Beautician timings on treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruc123

Reaction score
am I being too harsh?? my therapist is booking out 45 mins for shellac french and iv told her she o ly needs 30 mins we have 2 lamps and to me I feel like she just booking out unnessary times ie 45 mins for a soak off 1hr and a half for nail extensions when they are quick dip?! I have been doin beauty for a long time now and every salon I have worked for have given me times I need to keep to for costs etc?!whats ure veiws?? I dont want her to lower standard but I nees to make sure shes making a profit

How experienced is your therapist? Also how are enhancements "a quick dip"?? What products do you use? Industry accepted timings for new enhancements is 1 hour 30 - some will be quicker some slower, but that is the average time.
Again 45 mins for Shellac application without removal is average.

I just think with 2 lamps 30 mins is adequate time and the therapist has been doing beauty for 5 years.. quick dip is the supernail extreme system so its not like the acrylics were you have to build them up brush on liquid and dip

am I being too harsh?? my therapist is booking out 45 mins for shellac french and iv told her she o ly needs 30 mins we have 2 lamps and to me I feel like she just booking out unnessary times ie 45 mins for a soak off 1hr and a half for nail extensions when they are quick dip?! I have been doin beauty for a long time now and every salon I have worked for have given me times I need to keep to for costs etc?!whats ure veiws?? I dont want her to lower standard but I nees to make sure shes making a profit

Yes, you are being too harsh. If she was taking hours then yes, have words but why wouldn't she be making a profit? What sort of prices do you charge?

£25 for extensions and £20 for shellac I cant put prices higher because of were we are situated...

I would say this sounds absolutely fine! I've been in this industry for 15 yrs & I take 1.5 hrs for a full set of l&p or gel (forever French though) & I take about 1hr for shellac! What you don't want to risk doing is putting the pressure on this girl & compromising the quality of her treatments, because she is worried about her timings & rushing!

I dont do extensions but I think 45 mins for shellac is fine - you don't want her to rush it, do a bad job and lose clients.

It all depends on if your shellac is including cuticle work too or just a file and application of the gel? I would say 45 minutes is average to do cuticles file and prep of the gel and application. What does your treatment include? X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I include cuticles shape and gel application? what about extensions I use to take 1 hour half for hard gels and acrylics but quick dips I was always told an hour?

I don't do extensions anymore but I think 40-45 minutes is acceptable for shellac. You don't want her to rush her treatments and cause problems with the gel and then you will have disappointed clients!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I allow myself 45 minutes for a shellac, because the PEP has to be so thorough I wouldn't want to rush or preform only an 'adequate' treatment. And I give myself 1 hour for french - because sometimes it just doesn't want to work.

From my point of view, a previous boss of mine in a salon reduced our treatments times and because of this we were forever running late (according to clients appt times). I also felt rushed, and would find myself panicking. From a. Client prospective I wouldn't want to feel rushed either.

Have you thought about asking her? I know if my boss would have asked me I would have felt a lot more included in the decision. She might feel she could complete it within 30 minutes but is allowed 45 minutes so fills it. Just a. Thought :)

Timing was the most important thing in the salon where I was working previously.
When everyone was punctual, had correct money, didn't engage in friendly chat, wasn't interested in retail purchases, not ready to rebook, things ran smoothly.
When I had clients asking about other treatments, interested in product purchases, re booking months of appointments, it was utter chaos.
The stress was killing me, the clients were unhappy about being moved on too quickly, and I was copping it for not re booking when I was already running way over time. Usually by the end of the day with no time to even pop to the bathroom much less eat lunch, I'd end up hating the place.
Now I run my own business, and factor in all of the above including chat time. I have happy clients that know I value them and they spread the word.
In 6 months I've built a little business that is looking quite healthy so far, and will always concentrate on a quality service rather than obsessing over deadlines.
I suppose it depends on your priorities. Mine are client happiness and satisfaction, altho I would probably be making more money in the short term by shoving then out the door.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

The CND Educator who did my course yesterday said that she struggles to do Shellac in less than 45 mins

Better to take longer and do a better job. If a client feels rushed they won't be coming back! x

We allow 50 mins for shellac and 1 hour if there's a removal to too (1.5hrs for gel & L&P). Our whole ethos though is for the client to have a great experience - we chat, upsell, rebook etc without having to feel rushed on either parties side. It's early days for us so we're not back to back most of the time but so far it's working and clients and staff are happy :o)

I give myself 45 mins for shellac (cuticle work included) and 1hr for removal and I find that this is fine, I feel comfortable with this time frame so therefore my client feels comfortable, I would rather leave a little more time so I can have a good natter with my client, personally I feel if I was pushed to do it under 30 mins I would feel rushed and probably wouldn't talk to my client as much as i would be too worried about timing! I think it's better to leave more time so client's doesn't feel rushed, better chance of them rebooking

As a salon owner, I have to say we are more than generous with time. We allow an hour for Shellac, which may or may not include removal. If it doesn't, the client may get a cuppa as we have a bit of time. If the client wants a brow tidy or a bit of waxing, that tends to be done while the Shellacs are coming off.

I'm afraid I'm with most other posters on here. There is far more to my services than my timings. I may be able to make a bit more money if I sped everybody up, but we retail shed loads of products which we simply couldn't do if we had less time. We also try and rebook all out clients personally, and often have time to encourage them to more treatments than just Shellac.

If she is a good worker, I would want to keep her and would allow her the time she requires.

Do you have other staff doing it in much less time, or is she your only one?

Vicki x

45 minutes is perfect for gel polish application only - Here, if it's just for a simple manicure I give one hour, an extra 20 mins for removal, an extra 10 for massage and exfoliation, an extra 10-15 for design or french. A gel mani can take anywhere from 1h up to almost 1h45 minute if a client of ours is getting the works (removal+ prep application with cuticle work+design+massage and exfoliation) and then clean up and setting up.

I rather give my girls a little extra time for perfection, and have a great reputation for the work and precision we do, then to be know for being quick and having our clients out the door fast. Your business will make way more money if you have more happy customers returning then if they're coming only because your known for being quick and cheap.....

And look at it this way, maybe she's slower then you are but it's because she cares about the work she does, and her clientele, which will completely work in your benefit!!!. It's a good thing! Too many employees out there who don't care so much. :). As for extensions, I can't comment much because we don't do them here.

i use geleration and i can take between 20-30 minutes for application, 30-45 for removal and replace. this is including cuticle work, i dont know anyone experienced that would take 45 minutes for application alone! (i have a very large client base so yes, its applied correctly! :p)

I would block out 45 mins or an hour for removal too, possibly more if it's s client who likes nail art.

I pride myself on good, neat work and I wouldn't ever want my clients to feel like I'm rushing!

I think if you can do a perfect job in that time then good for you, but if your staff aren't comfortable then wouldn't you rather give them an extra 15 minutes to do a perfect job than a rush job with unhappy clients

x

Latest posts

Back