Beauticians - Rates of Pay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hsmith

Reaction score
Hi All

As some of you know im venturing in opening a beauty salon - having been successul with a nail salon for 18 months. As for the world of nails I know a lot - but when it comes to beauty then all I know can be written on a stamp. I am hoping to employ a beautician but have no idea what sort of money they can command.

Can any of you out there give me a rough guideline on what sort of pay this job is - bearing in mind that I am in a little market town in Norfolk. I can understand that more experienced beauticians can command more than newly qualified ones (I hope anyway). Just need some guidance please.

your help would be greatly appreciated.

Heidi

Hi ya Heidi,
Why not rent the space to her on a % base...................
The better she is the more you both earn...........she wont be sitting around waiting for clients to turn up, she will be out there getting them in.............
Because it is her time and money wasted if she doesn't...............
Just a thought Hun xxxxx

I don't know if all this is true for your area - there are bound to be differences, but in my experience it is rare for beauty therapists to be actually employed by a salon. Most of the time they will either rent the room or a % will be taken. There are pros and cons for each route.
Paid - more control, and more responsibilites and expense. All profits are yours, so lots of clients=lots of money, but few clients and it'll cost ya. Hassle to set up.
Rent - easy to set up, lots of money even if few clients, less or least control. If many clients you may lose out. Least responsiblity.
% - balanced for more or less clients, quite fair, dependant on % agreed upon. Some control, some responsibilites.
Obviously if you pay them you will have to pay them AT LEAST minimum wage. Could vary according to experience and what benefits you choose to give them. £6.50 an hour?

Have just been talking to a salon owner with a view to doing some part time work (beauty) at hours to suit me hopefully! As it wasn't a job interview as such, more me offering my services to them, then it was quite a weird situation!

Anyway, I was put on the spot when he asked me how much I wanted to be paid! I feel that an hourly rate will probably undersell me as I have over 20 years experience and so suggested commission only. I want a higher rate than hourly, but do not want to be in the salon if there's no work and therefore not earning. He is speaking to his business partner, but in the meantime what might be a realistic % commission to ask for?

Do-it-all Deb said:
Have just been talking to a salon owner with a view to doing some part time work (beauty) at hours to suit me hopefully! As it wasn't a job interview as such, more me offering my services to them, then it was quite a weird situation!

Anyway, I was put on the spot when he asked me how much I wanted to be paid! I feel that an hourly rate will probably undersell me as I have over 20 years experience and so suggested commission only. I want a higher rate than hourly, but do not want to be in the salon if there's no work and therefore not earning. He is speaking to his business partner, but in the meantime what might be a realistic % commission to ask for?

Hi

If he is supplying the products and paying all the bills i would say 40% would be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back