Balayage-what's your technique?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolled up

Reaction score
Hi all :) had a new client come to me this morning for a consultation. She has base 6 hair around 3" regrowth (colour is pretty much the same as her natural) and she is wanting balayage highlights. Now I've never done this before but im going to drag my block out and have a practice. Has anyone got any tips they could tell me? Thanks xx

Hi all :) had a new client come to me this morning for a consultation. She has base 6 hair around 3" regrowth (colour is pretty much the same as her natural) and she is wanting balayage highlights. Now I've never done this before but im going to drag my block out and have a practice. Has anyone got any tips they could tell me? Thanks xx
Ive not done it yet either but just found some really good links on youtube. Some a bit different but you can always adjust the techniques to suit you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuaZ3c1fj5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAchJve-02o

I use the same technique as the woman on you tube chictv. The result is really nice.

don't do this ... Balayage Haircolor Technique Demo - YouTube ... it creates terrible looking chunky racing stripes in the hair.

this is how balayage is really supposed to be done -

The Art and Science of Balayage: Nowlin Roberts Salon | San Antonio Texas - YouTube

Balayage Highlights - YouTube

i highly, highly suggest using a lightener like L'Oreal Platinium. it makes a world of difference. the texture is perfect and its creamier consistency doesn't dry out as quickly like regular powder lighteners. i think balayage gets a bad rep from stylists who don't properly modify their bleach mixture/application to compensate for the open air aspect of balayage - and u end up with a brassy, sloppy mess.

also, always remember to drop the product off on the mid-shaft and feather it up making the application finer and finer towards the root.

don't do this ... Balayage Haircolor Technique Demo - YouTube ... it creates terrible looking chunky racing stripes in the hair.

this is how balayage is really supposed to be done -

The Art and Science of Balayage: Nowlin Roberts Salon | San Antonio Texas - YouTube

Balayage Highlights - YouTube

i highly, highly suggest using a lightener like L'Oreal Platinium. it makes a world of difference. the texture is perfect and its creamier consistency doesn't dry out as quickly like regular powder lighteners. i think balayage gets a bad rep from stylists who don't properly modify their bleach mixture/application to compensate for the open air aspect of balayage - and u end up with a brassy, sloppy mess.

also, always remember to drop the product off on the mid-shaft and feather it up making the application finer and finer towards the root.
the last you tube link is the same as how I do mine. Result is lovely.

Really liked the last video. So is this ideal for those who want colour but not roots? I've never seen it some or had a client ask but of course have heard of it x

Latest posts

Back