel polish so they might be recommending home removal."

I feel I unclude removal in my prices. I'm not cheap lol. I felt a bit like "start as you mean to go on." I don't want to be known as someone that'll do freebies.

Oh and I'm definately going to arrange some kind of home removal kit. That's a great idea.

Thanks for your input ;)

Sorry ADiva1, I don't know that I've explained myself very well. I have no problem with clients removing on their own armed with the correct tools and info. It's more that (according to clients) they were told "yeah you just soak it in acetone and it'll come off" My first thought was that it was a way of the techs passing the buck on any damage. What do you think?

"There might be more to this issue than just sending clients away to remove their own Gelish. It might be the fact that some Techs/Therapists are not charging enough to apply and remove their clients' gel polish so they might be recommending home removal."

I feel I unclude removal in my prices. I'm not cheap lol. I felt a bit like "start as you mean to go on." I don't want to be known as someone that'll do freebies.

Oh and I'm definately going to arrange some kind of home removal kit. That's a great idea.

Thanks for your input ;)

'Remove Tubes' are great and already arranged and money in your pocket with NO effort. They contain wraps, wooden cuticle stick, D.Solve and a mini Solar Oil. Great aftercare add on to your service. 08452106060

Thanks. I'll look into that.

"yeah you just soak it in acetone and it'll come off"

Aha, I see what you mean! It just might be a gel polish selling point for some Techs/Therapists then. Maybe, they are telling clients that it is simple to remove at home and not educating clients that the product cannot be removed with for example non acetone polish remover. That's the first thing I always tell clients... The product will not budge if you use a non-professional product.

I don't like neat acetones and have not used any for years, so I retail Shellac Remove tubes. D'Solve is a superior product if I must say so myself. I have used many other buffered acetones and nothing compares.

Educate your clients or those who come to you from other techs. Always charge though as you do have to buy all of your products.

Goodluck with everything.

'Remove Tubes' are great and already arranged and money in your pocket with NO effort. They contain wraps, wooden cuticle stick, D.Solve and a mini Solar Oil. Great aftercare add on to your service. 08452106060

except whenever I'm doing an order they're out of stock :)

except whenever I'm doing an order they're out of stock :)

They are very popular. :D

I happen to know there will be thousands in stock very soon so keep your peepers on the website! :hug:

Latest posts

Back