Bad week

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holistikat

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Im having a bit of a bad week and feeling a bit rubbish about myself, Iv been in business for 3 years but still sometimes I feel like im not good enough! :(

On Monday I did a set of gelish hard gel extensions (using tips) for my neighbour, I only retrained with nail harmony for hard gel in march, and although I love gelish gel polish (been using it since October) I still get nervous with hard gel as I don't get asked for that many.
Anyway I thought Id done a nice job, she was really happy, and they looked great, she posted them on facebook and loads of interest.
However on Tuesday night she text to say she had lost one but didn't know how it happened, so I fixed it by sculpting, then on Wednesday she lost 2 more when dying her hair by squeezing a really hard bottle, so I repaired them by sculpting too.
She is on medication so I did wonder if that may be a cause, and I told her that if she had any more problems I would remove them all FOC and do a set of gelish to see how she got on with that. She promised she would let me know if she had any more problems and iv not heard anything, but im still really worried that shes lost more :/

Then today one of my regulars had gelish with some decal art which I do all the time with no problems, only just has just sent me a message to say shes lost one. Shes been lovely and iv offered to repair FOC but shes said its not my fault (im sure it must be) and not mentioned having it repaired again.

Im just feeling a bit rubbish about myself now, I hate thinking iv not done a good job and want my customers to be happy.

I very very rarely have complaints and now iv had 2 in one week :(

I don't know why iv said she lost them, she didn't they broke at corner of the tip. I think I needed to add more strength at the side walls maybe? x

Hello!!
U answered your own question..... If they not lifting and just breaking or chipping maybe your working to thin... Don't get disheartened!!! Mayb try round up a few friends to practise on .... Practise makes perfect!!!! Mayb they heavy handed n perhaps it's not your fault xxxx

Just wanted to give you some encouragement since I know that feeling. I know how disheartening these problems can be but you said that you rarely get complaints so try to take these two in stride. Don't be so quick to assume it's your fault and fix for free. Geeg posted a great article about developing confidence in your work and handling clients but I don't know how to post a link to it. Hopefully a more computer savvy geek can help out. Anyway, I hope you have a better week coming up, hugs.

People break nails ! You can't hold yourself responsible unless you know you are! If you feel your application lacks strength in certain areas then it is up to you to correct the problem. If it is a case of clients not being used to their new nails and extra length then make the nails shorter or stronger as needed.

Building a relationship with your client and making the adjustments needed along the way is the most important part of our work as nail technicians. Everyones nails and how they use their hands are unique to them. Now you can tackle that two ways!

1. Do thick-looking nails on everyone to ensure they never break ... Or ...

2. Do nails that look as natural as possible but still have the strength that your individual client needs.

Option 2 takes more thought, more skills and perhaps a little tweak here and there during the 'getting to know you' phase of your client/technician relationship until you get it just right.

So don't see breaks etc as your failure ! See it as an opportunity that you have to get things right for your client and she will love you forever .... It's a partnership.

Oh ... And another thing ... Lol ... You may have not built the nails quite strong enough, but nails still don't break unless they are hit against something first ... So ... The first thing I always would look at would be the length because clearly a client is not coping if they are bashing their nails into things.

Last edited:
So don't see breaks etc as your failure ! See it as an opportunity that you have to get things right for your client and she will love you forever .... It's a partnership.

What a brilliant answer! I'm keeping that in my mind for the future x

You know, I felt like this initially with a particular client, but after the same to kept breaking, i then asked more questions about how she did things, turns out she has to do a particular procedure at work which involves exposure to chemicals (small amounts) and she never wears gloves.........so I asked her to wear gloves and see how she got on.......bingo gloves on and problem sorted.......so the example I've given is that it had nothing to do with my ability as a technician......don't doubt yourself and your skills like Geeg said.....keep at it xxxxx

Aw thank you for the lovely replies.

Shee did admit that she's very heavy handed and offer payment for repair so maybe not my fault but I do think I could be better at extentions so ill keep working on them. Its one thing I always dread doing, it used to be a french polish or gelish that I dreaded but I kept practosing and now I love doing them so im sure ill build more confidence if I don't give up x

Latest posts

Back