Barbering

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonJo

Reaction score
Me and my partner are both thinking of a career change, training in barbering and just gradually changing career. I understand this will not be easy but want to get into something we love rather than jobs we not enjoy. My partner has been a head chef for 11 years and me a waitress barmaid and extension technician.

So my question is

What's the best barbering course? Is it worth getting into? And people who wanted to do it and then did it, is it what you thought?

Just would love to hear some barbering experiences really!

Thanks x

Me and my partner are both thinking of a career change, training in barbering and just gradually changing career. I understand this will not be easy but want to get into something we love rather than jobs we not enjoy. My partner has been a head chef for 11 years and me a waitress barmaid and extension technician.

So my question is

What's the best barbering course? Is it worth getting into? And people who wanted to do it and then did it, is it what you thought?

Just would love to hear some barbering experiences really!

Thanks x

Congrats on deciding that hairdressing is the career you want to peruse.

First off, you can’t learn barbering in one week, or any short amount of time the companies offer.

Secondly, you need a good understanding of hair, I would suggest you go to college, and get your Hairdressing Level 2 qualification.

Men’s hair is difficult for most people, as it usually follows AFTER women’s hair. Scissor over comb and clipper work is a technique that takes years to master even for the best of us, and there is nothing worse that annoys me, when I see men’s hair with lines, due to un-proper blending.

It’s a big goal your aiming for, but if you’re willing to work hard, cry at odd times, and even scream then you’ll become a great Hairdresser. :)

Thanks for that advice! :) much appreciated! X

hi Hun

I trained in barbering after being a beauty therapist for years. I chose a college course that I got a diploma in mens hairdressing at the end of it. took me 1 year part time. I then took 2 years out to have children and I'm finding I need to refresh my skills.

But I can safely say that other people on the course went straight inti employment and some even opened their own business.

Great rates of pay for barbering too.

I'm going back to college in September to do the ladies hairdressing, most people do it the other way round as the previous girl said but if it's something your genuinely interested in you will learn enough skills on the course to be confident going straight into employment. I would of it I didn't have the time off since qualifying. good luck to you both x

Aw thanks for the advice also.

It's definitely something I want to do and it's something my partner has always wanted to do - why he was a chef id never know! Lol!

Thanks though! Great advice guys!

hi Hun

I trained in barbering after being a beauty therapist for years. I chose a college course that I got a diploma in mens hairdressing at the end of it. took me 1 year part time. I then took 2 years out to have children and I'm finding I need to refresh my skills.

But I can safely say that other people on the course went straight inti employment and some even opened their own business.

Great rates of pay for barbering too.

I'm going back to college in September to do the ladies hairdressing, most people do it the other way round as the previous girl said but if it's something your genuinely interested in you will learn enough skills on the course to be confident going straight into employment. I would of it I didn't have the time off since qualifying. good luck to you both x

Urm... pretty sure BBH Salon is actually a boy lol :D

ooops yes I stand corrected!
how v stereotypical of me!
apologies bbh salon lol :)

Latest posts

Back