Beginner - Gel Advice Please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bezza

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after some advice from all of you experienced girls!! I'm looking to start using a gel, mainly for my own nails and for close friends/family. I don't want to take it into a business necessarily but wondered what product you would recommend. At the moment I still get my nails done in a salon, with bio sculpture gel. I really like the product but don't really want to pay for the massive cost of the course. I'm happy to do lots of practice and watch DVD's etc.

Would you recommend that I definitely need to go on a course or are there some products that are a little simpler to use than others? And any that are a little cheaper? I love the simplicity of bio gel and that it is just a case of nail prep and then the application.

Thanks muchly lovelies!!! x x :lol:

it appears very simple, and indeed it is one of the easiest products to apply, but thats because your nail technician has been trained.
no one who has no training will have the knowledge to do a proper and safe job or be able to troubleshoot should things go wrong.
everyone who uses biosculpture has completed their costly training because biosculpture do not sell to anyone who has not passed their course.

It not as easy has it looks if you seriously want to learn then do a course but please dont attempt it without any training.

Hi...x

Unfortunately you may not get the answers you want to hear...this site is really for professional techs who have invested alot of time and money into being the best they can be in their chosen industry.

I will say that 99% of the members on this site will tell you that training is the only way to go.

Even though you say you will only be working on family/friends...that can soon expand and you will be expected to have insurance....and for that you need a certificate of training.

Imagine this.... you decide to do friends/families nails and manage to get pro products from unauthorized sources. because you haven't been trained you get into all kinds of difficulties...(and you will...its not anywhere nears as easy as it looks or as simple as just slapping it on) you then say that the product you used was rubbish...when in fact it was your lack of training..not the product...would this be fair to the persons nails you have done and more than likely damaged in the meantime....or fair to the brand that you are saying was rubbish...and that your friend tells people was rubbish...and she tells her friend....ect....yet down the road is a hard working nail tech who uses that brand successfully because she has had the required training...now her business is effected because its got round that the brand she uses (the brand you used) was rubbish...and that having nail enhancements ruins your nails because unfortunately thats what you had done.

We are passionate about our industry...our livelyhoods ... and thats why untrained people playing nail tech is a sore point...it damages our industry...livelyhoods....that we have put so much time and money into.

If you want to do you own nails or friends and family then thats fine...but please take a course, you never know...you might get hooked and start a new career...:lol:

Ang.....You took the words right out of mouth hun!!! xx

Hi...x

Unfortunately you may not get the answers you want to hear...this site is really for professional techs who have invested alot of time and money into being the best they can be in their chosen industry.

I will say that 99% of the members on this site will tell you that training is the only way to go.

Even though you say you will only be working on family/friends...that can soon expand and you will be expected to have insurance....and for that you need a certificate of training.

Imagine this.... you decide to do friends/families nails and manage to get pro products from unauthorized sources. because you haven't been trained you get into all kinds of difficulties...(and you will...its not anywhere nears as easy as it looks or as simple as just slapping it on) you then say that the product you used was rubbish...when in fact it was your lack of training..not the product...would this be fair to the persons nails you have done and more than likely damaged in the meantime....or fair to the brand that you are saying was rubbish...and that your friend tells people was rubbish...and she tells her friend....ect....yet down the road is a hard working nail tech who uses that brand successfully because she has had the required training...now her business is effected because its got round that the brand she uses (the brand you used) was rubbish...and that having nail enhancements ruins your nails because unfortunately thats what you had done.

We are passionate about our industry...our livelyhoods ... and thats why untrained people playing nail tech is a sore point...it damages our industry...livelyhoods....that we have put so much time and money into.

If you want to do you own nails or friends and family then thats fine...but please take a course, you never know...you might get hooked and start a new career...:lol:
I have to totally agree with Bagpuss most professionals on here have spent a lot to be fully trained in what the do and what products they use.

I would suggest you look into training you might find you love doing it so much you want to make a career out of it :hug:

thanks for your replies girls, and for raking the time for all that typing!!! Seems to me like I'm going to do a course then!!! I live doing my own nails anyway and just wanted to know if I could get to the next stage. I didn't mean to sound like it sounded easy to do it, sorry if I upset anyone. I should have mentioned- when I last got my bio sculpture done there was a girl there who had just passed her interview for starting as a nail tech. She works at a car showroom and I was surprised when she said she had only done a 4 day course and got the job as a nail tech for a major company- nails Inc. Maybe they door more training with her but it made me think that if she's getting paid to do peoples nails I could have a go at doing my own! But I really didn't mean to pis@ anyone off!!! :)

What course would you recommend if I wanted to do gel only? Has anyone seem the course by acrygel? I have a full time job already so would need to be a part time course in the midlands. Thank you all again, bezza x

Fifitrix- sorry to have annoyed you. I came on to ask for advice about doing a course etc and what was recommended, I wasn't trying to undermine what you professionals do. It was just because I enjoy painiting and generally doing my own nails and thought there may be a way I could carry on with that enjoyment and help family/friends at the same time! I know now that I can't just have a go and need to get properly trained if I am going to give it a go. Either way, I'm sorry for irking you!! :)

Hiya ... what a lovely come back...:hug:

If its Bio that you have been having and like then I'd stick with that....even if you did a cheaper course you still wouldn't be able to use Bio because you have to train with Bio to purchase their gels.

I would imagine the training price will include the kit....so you wouldn't have to do all that many sets of nails on your family and friends to easily earn that money back.

Good luck with it....xx

Thanks again and no worries fifitrix!!! Am going through old threads trying to read about Brisa gels and what the difference is to bio sculpture. Will carry on ploughing through, thanks girls!!

Latest posts

Back