Bad supermarket shampoo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a lovely googled piece of work however factually incorrect to say both supermarket and professional products contain the same ingredients!

If this was the case, we would use any old thing to save us money too!!

OTC products are made cheaper by bill and Ben who also make washing up liquid, know nothing about hair, it needs to throw, clean and smell nice, throw it in a bottle boom £2 thank you sir, salon pro products are made by hairdressers for hairdressers and have your hair at the forefront of their mind at all times, to do the job at hand without ruining you hair in the process. Helping colours take better, last longer and hair naturally shiny rather than pretend silicone shiny.

It is true silicone is in most shampoos however the type is what matter, cheap OTC prods is plastic silicone that builds up and cause dullness over time. Salon pro if they have it are water soluble and necessary for the job at hand and wash back off the minute water touches it. Unlike the cheap plastic coating that doesn't.

I'm saying that you can find the same ingredients in both products, that is in no way factually incorrect. Compare the top six ingredients in these two products:

L’Oreal Professionel *Vitamino Color Shampoo, £34 litre
aqua (water)
sodium *laureth sulfate (surfactant)
disodium cocoamphodiacetate (surfactant)
dimethicone (silicone)
glycol distearate (thickener)
sodium chloride (salt/thickener)

Elvive Colour Protect Shampoo, £9.60 litre
aqua
sodium *laureth sulfate
dimethicone
disodium cocoamphodiacetate
sodium chloride
cetyl alcohol

Professional products are not made 'by hairdressers for hairdressers', shampoos are formulated by cosmetic chemists. The chemistry doesn't change between the two products.

Some silicones are less water soluble than others, however their job is make the hair more hydrophobic. This prevents the hair from going frizzy in humid conditions. There is no plastic coating through.

I'm saying that you can find the same ingredients in both products, that is in no way factually incorrect. Compare the top six ingredients in these two products:

L’Oreal Professionel *Vitamino Color Shampoo, £34 litre
aqua (water)
dimethicone (silicone)

aqua
sodium *laureth sulfate
dimethicone
sodium chloride
cetyl alcohol

Professional products are not made 'by hairdressers for hairdressers', shampoos are formulated by cosmetic chemists. The chemistry doesn't change between the two products.

Some silicones are less water soluble than others, however their job is make the hair more hydrophobic. This prevents the hair from going frizzy in humid conditions. There is no plastic coating through.
I completely agree <3

My understanding as taught by Paul Mitchell was that OTC products contain inferior products, the surfactants used are often Ammonium laureth sulfate being the worst ( as used in Pantene ) the silicones are a cheaper version that doesn't break down as easily, hence causing heaviness and build-up and the silicones they use are negatively charged, as is dirt and dust...therefore the hair gets dirtier more quickly and you need to use more product more frequently ( clever hey?! )

Do you find your hair is cleaner for longer using pro products? That's the comment I hear most frequently from my clients, so coincidence I don't know?
OTC products are diluted with far more water and they are designed to be a cosmetic product - primarily working within the cuticle level. A pro product is designed to penetrate into the cortex depositing protein or moisture as needed.

If you have Virgin hair that is in immaculate condition you could probably just about get away with using an OTC product, but who does these days ?!

I have also had issues with colour not lifting properly and most likely the presence of metallic salts ( foils getting very hot and bleach liquefying ) with OTC shampoos and conditioners. They are just horrible.

I haven't researched as to whether or not this is all scientifically correct, please correct me if I am wrong. Just what I was taught in the salon, although it could of course be a great way to shift more retail ;)

What do professionals think of agadir argan oil shampoo and conditioner. It is sulphate and paraben free. I have recently discovered it and my hair has never been shinier and less frizzy??

Ive done a course with plush folly on surfactants; this really gave me a insight to what was in shampoos, body washes etc.

As someone thats made my own shampoo, i can truely say the difference is the quality of sourced indrediants. Different oils, thickners and silicones, scents etc. The % is dependened on how indulgent you want it...... And in my opinion, you can make your own indulgent pro product. I think the quality in pro products is very noticable compared with OTC products. Majority of the indredients may be the same but the overall condition afterwards is vastly different- due to the labeling laws of what is acceptable to retail. Thats why professional products are made and formulated to retail in a professional environment- as they contain higher % that have been signed of by a cosmetic chemist. hths xoxo

This is all really interesting. More scientific threads like this please, and those of you who know your chemistry speak up! We should all know a bit more about the science behind the products we are selling :)

I would like to know the difference with all products not just shampoos for example we had stock loreal mythic oil and a client would ask what the difference between the professional on and the loreal extraordinary oil available in super markets was. There is a £5/6 difference yet when I looked at the ingredients (from what I can remember) they where the same if not very similar

Definitely all about the kerastase. I stayed at my friends last night and forgot my conditioner. Had to use his dove conditioner (for damaged hair LOL) and it looks like an Afro!! Absolutely hideous. Re washed it soon as I got in the door.

L&#146;Oreal Professionel *Vitamino Color Shampoo, £34 litre
aqua (water)
dimethicone (silicone)

aqua
sodium *laureth sulfate
dimethicone
sodium chloride
cetyl alcohol

My apologies, I was talking in more simplified terms and obviously didnt need too, the main point I was making is its not necessarily the ingredients themselves that are dissimilar but the quality of said ingredients and the concentration of those put in.

Salon pro are designed specifically for all different hair types, and as stated by another pro to replace proteins and amino acids through to the cortex level of the hair rather than sit on the top. Just using them you tell the difference straight off.

But seriously if OTC prods where good we'd all stock them and make a fortune. Why waste time trying to educate our customers on the benefits if there were none?

My chosen range are around the 30 mark for a litre of shampoo which will last used correctly a good year, conditioner almost 2 if not 2! So this actually works out a lot more cost effective over the 2 years than cheaper less concentrated products that don't even do your hair any good and cause you to spend more as you wash your hair more, fade your colour faster and/or cause it to struggle to take in the first place, leave your hair porus (as kiwi or almond whichever 1 or 2 proteins / amino acids they've chosen to use don't fix your hair on their own when each hair is made up of 19 amino acids) which also means your colour will fade quickly, also split easier as its is still weaker than it should be.

For the consumer though its so baffling as there is such an array of choice and wondrous marketing claims with OTC products. I must be using pro products wrong though coz I'm lucky if my salon bought shampoo and conditioner lasts a month - your big salon sizes last 2 years?!!!!!

I'm only using a 50p size of product and only washing once so why doesn't it last like yours? What's the secret ? ;)

For the consumer though its so baffling as there is such an array of choice and wondrous marketing claims with OTC products. I must be using pro products wrong though coz I'm lucky if my salon bought shampoo and conditioner lasts a month - your big salon sizes last 2 years?!!!!!

I'm only using a 50p size of product and only washing once so why doesn't it last like yours? What's the secret ? ;)

Do you have a family and leave it in your bathroom? Or do you have masses of hair? Or is your hair still dripping when you apply? Or do you wash it every day?

A litre is a 1000ml most retail sizes are 250/300ml meaning should last if equivalent a third of the time, so 3-4 months shampoo based on the fact most people do 2 shampoos to 1 condition, conditioner or the same size should always last almost double the shampoo, I always advise on a 10 pence piece size of conditioner, its a hard habit to get into but works, ensure you have squeezed the water out of your hair first and if you can even squeeze with a towel otherwise you're watering it down, apply mid lengths to ends, give a comb through leave a min or 2 if instructed too on the reverse, and rinse well, when you think it's all out, rinse another minute. Don't ruffle your hair with a towel, always squeeze but don't rub it :)

If you are doing this check the size of the bottle, and whoever else has access to them, so many of my ladies found that removing them from the bathroom meant they lasted longer.... Husbands like to use them too lol. My bf uses my range and loves them! 300ml cond is currently still going a year on... I use it more than he does. I have my shampoo and cond everywhere. My friends who I go out with, at home, at bfs.

If your struggling to get a litre to last a month.... I have no suggestions other than someone else is stealing it! As mine at the back wash I replace every 4 months.... The one I use on almost everyone.

Do you have a family and leave it in your bathroom? Or do you have masses of hair? Or is your hair still dripping when you apply? Or do you wash it every day?

A litre is a 1000ml most retail sizes are 250/300ml meaning should last if equivalent a third of the time, so 3-4 months shampoo based on the fact most people do 2 shampoos to 1 condition, conditioner or the same size should always last almost double the shampoo, I always advise on a 10 pence piece size of conditioner, its a hard habit to get into but works, ensure you have squeezed the water out of your hair first and if you can even squeeze with a towel otherwise you're watering it down, apply mid lengths to ends, give a comb through leave a min or 2 if instructed too on the reverse, and rinse well, when you think it's all out, rinse another minute. Don't ruffle your hair with a towel, always squeeze but don't rub it :)

If you are doing this check the size of the bottle, and whoever else has access to them, so many of my ladies found that removing them from the bathroom meant they lasted longer.... Husbands like to use them too lol. My bf uses my range and loves them! 300ml cond is currently still going a year on... I use it more than he does. I have my shampoo and cond everywhere. My friends who I go out with, at home, at bfs.

If your struggling to get a litre to last a month.... I have no suggestions other than someone else is stealing it! As mine at the back wash I replace every 4 months.... The one I use on almost everyone.

Haha nobody's stealing it as its kept in my drawer in my bedroom where nobody knows it is ;)

I always blot with a towel before applying conditioner but will try before applying shampoo also. Ill also try using a 10p size dollop instead. I've only got fine shoulder length hair. Coz I was getting through the bottles so fast that's what was putting me off if buying them but if I can make them last longer it will justify the price. Thanks for your advice x

Have I picked you up wrong or do you go through a litre bottle in one month??? My gosh!! I don't even get through a 250ml in a month and I have extremely thick hair down past my bra strap!

So what's the best pro shampoo for someone that has coloured hair that washes ot daily? X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

So what's the best pro shampoo for someone that has coloured hair that washes ot daily? X

My best advice would be to get out of shampooing daily..... It's a vicious circle... By shampooing it daily you are actually stimulation the glands and making the roots more greasy meanwhile drying out the ends..
At first it will be hard to not shampoo every day but with persistence you're hair and scalp will adjust..

I love and recommend pureology products... No sulphites, they're dual benefit in that they are all designed to minimise colour fade while having a dual benefit ( volume, hydrate, repair, smooth or precious oil for the brittlest hair) ;)

My best advice would be to get out of shampooing daily..... It's a vicious circle... By shampooing it daily you are actually stimulation the glands and making the roots more greasy meanwhile drying out the ends..
At first it will be hard to not shampoo every day but with persistence you're hair and scalp will adjust..

I love and recommend pureology products... No sulphites, they're dual benefit in that they are all designed to minimise colour fade while having a dual benefit ( volume, hydrate, repair, smooth or precious oil for the brittlest hair) ;)

Thank you

I know I should bur I can't :( it's like an addiction haha. I have tried in the past and failed :( my skin is so greasy that it makes my fringe greasy and I've tried just washing my fringe and I can't. I feel like a skank if I shower without washing my hair. When I tried in the past. I'd go to work and by the time lunch time came I felt so gross I would go home and wash it at lunch haha. I'm never going to get out of this cycle.

So I'll start by purchasing a good shampoo ;) lol xxx

Thank you

I know I should bur I can't :( it's like an addiction haha. I have tried in the past and failed :( my skin is so greasy that it makes my fringe greasy and I've tried just washing my fringe and I can't. I feel like a skank if I shower without washing my hair. When I tried in the past. I'd go to work and by the time lunch time came I felt so gross I would go home and wash it at lunch haha. I'm never going to get out of this cycle.

Maybe you could try a dry shampoo? :)
Pureology is really nice, but maybe Bain Divalent from Kerastase is a better option for now? It's for oily scalps and dry/sensitised ends x

Thank you

What shampoo you using just now?

I'm not a hairdresser but I'm glad I found this thread I've tried so many different shampoos from the supermarkets & my hair is always greasy :( I wash it blow dry & it's greasy! Think I'm going to try the pro stuff

I'm not a hairdresser but I'm glad I found this thread I've tried so many different shampoos from the supermarkets & my hair is always greasy :( I wash it blow dry & it's greasy! Think I'm going to try the pro stuff

Beauty geeks will get hair products at the suppliers at cost so it prob works out cheaper than OTC anyway
I like the osmo moisture shampoo, conditioner and treatment it's not expensive and it's a good range for clients that don't want to spend a fortune

Latest posts

Back