Bank card machine vs WorldPay Zinc in small home based salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaraBeauty

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm opening up a salon on the side of my house in a month and was wondering if anyone has used WorldPay zinc before? And if it's better than having a card machine from the bank as worried about charges, fees and being stuck in a contract with the bank, whereas WorldPay you only buy handset for £59 with no contract or charges.

Has anyone had any problems, what would you recommend? X

I've just gone with a company called retail merchant service which are fab! If you are going to do less than £1350 a month on credit & debit cards alone. Then this is the best deal machine rental £14.95 a month, all cards 2.95%
1 off fee for GPRS sim £25
Till rolls£15 (will last a couple of years)
As part of this you get free legal advice for personal and business, free Tax & Vat investigation insurance amongst many other benefits. Normally this terminal is £31.95 a month and because it is GPRS you get signal almost anywhere and costs nothing to run.
Inbox me if anyone's interested I can give you the Reps number x

I use worldpay zinc. Card machine arrived within 2 days of appyling online. Only problem I have is the machine only holds enough charge to take about 3 payments, I'm not sure if it's faulty or not I keep meaning to ring them. It only comes with a uv charger so but of a pain I have to take the plug from my iPhone charger into work to use with the cable.
I had an email from sum up the other day tho, they said they've lowered their charges from the general 2.75 to 1.95% so maybe try them?
I was going to sign up to them ages ago but they wanted a solicitor/accountant/bank to sign proof of identity and I couldn't be bothered with the messing lol, don't think they do that now x

I use worldpay zinc. Card machine arrived within 2 days of appyling online. Only problem I have is the machine only holds enough charge to take about 3 payments, I'm not sure if it's faulty or not I keep meaning to ring them. It only comes with a uv charger so but of a pain I have to take the plug from my iPhone charger into work to use with the cable.
I had an email from sum up the other day tho, they said they've lowered their charges from the general 2.75 to 1.95% so maybe try them?
I was going to sign up to them ages ago but they wanted a solicitor/accountant/bank to sign proof of identity and I couldn't be bothered with the messing lol, don't think they do that now x

GaynorE - if you search for World Pay Zinc you'll see a message from the Worldpay Zinc rep saying they have problems with their charging cables.

WorldPay Zinc customers should be getting a new card reader in October when they relaunch the service so hang fire :biggrin:

Sorry, and to OP, yes go with WorldPay Zinc rather than a landline machine.

My charges for the Landline version were over £30 per month, including a discount on monthly rental via my Bank Account, whereas my Zinc machine costs me £10 a month on their PAYG All You Can Eat tariff.

It works via my home Wifi no absolutely no issues with connection, I'm a very happy customer with Zinc. I've been with Worldpay for about 10 years as they supplied my landline machine before moving to zinc.

I use sumup so I'm please they've lowered their fees!! You do have to prove you are a business when you sign up but if you are a business then you have all the correct paperwork so it's not a problem! I love their low fees and the machine and app are free

My card machine is really good, i pay £53.82 per quarter never had a problem, had it over a year now, i am with cardsave x

Can We take over the phone payments with the worldpay zinc machine? I just got mine set up it was a fast service

Yes you can take over the phone payments with worldpay zinc. I have found them to be be great. What I really like is that you are able to change between the various tariffs if you need to. I pay £12.99 on their all you can eat plan but if I have a quiet month or just haven't taken a lot of card payments I can switch to no monthly fee but 2.75% per transaction x

Luckily I was in my 14 days cool off period with my bank card machine so cancelled it and sent it back, now have my WorldPay zinc machine, looking forward to using it :) thanks for ur responses guys, I will report back. Also will post new thread for u to get £10 off the handset if anyone wants to sign up so look out for my post x

Hey guys,

If your thinking of getting a WorldPay zinc handset I can get you £20 off for referring you, just follow either of the following ways...

Enter promo code: FR922864

Or

Use this URL: http://wpayzinc.me/n2ag9VzYPV

Or

On step 5 of application enter: Serendipitysg85ht

Last edited by a moderator:
GaynorE - if you search for World Pay Zinc you'll see a message from the Worldpay Zinc rep saying they have problems with their charging cables.

WorldPay Zinc customers should be getting a new card reader in October when they relaunch the service so hang fire :biggrin:

Update

I thought I'd update my post above as it's now the first week of November and no sign of a new card reader :|

I called Worldpay Zinc this morning and was advised that the migration to the new servers had hit some issues and was delayed, hence no issue of new card readers. They have, however, arranged to send me a new card reader today to tide me over until the new ones come out.

For those of us suffering with charging problems, I suggest giving them a call for a replacement. I paid £50 for the reader and it started failing within a few months, it's not acceptable, especially when Worldpay are aware of the issues.

Latest posts

Back