beauty therapy course evening/weekend???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldigga

Reaction score
Hi there,I am 27yrs old,I have 2 sons,one is 5yrs and at school and the other 4mths. I was made redundant from my job when i was pregnant with my 2nd son so now thinking about a new career in beauty therapy as ive always wanted to do it since leaving school but never got to,theres a few problems tho....2 to be exact lol...the kids and i cant afford childcare to go to college and not entitled to any funding as my hubby makes a "decent" wage Grrrr...:evil: so unfair that i am not entitled to no help all because he works,i just wan to better myself and get back to work so now am now looking for any advice on any evening/part time/flexi courses in my area or anywhere in scotland as i really want this,please any advice would be great

xxx:Love:xxx

Hi, I was in the exact same boat as you last year, 2 kids made redundant when on maternity with the second and decided to do something I really wanted to do. I trained with Caledonian Therapy Academy, they do weekend courses. Louisetherapy on here owns the company, have a look at their website they are based in Glasgow but have other venues in Scotland as well. hth :biggrin:

Annie

Hi, I was in the exact same boat as you last year, 2 kids made redundant when on maternity with the second and decided to do something I really wanted to do. I trained with Caledonian Therapy Academy, they do weekend courses. Louisetherapy on here owns the company, have a look at their website they are based in Glasgow but have other venues in Scotland as well. hth :biggrin:

Annie

Hi If you would like any course info please pm me. Louise x

Hiya

Are you registered unemployed? (even if you're not actively looking for work)

You should then get JSA, but the most important is being registered unemployed because if you're registered unemployed you should be able to get funding at your local college for what ever course you choose.

I was unemployed for a few months in 2006, and managed to register on an eving make up course, which inspired me to do L2 beauty therapy on a saturday when i was unemployed in summer 2007.

Hope this helps?

Rebecca

Thanks everyone for your replies,unfortunately Becca am not entitled to JSA because i only worked 16hr before i was made redundant and therefore did not pay enough NI contributions and because my husbands income is above the guidlines,so when my MA allowance finishes in June we are in trouble:| i really wanted to go and study at college but the cost of childcare and afterschool care plus my course fees all costs more than we could afford,its so unfair that you cannot learn a skill to help you get a job! Thanks Toni and Louise i will have a look but i don't think i can afford the fees :irked: xx

Have you tried ILA Scotland www.ilascotland.org.uk for help with funding? It is a Scottish Government Scheme that provides funding £200 - £500 towards approved courses. Most courses at my local college whether full, part-time or evening are approved. You would qualify if you have an income of less than £22,000 a year (your husbands income is not included).

Hi linylin

I thought my husbands income was looked at because he makes more than 30,000 a year so i didnt think i would have been entitled,but i will look into it

yeah, deffo make the phonecall re jobseekers: you just answer a series of questions and then they answer based on that...like you may be entitled to a fraction of a weekly JSA allowance even if not the potential total ammount.

See if there's a Carlton Institute (I'm currently doing my nv2 2 beauty therapy there) near you or a Beauty Academy (I've not been there before)...they both do courses where you attend the practicals intensively over a week and then do treatments and extra study at home (look it up via google)

Also, you may be entitled to financial help to train if you've not already got qualifications of a particular level yet

Hope this helps :)

Latest posts

Back