Balayage/ombré

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K8's

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm just curious to hear what your techniques are for balayage and ombrés? Do you use a spatula for balayage or just back of hand? Do you apply dark root colour and light ends for ombré at the same time? Do you tease the hair? What works best for you all? Xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1426530910.203157.jpg
Hi could anyone give me some ideas to achieve this look technique wise? I would be grateful for some inspiration xx

Everyone has their own technique on the way they do their ombré and balayage. YouTube has some good videos

I'm interested in people thoughts on this I'm I was thinking as starting in root regrowth & pulling the colour to the mid lengths, then balagye & maybe smudge Inbetween not sure weather to backcomb section first

It looks more like ballyage right??x

Everyone has their own technique on the way they do their ombré and balayage. YouTube has some good videos

👍 I love watching you tube, think I get bit confused like you say lots of different ways. Like to know the simplest way x

With balayage you just paint surface layers don't you? That's how you get the darker coming through? I have only really done the back combing technique for ombré so just a bit nervous. All help welcome x

Sorry my way must have sounded really odd I was meaning if your incorporating a darker shade at the roots

I normally do my dark root colour in small sections a few inches down the hair, then a colour abit lighter and then the lightest at the ends, I did a girls last wk, where I needed 2 bleach and tone, so I applied the bleach with my other 2 colours then toned wen wet at the end, sometimes depending on what colour there hair is, I don't always use a middle colour! Im interested in the post 2 as I'm doin balayage on Friday, she has c.t 5.5 normally, naturally dark and shiny, I'm goin to need 2 pre-lighten the bits I would like 2 end up as a 7/47 and not sure what technique 2 use 4 this! Am thinkin pre-lighten my balayage bits 1st, wash then, apply my c.t 4/57 and 7/47 on the pre lightened bits? X

I agree, I think everyone has their own way of doing it! I use my hand and then lay a piece of foil between each section

Last edited:
👍 I love watching you tube, think I get bit confused like you say lots of different ways. Like to know the simplest way x

Balyage is a technique, onbre more describes a result. I think the confusion comes in because of "the balyage driven ombre". Watch the free salon education video on youtube and follow that if you feel insecure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with watching Youtube. There is a colorist from Chicago that does a really good basic video. I watch so many of these when I can't sleep. I find them soothing!

On long hair, I cannot imagine only using your hand. I use my hand for extra coverage at the ends of hair and when I need to reapply in certain areas. But you need the firmness of a paddle so it's not blotchy for main application. I see balayage like a dance. A tango if you will. You need everything to come together correctly to make a beautiful end result. A paddle supports the hair and the brush with lightener meets it to cover strands of hair in the best way possible.

I use a traditional balayage paddle, but also several others that are not from a supplier. Love browsing smaller hardware stores. That's where I buy most of my paddles. These pictured are two I love from a hardware store. I find if I need to only pick out smaller pieces of hair to paint, the longer thin one is amazing. (Actually that paddle is not pictured. It's a long thin plastic that is used to stir paint. For me, if I use too wide a paddle for super thin sections, sometimes I pick up too much hair.

tools.jpg

Just done a balayage on quite long hair what do you guys think feedback would be great :) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1426777610.075526.jpg

Looks lovely and natural. What colour did you use?
Can you use more than one colour doing this technique?

She was a base 6 so she had a really nice natural base colour for balayage, so just done bleach with 6% at the back & 9% on the front, I'm gutted I could have used a highlift tint as she was completely natural so wanted to keep it that way :)

Can you do a brown base at the same time if you wanted to? I always do the full head colour then go in after I have washed off tint and dried it but it takes soooo long! Does anyone do it all in one shot? Any tips? Xx

Can you do a brown base at the same time if you wanted to? I always do the full head colour then go in after I have washed off tint and dried it but it takes soooo long! Does anyone do it all in one shot? Any tips? Xx

You can, but it'd be quite messy and you couldn't really saturate too much with the colour first off or the lightener will just absorb.

Over done it with a root regrowth then full head foils with brown base & balayaged Inbetween foils but doesn't get the full ombré effect on ends just balayage lights running through

Latest posts

Back