Being made a fool of......?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try looking at a busy hair salon and ask if you can rent a 'Table' space. That way you only pay rent but your stock is your own, and what you take from the clients is your own earnings. I rent a room for £80:00 per week. Its all my own stock and I work the hours that suit me. What I earn is mine - less tax, insurance which is paid by me. Then advertise, flyers etc. Good luck. xx
I pay about the same, £350 per calender month and this is an upgrade to the bigger beauty room which has been left empty for a while. I moved into it a month ago. I work my own hours too. If i have gaps through the day i can go home for a few hours if i want to. Comes handy during half term holidays when it goes a bit quite, i can come home and spend time with my boys. I come and go has i please and i made sure of all this before i took the salon on.

I pay about the same, £350 per calender month and this is an upgrade to the bigger beauty room which has been left empty for a while. I moved into it a month ago. I work my own hours too. If i have gaps through the day i can go home for a few hours if i want to. Comes handy during half term holidays when it goes a bit quite, i can come home and spend time with my boys. I come and go has i please and i made sure of all this before i took the salon on.

Hi Karen, yes sounds the same as me. I will pop home if i'm quiet but have my mobile on at all times, so I can go back. I think you must sort out the do's and don'ts before so you know what you are taking on and expectations on both sides. i am totally separate from the Hair salon and I am really lucky as we all get on so well. It is totally madness some days and we all go home with headaches from laughing so much. The clients love it too as they can have everything done in one place. I'm one of these people who is not prepared to slog my guts for someone elses gain, so could never work for someone else. Good luck with your new room. I've been in mine now coming up two years and loving every minute. xx

Ok I've not read all replies and can understand how you feel as I just wanted the experience when I started out but I was employed to start with for 2 years for the experience and support (I was very lucky and had a fantastic boss!) Then ever since I've been self employed. When I left employment I paid £50 a day for a chair in a beauty salon, then after there I paid £400 a month renting 2 rooms above a hair salon. I now work within a hair and beauty salon, there are beauty therapists there too (they are employed though) and I use all my own products, nothing is supplied and I give the salon owner 30% of what I take as rent.
Hope this has helped hun :wink2:

Hi Karen, yes sounds the same as me. I will pop home if i'm quiet but have my mobile on at all times, so I can go back. I think you must sort out the do's and don'ts before so you know what you are taking on and expectations on both sides. i am totally separate from the Hair salon and I am really lucky as we all get on so well. It is totally madness some days and we all go home with headaches from laughing so much. The clients love it too as they can have everything done in one place. I'm one of these people who is not prepared to slog my guts for someone elses gain, so could never work for someone else. Good luck with your new room. I've been in mine now coming up two years and loving every minute. xx
If i don't want to be bothered when i go home then i will put a cross in my book on the times im not going to be available to come in at a minutes notice. Yes and i keep my mobile on at all times just incase they need to conact me. I have my own salon key too.
I agree with making sure of all the do's and don't before taking any position on on both sides. I had a massive list of stuff i wanted to ask before i agreed! lol All they requested was for me to pay rent on time and be reliable and help out with a bit of cleaning now and then. The last beauty girl was unreliable. I do their nails in exchange for my hair and my 3 men. :biggrin:

I am really lucky i know i am. I have an owner who is absolutely brill too. When i first started i had a bit of bad chest and thought it may be because i was stuck in a small room all day. The next week i went to work she had fitted me another vent in the wall for added air circulation. I had already had a extractor fan fitted before i started. If i need anything, guaranteed i have it within a day or too. Nothing like the last salon which seemed to be falling to bits.

I love my new room! I'm dying to take some pics to upload in my album but my camera keeps playing up. xx

If i don't want to be bothered when i go home then i will put a cross in my book on the times im not going to be available to come in at a minutes notice. Yes and i keep my mobile on at all times just incase they need to conact me. I have my own salon key too.
I agree with making sure of all the do's and don't before taking any position on on both sides. I had a massive list of stuff i wanted to ask before i agreed! lol All they requested was for me to pay rent on time and be reliable and help out with a bit of cleaning now and then. The last beauty girl was unreliable. I do their nails in exchange for my hair and my 3 men. :biggrin:

I am really lucky i know i am. I have an owner who is absolutely brill too. When i first started i had a bit of bad chest and thought it may be because i was stuck in a small room all day. The next week i went to work she had fitted me another vent in the wall for added air circulation. I had already had a extractor fan fitted before i started. If i need anything, guaranteed i have it within a day or too. Nothing like the last salon which seemed to be falling to bits.

I love my new room! I'm dying to take some pics to upload in my album but my camera keeps playing up. xx

OMG you sound just like me!!! I do her nails, waxing etc and in turn my hair gets done (& my families). I have a few photos of my room on my profile but have just redecorated and changed my colour scheme. I also recovered my furniture!! So get some pictures on your profile.

I think as we have found out setting up working relationships is so important, as with you all that is asked from me is to pay my rent and on time, the rest is left to me. Again I have my own key so can work whenever. Its great freedom when you work your own hours even if they are outside the salons hours. Bless ya. xx

Thanks everyone :)

I've had a ring round today and happily I think I have somewhere else that's really nice to go to and good rent and the % being asked isn't horrendous either!

Thank you again for all your advice and support. Its given me confidence in myself again!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I've had a ring round today and happily I think I have somewhere else that's really nice to go to and good rent and the % being asked isn't horrendous either!

Thank you again for all your advice and support. Its given me confidence in myself again!

Good luck, hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

xxx

Yes good luck from me too. :biggrin:

I pay a set rent each week for my room, provide my own products, work Wen I want, u cud earn 30 a day just by doing one set mobile, you have nothing to lose, get out now!

Latest posts

Back