Barbicide/Rust?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara Satchell

Reaction score
I'm doing a hat trick today with questions - I go months without asking any - then 3 in one day!

Some of my metal implements are going rusty in the Barbicide solution (- namely my very expensive Mehaz cuticle nippers!) why is this? Am I leaving them in too long? Am I making the solution too strong?

Am on my third set of nippers!!

hi the same thing happens 2 mine u should leave them in 4 about 5-10 mins then take them out.this will steralise them but they shouldnt go rusty. hth

I love this site, I was going to ask this myself my scissors have gone rusty and I saw that pen and wondered what it was for!

At the end of a working day I leave mine in for 20 mins and remove rinse and dry.

hth

Maybe you are making it too strong. we have the small barbicide desk jars which have a measure of how much to use, my tools sit in it nearly all the time and never go rusty ... just a bit blue sometimes lol!

Fab Freak said:
At the end of a working day I leave mine in for 20 mins and remove rinse and dry.

Me too.

hi guys
i stopped the use of barbacide in my salon a few years ago.
not that it doesn't work, but we had a few niggles.
1) somes parts of tools were going rusty.
2) barbicide needs to b changed very regularly if u use it repeatedly every day.
some staff got into bad habits of putting their tools into barbicide jar without cleaning them 1st. this renders the barbicide useless.
3) at least once a month, (prob the clumsy hormones!) someone would knock the stuff over, & boy does it make a mess.

we changed the barbicide to cleansing our tools with a gauze pads soaked in soapy water which we keep in a pump dispenser ( this also is used to remove cuticle remover from nails during prep).
we then spray our tools with chlorispray which is a hospital grade disinfectant.
thay are layed on a tissue to dry & then put back in the leather case.

this procedure took some getting used to, but like anything i now do it without thinking.
it really doesn't take any time at all.
this is also a great system for mobile techs who must struggle to transport barbicide.
liza x

Thats a great way to sterilise instead of using barbicide. I too have problems with clients knocking it over, and it just gets in the way in the steriliser jars! I shall be trying this out and getting my other tech to do the same and we shall see how we get on!

Barbicide WILL rust your implements. I prefer a non-rusting formula of wet sanitizer/disinfectant

Let's Touch is the brand we use in our salon. Here is the link for the website:

www.isabelcristina.com/letstouch.htm

The 32oz concentrate lasts months. We have 5 techs changing their trays two-three times a week.

just thought of another reason why we changed to cleaning & spraying... the annoying stage when u get your chosen tool out of the barbicide & u have to wipe it to soak off the drips!
blue streaks everywhere!
if you guys get on with a soaking disinfection solution, then great. however, do remember to clean the tools 1st before you immerse them into the solution.
liza x

I am with Liza on this one, I do exactly the same .............All my tools are in my leather case, nice and clean.......
I spray the tools I am going to use in front of my clients with clori-spray.....much less fuss then sanitising them barbecide...... My jar always had a life of its own at hormone time lol............But like Liza said what ever works for you xxxxx

I always used to scrub them, with a toothbrush and some washing up liquid, rinse them in hot water, then spray them and store them, but then i changed over to scrubing them, and putting them in barbicide as I felt it was more hygenic - I think i'll go back to my original method, then spray agin in front of clients..

Thanks all for the help and advice!!

we changed the barbicide to cleansing our tools with a gauze pads soaked in soapy water which we keep in a pump dispenser ( this also is used to remove cuticle remover from nails during prep).
we then spray our tools with chlorispray which is a hospital grade disinfectant.
thay are layed on a tissue to dry & then put back in the leather case.
just thought of another reason why we changed to cleaning & spraying... the annoying stage when u get your chosen tool out of the barbicide & u have to wipe it to soak off the drips!

Thanks Lisa ... I have recently started to do this for the same reasons and was going to ask if it was good enough. Now I know lol :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back